Prince Charles : Prince Andrew : The British royal family

McSlaggart

Every country has a head of state. I have seen Prince Charles in action and he appears a perfectly nice person who is doing a rather crappy job. The truth was on the day that Charles was visiting their was not many people rushing to see him. (It should be said this was an offical visit rather than a personal one (yes he does visit people in northern Ireland unoffically).

Do you think that its time for the UK to start electing its head of state once the current head of state is finished doing her job?

Mickeymac

Every country has a head of state. I have seen Prince Charles in action and he appears a perfectly nice person who is doing a rather crappy job. The truth was on the day that Charles was visiting their was not many people rushing to see him. (It should be said this was an offical visit rather than a personal one (yes he does visit people in northern Ireland unoffically).

Do you think that its time for the UK to start electing its head of state once the current head of state is finished doing her job?

In that case they would probably vote the spice girls as heads of state ffs.😁

Glaucon

The British are happy with their monarchy and, to be fair, it gives them a direct link to the very ancient past. The current monarch is a descendant of the first Anglo-Saxon Kings of England. An elected President would have very much less prestige and tourist interest, and the name "United Kingdom" would lose its meaning.

The Royal household is another matter. There is a good chance that dregs like Andrew will be kicked off the Royal salary list once the current Queen dies.

blinding

Our Crock of the Golds Pensions Leprechaun could do a Spell for them if any more are caught with their pants down .

owedtojoy

The British are happy with their monarchy and, to be fair, it gives them a direct link to the very ancient past. The current monarch is a descendant of the first Anglo-Saxon Kings of England. An elected President would have very much less prestige and tourist interest, and the name "United Kingdom" would lose its meaning.

The Royal household is another matter. There is a good chance that dregs like Andrew will be kicked off the Royal salary list once the current Queen dies.
That is pretty where I am at.

I can stomach a single family providing Heads of State - Monarch, spouse and heirs. Personally, I would always prefer to be a citizen in a Republic than a subject in a Monarchy, but if you prefer tradition, I am ok with that.

It is the rest of the hangers-on, arse-lickers, blood-suckers and f**king nobs that piss me off. Waste of space, waste of public money. A more modest Monarchy like Sweden's would be better for the 21st Century.

owedtojoy

Our Crock of the Golds Pensions Leprechaun could do a Spell for them if any more are caught with their pants down .
At least he has not money stolen from the Russian or Irish people salted away in the Caymans or Panama, like Putin has.

McTell

Twitter
No
Every country has a head of state. //

What they do next door is up to them.

Given our small size, we could do with a head of state executive, like in france and the Usa. So long as he's wearing a saffron kilt.

Talk Back

Fakes - the lot of them.

Britain's Real Monarchs - a Tony Robinson documentary.

Ardillaun

The family and country lucked out with QEII but after her the basic flaw in a hereditary system will become apparent. Apparently, Charles is keen on thinning the royal herd down to the immediate heirs which would be a good thing.

blinding

When she dies , she will get a bigger funeral than Gay Byrne . Gays funeral was to save Rte and the Queens funeral will be to save the British Monarchy . Will Andy ( if he has survived the ultimate silencing ) be allowed to the Wake ?

So, Gay Byrne = To save Irish Royalty

and the Queen to save her ‘ Firm '

Same game really .

Levellers

The British are happy with their monarchy and, to be fair, it gives them a direct link to the very ancient past. The current monarch is a descendant of the first Anglo-Saxon Kings of England.
The current BRF is descended from a minor duchy in Germany and has no connection with Anglo-Saxon monarchs.

Emily Davison

In that case they would probably vote the spice girls as heads of state ffs.😁
Which one?

I guess it would have to be Posh Spice. She knows how to rock in a dress, never smiles and her name is regal.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Update from the National Dynamics Observation Desk:

In Windsor there is a castle in which sits a Queen. At a nearby institution a senior officer there is a direct descendant of James II and James IV. What a curious thing it must be for that person to walk past the walls of Windsor Castle and know that but for a vagary of history he could well have been perched on the Big Chair in the castle instead of the Queen.

Don't get me wrong. He's not on his uppers or anything like it. But going to and from the station at Windsor he'd definitely be walking in the shadow of the monarchy in more ways than one.

Good enough for a one-act play that situation. Anyone got a number for Mr Shakespeare?

owedtojoy

The current BRF is descended from a minor duchy in Germany and has no connection with Anglo-Saxon monarchs.
The male "founder" of the House of Windsor was Albert, Prince Consort of Queen Victoria, of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. The name Windsor was adopted to counter anti-German sentiments in World War I. Their cousins the Battenbergs changed their name to Mountbatten.

Through Queen Victoria of the House of Hanover they can trace their line through George I very tenuously back to the Stuarts and the Tudors.

George I's maternal grandmother was a daughter of James I Stuart of England, and he was a Protestant, so had the best claim by the Act of Succession. James I was a Great-Great-Great Grandson of Henry VII Tudor.

Henry Vii's claim to the English throne was gossamer-thin also, but that is another story. However, technically, through Queen Victoria, the House of Windsor can claim a line of descent back to the medieval House of Plantagenet .

The House of Plantagenet have a tenuous connection to the House of Wessex, who were Anglo-Saxon. The founder of the Plantagenets, Henry II, had a Great-Great-Great Grandfather on his mother's side, who had a claim to the Anglo-Saxon throne.

Last edited:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Mind you, some of the Plantagenets had fairly thin claims as well.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Not sure if still done now in some dark recusant corners of England but on hearing the loyal toast at dinner those who would still be of the view that the Stuarts are rightful monarchs in England used to pass a hand over the water glass at their table setting to signify that their loyalty was to the true king, who was 'over the water'. :)

New Threads

Most Replies