Prince Harry, Madness & the Royal Family - should we have sympathy or contempt?

Catalpast

Prince Harry: I sought counselling after 20 years of not thinking about the death of my mother and two years of total chaos in my life
Prince Harry: I sought counselling after 20 years of not thinking about the death of my mother and two years of total chaos in my life

Prince Harry of England has just opened up about his battles with Mental Illness - something he lays at the door of the tragic death of his Mother Diana some 20 years ago now.

He was only 12 I think so that was some blow to deal with at such an early age.

He coped by burying it and by acting the clown a lot the time IMO. But eventually it all welled up and on the advice of The Brother and a few pals he went and got professional help.

Readers will be pleased to note that Harry is feeling a lot better now and I am sure we all wish him a full recovery.

But will it last?

There is a history of Mental Illness in the Royal Family [George III] - could Harry possibly be suffering from a deeper malaise?

He might have a genetic condition called porphyria. The disease causes attacks of severe pain and hallucinations, and those attacks are usually triggered by anything from sun exposure to alcohol.

He really should get that checked while he's at it IMO

But look it must be said that Harry has shown some level of courage in 'coming out' about his struggles with Demons and the absolute necessity of getting professional help and not just bottling everything up.

Everyday is a Battle - but keep on fighting Harry....

sgtharper

That a distant ancestor is generally accepted to have suffered from Porphyria does not constitute "a history of mental illness" in the Royal or any other family.

And what kind of a person would feel contempt for someone with MH problems?

D

Deleted member 45466

"Prince Harry has decided to give an unprecedented insight into his past in the hope it will encourage people to break the stigma surrounding mental health issues."

Yawn

Catalpast

That a distant ancestor is generally accepted to have suffered from Porphyria does not constitute "a history of mental illness" in the Royal or any other family.

Loads unfortunately...

Less so now than before thankfully

But there is still a stigma attached to being mentally ill

At least Harry has shown some balls in admitting he has suffered from it

D

Deleted member 45466

Loads unfortunately...

There's not.

Lots of celebrities have recounted their troubles with mental health issues.

runwiththewind

Loads unfortunately...

Maybe his illness comes from a different family tree!

Levellers

Harry does not need to worry about inheriting any illness from the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha family.

HereWeGoAgain

Maybe his illness comes from a different family tree!
Maybe, just maybe he is not ill at all, and responding as all young people would on losing their beloved mother in tragic circumstances at the age of twelve. The world's media spotlight/intrusion at that time amid speculation surrounding her death certainly would not aid his ability to grieve naturally. So no, Harry's not ill, he's processing just like any ordinary Joe and coming to terms with losing his mother who he will never get to share significant moments of life's journey with, his engagement, marriage, etc.

Happycamping

From the little I know about Prince Harry(don't have a big interest in the royals), I would have thought he reacted pretty typically of someone in his position. Can't see how there was any indication of any mental illness in his actions. Of course I don't have the full picture.

Boy M5

His mental health issues are more due to the dysfunctional family & situation he's been born into than any genetic issues.

I think he and his brother are remarkably balanced all things considered.

sgtharper

Maybe, just maybe he is not ill at all, and responding as all young people would on losing their beloved mother in tragic circumstances at the age of twelve. The world's media spotlight/intrusion at that time amid speculation surrounding her death certainly would not aid his ability to grieve naturally. So no, Harry's not ill, he's processing just like any ordinary Joe and coming to terms with losing his mother who he will never get to share significant moments of life's journey with, his engagement, marriage, etc.
I agree, it's more like PTSD really. A very good friend of mine who tragically lost his wife and youngest child some years ago suffered the same thing for several years. He's over it now I'm glad to say.

Watcher2

"Prince Harry has decided to give an unprecedented insight into his past in the hope it will encourage people to break the stigma surrounding mental health issues."

Yawn
Mental illness is costing lives. Pray it does not befall anyone close to you.

redhead

Prince Harry of England has just opened up about his battles with Mental Illness - something he lays at the door of the tragic death of his Mother Diana some 20 years ago now.

He was only 12 I think so that was some blow to deal with at such an early age.

He coped by burying it and by acting the clown a lot the time IMO. But eventually it all welled up and on the advice of The Brother and a few pals he went and got professional help.

Readers will be pleased to note that Harry is feeling a lot better now and I am sure we all wish him a full recovery.

But will it last?

There is a history of Mental Illness in the Royal Family [George III] - could Harry possibly be suffering from a deeper malaise?

He might have a genetic condition called porphyria. The disease causes attacks of severe pain and hallucinations, and those attacks are usually triggered by anything from sun exposure to alcohol.

He really should get that checked while he's at it IMO

But look it must be said that Harry has shown some level of courage in 'coming out' about his struggles with Demons and the absolute necessity of getting professional help and not just bottling everything up.

Everyday is a Battle - but keep on fighting Harry....
I would respectfully suggest he has a greater chance of contracting rabies from a time travelling monkey than inheriting a rare neurological disorder from a distant relative several hundred years ago.

razorblade

Yawn
Good to know you can be that dismissive of such a serious issue, maybe you don't have anyone close to you who is suffering but many of us do, maybe you can think about that the next time before posting such ignorance as the above.

GDPR

There is no mental illness in the Hewitt family, AFAIK.

Harry happens to be quite the nicest prince and is very much liked. Its not hard to see why. He hasn't had the same burden of expectation as the older one, but he also has a very warm and open personality. I say hats off to him for coming right out with it and saying he has been massively depressed. Ive noticed that in his charity work he takes on things like former soldiers who have lost limbs etc and not just for half an hour twice a year. I would be sure they have discussed depression with him. He looks like hes really trying to make sense of the world around him, instead of just cruising along.

Last edited:

Mad as Fish

While I have no time for the Royal Family as an institution as individuals we must bear in mind that they they didn't choose to be part of it and were brought up with certain expectations, an upbringing that cannot be reversed and they have had to make of their lives what they can. Each has done so differently and we only need to compare the clown Andrew with his sister Anne to appreciate that some do a better job than others.

They are still human and on an individual basis I can sympathize with them over problems that many other humans suffer although they have a better environment in which to suffer.

Old Mr Grouser

... There is a history of Mental Illness in the Royal Family [George III] - could Harry possibly be suffering from a deeper malaise?

He really should get that checked while he's at it IMO ....
A rubbish OP, and a great many rubbish posts.

ZOO

Nice work in thread title. "Madness" indeed.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies