Princess Meghan of Connaught?

Dame_Enda

Rumours are circulating (including in the pullout pages of the Irish Independent yesterday) that the Queen will revive the defunct title of Duke/Duchess of Connaught for Prince Harry/Meghan Markle, first held by Prince Arthur, son of Queen Victoria.

Article 40, section 2 of the Constitution states in full: 1° Titles of nobility shall not be conferred by the State. 2° No title of nobility or of honour may be accepted by any citizen except with the prior approval of the Government..

Should the Irish government object to this on constitutional and sovereignty grounds?

D

Deleted member 48908

Rumours are circulating (including in the pullout pages of the Irish Independent yesterday) that the Queen will revive the defunct title of Duke/Duchess of Connaught for Prince Harry/Meghan Markle, first held by Prince Arthur, son of Queen Victoria.

Article 40, section 2 of the Constitution states in full: 1° Titles of nobility shall not be conferred by the State. 2° No title of nobility or of honour may be accepted by any citizen except with the prior approval of the Government..

Should the Irish government object to this on constitutional and sovereignty grounds?
She's good looking enough to have hailed from there.

GDPR

LOL, her official title will be Her Royal Highness Prince Henry of Wales.

The Queen will probably make her a Duchess. Sussex, most likely.

Sparkle Sussex, I like it. :D

Deadlock

I'm surprised to see Dame_Enda has beaten Catalpast to this clickbait from the Sindo.

In all deference to the good burghers of Connaught, there are already a wealth of defunct earldoms/duchies in England, never mind the UK, for Queen Elizabeth to choose and bestow, without the need to revive any titles from lands lost in Ireland, the Colonies, or France.

Telstar 62

No wedding invitation for the country's Prime Minister?

Disgusting - whatever she's called.....:mad:

Marcos the black

Should make them Duke/Duchess of Moscow, just for the laugh.

Bill

Neither of them are Irish citizens and the state isn't confering any title so I don't see why the government should care one way or the other.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com

Reading fail by Future Taioseach, since when have Harry or Meghan been citizens of Ireland ?

Cyp

gleeful

Theres a 'Lord' of Athlone I believe. Also one for Limerick. Does it count as a territorial claim on the state?

owedtojoy

LOL, her official title will be Her Royal Highness Prince Henry of Wales.

The Queen will probably make her a Duchess. Sussex, most likely.

Sparkle Sussex, I like it. :D
Surely Charles is the Prince of Wales?

Does Connaught still exist? I know where Connacht is.

Matteradam what she is called. Good luck to both.

Aquilius

Whilst I'm neither for or against this as it would have no standing in Ireland or have any regard to Ireland whatsoever, I find it highly unlikely it will happen. As mentioned above there's many defunct dukedoms and earldoms in the United Kingdom without having to revive ones from former British colonies.

GDPR

Ginger is Prince Henry of Wales, not the Prince of Wales. Do keep up.

former wesleyan

There's a Connaught Circle in New Delhi.

Spirit Of Newgrange

to hell or connacht ? she had better respect the wishes of the Queen.

Catalpast

Interesting idea! :cool:

If there is ever to be a United Ireland then a Monarchy descended from Elizabeth Windsor might be one way of doing it

IIRC its not unheard of - I think the monarchies of Greece and Bulgaria came from various branches of the German Royal Housholds

- and again IIRC King Henry II - he of Laudabiter fame - wanted to make his son John the King of Ireland in his own right.

- as for Prince Harry

- well at least he has Ginger hair.....:cool:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies