Prime Time thread

Dame_Enda

I thought a dedicated Prime Time thread would make sense since there's one on the Late Debate.

I disagree with the lady on tonight who said that the internet child-safety focus should not be on parents but rather statutory instruments. I believe it should be both. At the end of the day the parent has wide control over their child's internet access.

Interestedhopeful

I thought a dedicated Prime Time thread would make sense since there's one on the Late Debate.

I disagree with the lady on tonight who said that the internet child-safety focus should not be on parents but rather statutory instruments. I believe it should be both. At the end of the day the parent has wide control over their child's internet access.
I think the focus has to be on parents, whether it's child safety or dealing with anti-social behaviour, it's their personal responsibility to care for their children. "Care" does not mean throwing an iPad at a 6 year old or letting a teen roam the streets till the the middle of the night.

This country is a joke in general when it comes to child protection. We've loons like Jim Daly chanting 'think of the children' online while they've let dozens of Tom Humphries-types of polite society in under their noses and giving them light sentences when caught. Let's not even think about going into "the past". No credibility on this issue.

Not to also mention the fact that the same government wants to Repeal the Eighth in a manner which will cause in an untold number of deaths of children in the womb (a minimum of 5,000 per annum).

Expose the lot of them

I loathe Patrica Callan but tonight she is talking sense, the "labour" fool promoting his latest brainfart, cancer labels on booze. Like the crazy hours when supermarkets/off licences can sell alcohol, this madness will have no impact on "problem drinkers"..

JimmyFoley

I loathe Patrica Callan but tonight she is talking sense, the "labour" fool promoting his latest brainfart, cancer labels on booze. Like the crazy hours when supermarkets/off licences can sell alcohol, this madness will have no impact on "problem drinkers"..
It might have an impact on other drinkers who don't know about the link between alcohol and cancer, though.

odlum

Horrible anti Fianna Fáil program fronted by anti Fianna Fáil presenters.

Should be called "Slime Time" for the amount of Blueshirt propaganda

Watcher2

Absolutely. Parents are the primary carers and so responsibility should rest on their shoulders. They buy the smart phones, tablets etc for the children. There are parental control apps and software which should be loaded and of course, conversation - talking to your children.

That said, it is so hard to monitor everything and kids get access in many many ways and so regulation needs to step into the void. I didn't see the PT program so I dont know what was specifically covered but the state should play a role here too Id imagine.

Dame_Enda

Absolutely. Parents are the primary carers and so responsibility should rest on their shoulders. They buy the smart phones, tablets etc for the children. There are parental control apps and software which should be loaded and of course, conversation - talking to your children.

That said, it is so hard to monitor everything and kids get access in many many ways and so regulation needs to step into the void. I didn't see the PT program so I dont know what was specifically covered but the state should play a role here too Id imagine.
I mean, the internet first arrived in the 1990s, when a lot of these parents were themselves children, and when the media often talked about these dangers from the internet. In that context I wonder how parents of that generation (now in late 30s early 40s) cant have known there was this risk when getting smartphones? Maybe they werent tech-savvy at that time and know no better? I do think the current generation of young people is much more interested in the internet than mine was at that age.

Watcher2

I mean, the internet first arrived in the 1990s, when a lot of these parents were themselves children, and when the media often talked about these dangers from the internet. In that context I wonder how parents of that generation (now in late 30s early 40s) cant have known there was this risk when getting smartphones? Maybe they werent tech-savvy at that time and know no better? I do think the current generation of young people is much more interested in the internet than mine was at that age.
The smart phone and tablets came post 90's. What year was the first iphone launched?

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
I believe the joke about the dail deputy who had to go to hospital after he read the label on a bean tin...'remove lid and stand in hot water for 20mins"

So they say put warning labels on beer and wine, increase the cost of beer and wine, hide away the beer and wine....then they open the pubs an extra day so they can take the millions in tax from beer and wine. Are they all fools?

Ireland is Different!

Tonight's PT focused on rural crime and lack of consistency in sentening.
Minister for Jutice Charlie Flanagan just interviewed there and oh my, what a terrible performance. Kept repeating the same few stats about Gardai resources...even took credit for the Gardai having stingers to stop suspect cars! And seemed to be claimig that the Gardai helicopter was in place thanks to FG.
Reckoned criminals with dozens and dozens of convictions were exceptions to the norm!

Safe to say that the FG monicker of the 'law and order party' is well and truly buried these days

Gin Soaked

Minister for Jutice Charlie Flanagan just interviewed there and oh my, what a terrible performance. Kept repeating the same few stats about Gardai resources...even took credit for the Gardai having stingers to stop suspect cars! And seemed to be claimig that the Gardai helicopter was in place thanks to FG.
Reckoned criminals with dozens and dozens of convictions were exceptions to the norm!

Safe to say that the FG monicker of the 'law and order party' is well and truly buried these days
Consecutive sentences for recidivists.

No bail if up on recidivist charges .

Third conviction for any offence automatically gets maximum sentence for same.

No term of sentence being suspended if third conviction for that category of crime, or any violent or burglary crime.

Now that would be "law and order".

seanof

Many people in rural areas don't bother their ar$es to report burglaries anymore. They know from experience what will happen - nothing.

fifilawe

He spent all day learning his lines off by heart as instructed by his "handler/Assistant" which the taxpayer is paying for.Like all TDs before and till Doomsday the secret is "Get the party message out into public" and F**** the interviewer.Did you by chance see "The Donald Duck" pics online today with his notes on what to say to the poor students and parents from that Florida school. "I hear You" was clearly to be seen for the "Donald Duck" to say along with other stuff. Charlie Fl***** just learns the lines by rote so we can't see any evidence

seanof

I believe the joke about the dail deputy who had to go to hospital after he read the label on a bean tin...'remove lid and stand in hot water for 20mins"

So they say put warning labels on beer and wine, increase the cost of beer and wine, hide away the beer and wine....then they open the pubs an extra day so they can take the millions in tax from beer and wine. Are they all fools?
The warnings are virtue signalling. The extra opening day is an indication of social "liberalism". Neither are intended to benefit society. They're both PR efforts, as are most of the day to day actions of the current government.

Ireland is Different!

Charlie Fl***** just learns the lines by rote so we can't see any evidence
And yet his delivery was so poor. Repeating the same lines near the end.
Also through out the nugget that he believes people on bail are innocent until proven guilty.

And now for something I never thought I'd say....Mattie McGrath was spot on tonight.
Too many legal eagles in the Dail who want to keep the cash flowing for their friends in Kings Inns and the Law Library

autiemom

What about the disproporionate amount of perpetrators of these crimes being from a certain ethnic minority, it baffles me this is never addressed

Ireland is Different!

What about the disproporionate amount of perpetrators of these crimes being from a certain ethnic minority, it baffles me this is never addressed
I felt Prime Time alluded to them on a few occassions with mention of 'travelling gangs' but you now yourself, the elephant in the room cannot be addressed

New Threads