• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Princess Khumalo: ‘Direct provision does not define me’

Schuhart

Given history (http://www.politics.ie/forum/justice/164323-pamela-izevbekhai-deported-sunday-times-78.html), shouldn't journalists do basic fact checking for this kind of article?

Princess Khumalo:

“My mum was the first African air hostess in the 1950s,” says Khumalo. “It was a very glamorous job at the time, and she was so slim and tall. It was during the Smith regime, so it wouldn’t have been easy for her to just walk into an airport and look for a job as a black woman.

The Smith regime was in the 1960s. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Minister_of_Rhodesia

The world's first African air hostess is not from Zimbabwe World's First Black Flight Attendant Honored - NBC News

After her father died, she began playing basketball and quickly discovered she had a natural flair for the sport. By her midteens she was playing for the national squad, and in 1986 she was named Zimbabwe’s sportsperson of the year.

Zimbabwean basketball seems to have had an unimpressive record. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zimbabwe_national_basketball_team

Olympic Games
Appearances None
Medals None
FIBA World Cup
Appearances None
Medals None
African Championship
Appearances 2 (1981)(2015)
Medals None

Seriously, restoring credibility for this kind of article requires work by journalists. They need to regain our confidence.

tigerben

So dangerous that her elder daughter is still safely living in SA .

Fractional Reserve

You are highlighting this one there a thousands of spoofers in Ireland .

Given history (http://www.politics.ie/forum/justice/164323-pamela-izevbekhai-deported-sunday-times-78.html), shouldn't journalists do basic fact checking for this kind of article?

Princess Khumalo:

“My mum was the first African air hostess in the 1950s,” says Khumalo. “It was a very glamorous job at the time, and she was so slim and tall. It was during the Smith regime, so it wouldn’t have been easy for her to just walk into an airport and look for a job as a black woman.

The Smith regime was in the 1960s. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Minister_of_Rhodesia

The world's first African air hostess is not from Zimbabwe World's First Black Flight Attendant Honored - NBC News

After her father died, she began playing basketball and quickly discovered she had a natural flair for the sport. By her midteens she was playing for the national squad, and in 1986 she was named Zimbabwe’s sportsperson of the year.

Zimbabwean basketball seems to have had an unimpressive record. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zimbabwe_national_basketball_team

Olympic Games
Appearances None
Medals None
FIBA World Cup
Appearances None
Medals None
African Championship
Medals None

Seriously, restoring credibility for this kind of article requires work by journalists. They need to regain our confidence.

Schuhart

You are highlighting this one there a thousands of spoofers in Ireland .
One spoofer at a time.

More seriously, this story is being presented by the Irish Times as if this is testimony that we should pay attention to. The implication is that this is, in some way, a typical or significant experience of modern Ireland that right-thinking folk should take a few minutes to read.

For it to be worth a few minutes of our time, the newspaper needs to invest some hours to challenge and substantiate the content.

Fractional Reserve

The papers don't think that their are people like yourself that will do a bit of digging , they just print it thinking people will get emotional and believe the drivel they write .
One spoofer at a time.

More seriously, this story is being presented by the Irish Times as if this is testimony that we should pay attention to. The implication is that this is, in some way, a typical or significant experience of modern Ireland that right-thinking folk should take a few minutes to read.

For it to be worth a few minutes of our time, the newspaper needs to invest some hours to challenge and substantiate the content.

Dame_Enda

We shouldn't have flights between Ireland and Zimbabwe. I would add it is an absolutely brutal regime over there but she could have claimed asylum in South Africa. If she's not an economic migrant then why didn't she stay in SA?

As Turkey shows people power can stop a coup. So there clearly is a measure of support for the regime. The security forces are seemingly loyal to Mugabe probably for reported commercial reasons connected to the recent conflict in Congo.

Last edited:

rapparree

Princess Khumalo:

Olympic Games
Appearances None
Medals None
FIBA World Cup
Appearances None
Medals None
African Championship
Medals None

do ya notice they referred to the people smuggler to whom she paid 8,000 quid is referred to as a 'travel agent'

garbage journalism

in addition, she was coming from south africa, not a official warzone which produces refugees

Fallacy Police

do ya notice they referred to the people smuggler to whom she paid 8,000 quid is referred to as a 'travel agent'

garbage journalism

in addition, she was coming from south africa, not a official warzone which produces refugees
I thought this was hilarious actually. You think they'd have a bit of sense of humour and put "travel agent" in quotations.

Dame_Enda

Wish I had 7000 to spend or even 1000. I suppose I must be a refugee too...an internal refugee or something.

OrderoftheDragon

Ah the immigration times, it's probably about time that certain news outlets should have to give a "we are selling an agenda" warning at the bottom of every "news" article they print like insurance agents.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Wish I had 7000 to spend or even 1000. I suppose I must be a refugee too...an internal refugee or something.
You know that refugees don't have to be broke, don't you?

If you had to flee Ireland, would you be able to sell a few things and cobble together a few k?

tsarbomb

If you had to flee Ireland, would you be able to sell a few things and cobble together a few k?

The GDP per capita level in Zimbabwe is $2,133. The likelihood of the average Zimbabwean being able to "sell a few things and cobble together" that amount is the same as the average Irish person being able to sell a few things and cobble together 150,000 euro.

ShoutingIsLeadership

The GDP per capita level in Zimbabwe is $2,133. The likelihood of the average Zimbabwean being able to "sell a few things and cobble together" that amount is the same as the average Irish person being able to sell a few things and cobble together 150,000 euro.
Their house?

Vega1447

Come on SIL. This lady was in SA (unsafe????) then Abu Dhabi (unsafe??).

Why in the name of Jesus did she need to travel to Ireland?????

ShoutingIsLeadership

Come on SIL. This lady was in SA (unsafe????) then Abu Dhabi (unsafe??).

Why in the name of Jesus did she need to travel to Ireland?????
I didn't comment about the case...I challenged the implication that somehow all refugees should be broke.

tsarbomb

Their house?
First of all, if someone were in fear of their life and had to flee their own country it is simple madness to suggest they would ring up an estate agent to sell their house.

Second, do many Zimbaweans own their own homes? A friend of mine used to live there and said most do not.

Thirdly, most Irish people who do "own" their house would not be able to sell it for that amount.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies