• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Prime Time SPECIAL Wed 21/11/2012 @ 21:35: Miriam interviews Praveen Halappanavar

Norman Bates

Twitter
norman60bates

Unusually for Wednesday, Prime Time are on air for a Special tonight where Miriam O’Callaghan interviews Praveen Halappanavar, husband of Savita.

Today saw Praveen Halappanavar saying he will not meet the chairman of the Health Service Executive Inquiry into his wife Savita's death - the family wants a public inquiry funded by the Government.

Mr Halappanavar said he has no confidence in the HSE to lead the investigation, as he fears there could be some bias if it is carried out by people paid by the Executive. He went public with his story because "there was nothing happening for two weeks. I had to answer the family back home... They couldn't believe it. It was such a simple case." He said "they should have thought about the bigger life when they couldn't save the baby".

Meanwhile, the Irish Patients' Association has asked Health Minister James Reilly to allow the independent health watchdog, the Health Information and Quality Authority, to conduct the investigation.

… and so it goes on, and on. Tonight Prime Time’s interview should be well worth a look ..

Halappanavar will not meet HSE inquiry chairman - RTÉ News
Probe into Savita shambles goes from bad to worse - National News - Independent.ie
Reilly won't halt HSE inquiry as husband vows boycott - News, Frontpage - Herald.ie
Kenny appeals to Savita husband - The Irish Times - Wed, Nov 21, 2012
Savita Halappanavar inquiry: doctors dropped over hospital links | World news | The Guardian
BBC News - Savita Halappanavar: Galway doctors dropped from death inquiry

http://www.politics.ie/forum/current-affairs/200656-attempted-galway-inquiry-fix-end-bufoon-reilly.html
http://www.politics.ie/forum/health-social-affairs/200587-husband-savita-objects-hse-inquiry-members.html
http://www.politics.ie/forum/health-social-affairs/200088-woman-dies-galway-hospital-after-being-refused-termination.html
http://www.politics.ie/forum/backstage/200628-primetime-irish-people-being-railroaded-into-pro-abortion-regime.html
http://www.politics.ie/forum/backstage/200116-vinb-wed-14-11-2012-savita-halappanavar-rip.html

Online: Aertv | Watch Irish TV live online RTE player: - RTÉ News Player

Last edited:

Ryan Tubbs

Clips of it on Drivetime now.

Sounds like it's going to be just like an edition of "Miriam Meets" - with Mammaries O'Callaghan doing her whispering, choked up, just-on-the-verge-of-tears routine throughout.

Cirio

Praveen Halappanavar.

It may be a small detail, but it's nice to see that unfortunate individuals who are thrust into the centre of tragedy/public controversy don't always have to sacrifice their surnames.

slippy wicket

Clips of it on Drivetime now.

Sounds like it's going to be just like an edition of "Miriam Meets" - with Mammaries O'Callaghan doing her whispering, choked up, just-on-the-verge-of-tears routine throughout.
Much as I feel sympathy for the man, perhaps he would be better served by not lawyering up.
He as a visitor to our shores must understand that refusing to meet the head of the investigation will do him no favours with the wider public.

With the Irish history of public inquiry's we would not have a result this decade and would just end up enriching parasitic legals.

Last edited:

Cirio

Much as I feel sympathy for the man, perhaps he would be better served by not lawyering up.
He as a visitor to our shores must understand that being so overly demanding and even refusing to meet the head of the investigation will do him no favours with the wider public.

With the Irish history of public inquiry's we would not have a result this decade and would just end up enriching parasitic legals.
He's a taxpayer, as was his late wife.

deepness

He as a visitor to our shores must understand that being so overly demanding and even refusing to meet the head of the investigation will do him no favours with the wider public.

The mans wife died in the HSE's care and you are calling him over demanding, as a visitor to these shores? He lived here with his wife, who I assume as a dentist was a taxpayer. Over demanding my eye and the attempt by some people on this site to cast a slur on this man is truly disgusting.

Simple fact is the government seem to have no clue how to handle this properly and are making a hames of it so far.

Frank Galton

They won't have much appetite for it, but RTE should be disclosing whether this interview was arranged via an intermediary and if any questions have been declared off-limits in advance or other conditions imposed to obtain the interview.

slippy wicket

The mans wife died in the HSE's care and you are calling him over demanding, as a visitor to these shores? He lived here with his wife, who I assume as a dentist was a taxpayer. Over demanding my eye and the attempt by some people on this site to cast a slur on this man is truly disgusting.

Simple fact is the government seem to have no clue how to handle this properly and are making a hames of it so far.
I agree about the governments handling, it had the bang of an omnishambles off it.

Regarding the first part of your post, my only point was that perhaps he is being badly advised. No more no less.

oceanclub

Website
oceanclub.blogspot.com
The Irish peasant psyche boiled down into one sentence.

P.

wombat

I think I'll stick with CL highlights:lol:

dent

The Irish peasant psyche boiled down into one sentence.

P.
Nonsense. Someone would want to have a talk with him. He was dead right to demand the 3 boyos be excluded but he's losing in demanding the Inquiry. If he wasn't satisfied with the outcome of the review he could cry foul and it would ignite all over again. By refusing to meet the head of the review team, he's taken greatly from his fight for justice.

reddymix

The pro-choice campaigners seem to be dictating the agenda to the govt.

Eoin Coir

when last did RTE cancel normal schedules , and do a PT special ?

Ryan Tubbs

Biggest shock they can get is if Gov announces a new referendum along lines of 2002 one.
Given the crazy way this issue has gone in the last week or so, this doesn't seem to be a completely outlandish outcome. There just isn't the support within the Dáil for any legislation which allows the threat of suicide as grounds for an abortion.

Ryan Tubbs

Yep, it's heading that way, Meeeriam slowing deaun(sic) the delivery and getting all choked up.

Won't be able to watch- removing a blockage under the main 'cludgie'.

Looks like blocked with tamps.

Investigation underway!!:shock2:
"I can see you're close to tears there, and I'm not far behind you to be honest....."

And to think that RTE think that her dross is worth €300k per annum