Princess Khumalo: ‘Direct provision does not define me’

rapparree

And some want to spend their afternoons googling the record of the Zimbabwean basketball team, because they don't like seeing brown faces on our streets.

are you some sort of gobsh!te?

the woman is as transparent a chancer as ye can get

those of us who pay taxes have to support these parasites, you're probably among their number

Dasayev

Given history (http://www.politics.ie/forum/justice/164323-pamela-izevbekhai-deported-sunday-times-78.html), shouldn't journalists do basic fact checking for this kind of article?

Princess Khumalo:

“My mum was the first African air hostess in the 1950s,” says Khumalo. “It was a very glamorous job at the time, and she was so slim and tall. It was during the Smith regime, so it wouldn’t have been easy for her to just walk into an airport and look for a job as a black woman.

The Smith regime was in the 1960s. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Minister_of_Rhodesia

The world's first African air hostess is not from Zimbabwe World's First Black Flight Attendant Honored - NBC News

The first African air hostess of Air Rhodesia was Isobelle Simba. If that's her mother, then her story checks out.

Mercurial

are you some sort of gobsh!te?

the woman is as transparent a chancer as ye can get

those of us who pay taxes have to support these parasites, you're probably among their number
So you think that perhaps if the Zimbabwean basketball team had won a few medals, her application would have more merit?

Dr Pat

Did the IT and the journalist whose name is on this piece doublecheck any of the information provided before publishing? If so, how was it checked? If doublechecking of facts was not undertaken, as one normally checks facts before publication, why was it not done?

The escapades of Pamela Izevbekhai were quickly consigned to the rubbish hushhush bin - hopefully our media are not running the risk of recycling so blithely surely?

Schuhart

And some want to spend their afternoons googling the record of the Zimbabwean basketball team, because they don't like seeing brown faces on our streets.
You are making a nonsense comment; the plain issue is the lack of fact-checking in the article.
The first African air hostess of Air Rhodesia was Isobelle Simba. If that's her mother, then her story checks out.
No, her story would still be inconsistent. She said
My mum was the first African air hostess in the 1950s
Air Rhodesia was formed in 1964. (see what a few seconds of Googling can do? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Rhodesia)

Dasayev

McTell

Twitter
No
Did the IT and the journalist whose name is on this piece doublecheck any of the information provided before publishing? If so, how was it checked? If doublechecking of facts was not undertaken, as one normally checks facts before publication, why was it not done?

The escapades of Pamela Izevbekhai were quickly consigned to the rubbish hushhush bin - hopefully our media are not running the risk of recycling so blithely surely?

This is the official line now; get a feelgood story for yourself and get someone else to pay the bills.

Ivana Bacik is still dining out on Pamela Iz-- 8 years later:

Senator Bacik calls for a motion on the Pamela Izevbekhai Case » Blog » Ivana Bacik

I echo calls from Senators on both sides of the House for a cross-party motion on Pamela Izevbekhai. I attended the meeting in the audio visual room yesterday when she spoke so powerfully and eloquently about her dreadful experiences in Nigeria and her fears for the safety of her daughters, Naomi and Jemima, who are here in Ireland with her. There is enormous compassion and sympathy for her on both sides of the House.

What was more important in 2008, the banks' effect on millions of taxpayers, or an asylum seeker? Hint; the no-brainer.

Catalpast

I have just read the article from last week about this individual - the self styled 'Princess Khumalo'

- it reads unfortunately like Pammigate II IMO

- though I do hope I am wrong and this woman's bona fides stand up to scrutiny

I notice the article is written up by one Sorcha Pollak

- and at the end it reads

We would like to hear from people who have moved to Ireland in the past five years

email: newtotheparish@irishtimes.com

So tell us Sorcha

- how many Asylum Seekers are housed in your parish?

Schuhart

People can get dates mixed up, but everyone knows who their mother is.
People can make innocent mistakes in casual conversation.

But newspapers should check basic facts before publishing. That's actually the service they are meant to be providing.

If a quick google shows up obvious errors in an article, it means that article is not good.

No need to defend shoddy work.

realistic1

You know that refugees don't have to be broke, don't you?

If you had to flee Ireland, would you be able to sell a few things and cobble together a few k?
I can recall speaking to a missionary who worked in Africa on the topic of Refugees. I was a bit taken back with her response, she said that "the majority of African refugees in Ireland are people of wealth or criminals". She said the majority of Africans only dream about if they will have enough food to last the week. From my experiences with some refugees, I am inclined to believe her.

tsarbomb

I can recall speaking to a missionary who worked in Africa on the topic of Refugees. I was a bit taken back with her response, she said that "the majority of African refugees in Ireland are people of wealth or criminals". She said the majority of Africans only dream about if they will have enough food to last the week. From my experiences with some refugees, I am inclined to believe her.

I lived in Tanzania for while. Most cannot afford to have their own homes and so are forced to live together with their extended families. I don't remember there being any huge issues to do with people not having access to food, but it is likely that this could be a problem in the countryside.

realistic1

I lived in Tanzania for while. Most cannot afford to have their own homes and so are forced to live together with their extended families. I don't remember there being any huge issues to do with people not having access to food, but it is likely that this could be a problem in the countryside.
Africa is a massive Continent, so I suppose access to food is dependent on location. So in your experience in Tanzania do you think ordinary Tanzanian would have funds to fly to Ireland?

McTell

Twitter
No
It's so population driven. There were 7.5m Tanzanians in 1950 and 55m today.

Tanzania Population (2016) - Worldometers

Same resources, 7 times as many mouths to feed. No wonder many want out, but it boils down to their very recent high birth rate.

Dasayev

People can make innocent mistakes in casual conversation.

But newspapers should check basic facts before publishing. That's actually the service they are meant to be providing.

If a quick google shows up obvious errors in an article, it means that article is not good.

No need to defend shoddy work.

The claims made are outlandish, but they also somewhat ambiguous.

And a story like this suggests it's less to do with shoddy work, and more to do with setting an agenda.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies