Prime Time: How middle-class 'wealth' went up in smoke...

MsAnneThrope

9:35pm RTÉ One

Will the word 'property' feature in a word cloud?

Cael

The Irish Middle Class were turkeys voting for Christmas. The landed oligarchy took them to the cleaners. It wasnt very difficult to do, given the lack of education among the Irish middle classes.

PUFF DADDY

Define "middle class" Cael. I am curious, seriously. What is the salary range starting point of said "class" for example ?

grafter1

Hopefully they'll refrain from asking for sympathy for those who thought AIB shares were on a one way trip to €100 per share and the dividend would pay for peoples lifestyles

hmmm

"Why won't someone else pay our debts Joe? Why? Is it not the birthright of everyone in this country to be rich? People fought and died for this Joe."

MsAnneThrope

I wonder will RTÉ show the clips from 6:01 News that they had over the years of couples packing in their well-paid jobs to become full-time 'property investors'. They were essentially just flipping houses week after week thinking they were the new Donald Trumps of Ireland.

And young people already in one of the 'professions' packing in their jobs to work on construction sites, because the money was better, even for bricklayers.

Or the wealthy farmers who had flogged land in Ireland drooling drunkenly over belly-dancers in Bulgarian nightclubs, having just 'invested' in property over there. That was also on RTÉ 6:01 News circa 2006.

Jays, they really were mad times. But the maddest thing of all is many people in Ireland think those times were normal, and it will only be a year or two before we're back there. I wouldn't be surprised if some politicians will canvass on that basis...

Mister men

I expect a lot of...."It's so unfair like, like i can't even afford a 2010 car for goodness sake like"....kind of rubbish.

Cael

Define "middle class" Cael. I am curious, seriously. What is the salary range starting point of said "class" for example ?
At this stage, your efforts to deny the existence of classes is cretinous.

McDave

Star Date 2007: "I have a red brick in Drumcondra. I'm a millionaire!"

McDave

I expect a lot of...."It's so unfair like, like i can't even afford a 2010 car for goodness sake like"....kind of rubbish.
I've just heard the ad on the telly. According to Mariam O'Colloghon, it's something to do with the "crosh". Expect some serious "mongling" of the English language. Like.

McDave

Thank God the main feature is being chaired by Richard Crowley. I just wouldn't be able to tolerate O'Callaghan smarming it up.

G

Gimpanzee

Excellent programme on Channel 4 at the moment if anyone doesn't fancy Prime Time- Britains Trillion Pound Horror Story, dealing with their national debt.

It is surprising how anti-big government it is. Quality though.

Darling, Lamont among the contributors

Goban Saor

A middle class person is someone is educated and has extra value attached to their productivity. They have have more control over their means of their production compared to say manual labours but as much control ove rtheir employment as smalll business owners or lawyers.

Middle class would be teachers, nurses or skilled office workers.

Barrycelona

The Irish Middle Class were turkeys voting for Christmas. The landed oligarchy took them to the cleaners. It wasnt very difficult to do, given the lack of education among the Irish middle classes.
Cael, What is your defintion of middle class. What level of salary does a middle class person have to earn to qualify. Russia did not have a middle class, they had the elite which Comrade Lenin was part of and they had the ordinary Joe Soaps who starved. Much like Ireland, I accept, but at least we have some recourse, Democracy, Give me MIDDLE CLASS IRELAND ANY DAY.

Last edited:

Cael

A middle class person is someone is educated and has extra value attached to their productivity. They have have more control over their means of their production compared to say manual labours but as much control ove rtheir employment as smalll business owners or lawyers.

Middle class would be teachers, nurses or skilled office workers.
They dont have any more control over their labour than manual workers do. They are still wage-slaves. Nor are they always getting a higher price for their labour. Often the likes of plumbers are more highly paid than teachers. What would really single out the middle class, at this point in time, is not having to worry where their next pay cheque is coming from, and not having to worry that that pay cheque will not cover the basic cost of living. By that definition, the middle class is now an endangered species.

Mondo

Danny McCoy

Eat the sick, the old, the unemployed.

Their blood will make you strong, so you can earn to fund the FF folly.

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies