Prince Philip retires from the Line of Duty today

Catalpast

Yes folks the Royal Family's only real character - Prince Philip [above - man in Bowler hat] - officially retires from Public Duty today

His final call was receiving a contingent of Royal Marines who had walked ....(I forget::shock2:)

Anyway he can now retire in comfort and never have to work again

A remarkable achievement I am sure we will all agree

But Phil was never a man to mince his words and has dropped some 'Clangers' along the way

- much to the amusement of the great Unwashed

- and the Embarrassment of the Palace.... :oops:

Here are a few gems:

'Do you work it a strip club?' (to 24-year-old Barnstaple Sea Cadet Elizabeth Rendle when she told him she also worked in a nightclub in March 2010).

'Do you have a pair of knickers made out of this?' pointing to some tartan (to Scottish Conservative leader Annabel Goldie a papal reception in Edinburgh in September 2010).

'Bits are beginning to drop off.' (on approaching his 90th birthday, 2011).

'How many people have you knocked over this morning on that thing?' (meeting disabled David Miller who drives a mobility scooter at the Valentine Mansion in Redbridge in March 2012).

'I would get arrested if I unzipped that dress.' (to 25-year-old council worker Hannah Jackson, who was wearing a dress with a zip running the length of its front, on a Jubilee visit to Bromley, Kent, in May 2012)

'The Philippines must be half empty as you're all here running the NHS.' (on meeting a Filipino nurse at a Luton hospital in February 2013)

'Just take the f***ing picture.' (losing patience with an RAF photographer at events to mark the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain - July 2015)

'You look starved.' (to a pensioner on a visit to the Charterhouse almshouse for elderly men - February 2017)

Other quotes:

'Are you asking me if the Queen is going to die?' (on being questioned on when the Prince of Wales would succeed to the throne)

'If the man had succeeded in abducting Anne, she would have given him a hell of a time while in captivity.' (On a gunman who tried to kidnap the Princess Royal in 1974).

'If it doesn't fart or eat hay, she's not interested.' (on the Princess Royal)

'When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife.' (on marriage).

'It's a pleasant change to be in a country that isn't ruled by its people.' (to Alfredo Stroessner, the Paraguayan dictator).
'Where did you get that hat?' (supposedly to Queen at her Coronation).

Read more: Prince Philip's best-loved gaffes as he attends last event | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Read more: Prince Philip's best-loved gaffes as he attends last event | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I am sure we wish him all the best in his retirement!:cool:

Mad as Fish

I wish he'd turn the microphone off.' (muttered at the Royal Variety Performance as he watched Sir Elton John perform, 2001).

I'd have some empathy there.

Mad as Fish

A man who's lived of taxpayers expenses his whole life retires.
But don't they all? Just so long as they keep marrying pretty fillies they'll get away with it.

artfoley56

Phillip retires from Line of Duty

Never saw him in it. Was he working with dot cottan?

The System Works

Website
www.thesystemworks.wordpress.com
Twitter
@mendingtheworld
Probably the greatest ambassador for this country in the postwar era. To hell with political correctness and be your own man. A model for us all.

Last edited:

Mushroom

'I would get arrested if I unzipped that dress.' (to 25-year-old council worker Hannah Jackson, who was wearing a dress with a zip running the length of its front, on a Jubilee visit to Bromley, Kent, in May 2012)

I'd happily have put up his bail, if he had!

Wascurito

I think Irish people got his salty wit more than most.

Niall996

Retired from what? A lifetime of nothingness.

Analyzer

It is all Greek to me....

Mad as Fish

Does this also mean the final curtain call for the bowler hat?

Sync

[video=youtube;PVrEwCa8nSA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVrEwCa8nSA[/video]

storybud1

Nicola Sturgeon, Theresa May, Mary Robinson, Obama, Hilary, etc,,

Oh good fook NO,

Give me a few pints with Prince Phillip anyday,,

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Huge sighs of relief all 'round among the royal household staff engaged in public events I would have thought.

Only thing I know about him is that information forwarded by staff to people organising dinners at which he was scheduled to attend used to contain strict instructions about how his G&T should be mixed.

Some people I know held an event at Buck House last year and he was the formal host- in the China room (I think it was) which is the room behind the balcony where the royal family turn out on public occasions and where they are often photographed.

Surprisingly sprightly they say. I've seen the photos from the event- he must be well sick of being photographed by now.

Niall996

Nicola Sturgeon, Theresa May, Mary Robinson, Obama, Hilary, etc,,

Oh good fook NO,

Give me a few pints with Prince Phillip anyday,,
The others are all politicians who had jobs. He's a living waxwork tourist attraction. No comparison. Would you go for a few pints with Thomas the Tank Engine?

blokesbloke

Probably the greatest ambassador for this country in the postwar era. To hell with political correctness and be your own man. A model for us all.
Except that if any "commoner" had said all those things they would likely have seen the inside of a prison cell more than once, as well as losing their jobs.

It's very easy to say to hell with political correctness when you are unsackable from your "job" and immune to arrest (and have 24/7 armed security).

The rest of us have livelihoods which depend on not following his example.

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies