• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Principles want homework abolished for all primary school children

controller

Principals want homework abolished for all primary school children

It seems like the National schools want to stop giving out homework to our little darlings.
Sean Cottrell, director of the IPPN, said homework was not suited to lower-achieving children and could remind them of what they could not do.

A little bit PC. They only work about 183 days a year.........that appears to be too much for them, and even if they finish work at 15.00, they should not have to correct homework........when they could be sitting on their holes drinking coffee

Should homework be abolished for all primary school children? - National News, Frontpage - Herald.ie

Last edited:

Sean O'Brian

Principals you mean.

A little bit PC.
Not just a little bit, totally PC. What will now happen in this country is what happened in England - all learning will be reduced to the lowest common denominator in order to preserve the self-esteem of "lower-achieving children". It's Marxist economic ideas applied to education and the results will be completely destructive.

Sync

Are you ******* kidding me? How about we do 2 things:

1. We don't write off primary school kids as low achievers just yet. We frame their homework to involve more parental input. Or hey, maybe give them different, less arduous work to do? We support and help them so they don't become low achievers in life.

2. We don't reduce the amount of work the smarter kids do just to match the lesser lights. We won't tie the fast kid's shoelaces together in PE either.

Good god, they really are trying to ingrain that public sector mentality at an early age.

Joe Biden's wife said last week, "Those who out-educate us today will out-compete us tomorrow." Dead right.

pedagogus

Yes, it might be a mistake. People like yourself obviously did get your spellings corrected. the word is "Principal,"

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
This man should be fired from his job.

He should be calling for older kids to be involved in cleaning up at the school, like they do in Japan. It would cut down on costs too.

Sean O'Brian

Aside from one plank who said "Children have got better things to do with their time" (the only thing they have to do with their time besides homework is playing, which they can do after their homework) all the people the Herald asked said homework should not be abolished, although two people said the amount should be reduced.

Sean O'Brian

"Principals claim it is stressful for children and reduces quality time spent with parents"

Not true since Children spend most of their spare time not with their parents but playing, either outside games like football or Xbox/Playstation/Wii.

Super8

Parents working on homework with their children is very important. It lets the parent know how their child is doing and it's an opportunity for parents to impart knowledge and even learn!

Children need to learn that time and effort are required to achieve a result.

Sync

"Principals claim it is stressful for children and reduces quality time spent with parents"
If the parents don't realise that the time they spend with their kids working on their homework is quality time, then they're pretty hopeless.

theoutsider

Morning Ireland did a piece on this today and parents, kids and some teachers all wanted homework to stay. How else can yuo know how thick or otherwise the little darling are if they don't have homework & tests?

Besides, its the teachers who have to correct the homework not the principals. And here was me thinkng the Croke Park agreement was to get MORE productivity from our public servants...

CarnivalOfAction

It seems like the National schools want to stop giving out homework to our little darlings.
Sean Cottrell, director of the IPPN, said homework was not suited to lower-achieving children and could remind them of what they could not do.

A little bit PC. They only work about 183 days a year.........that appears to be too much for them, and even if they finish work at 15.00, they should not have to correct homework........when they could be sitting on their holes drinking coffee

Should homework be abolished for all primary school children? - National News, Frontpage - Herald.ie
Maybe you should have done yours a little more assiduously?
:rolleyes:

Newffowner

Aggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh I don't belieeeeeve it, what is the world coming to, what to they want the little buggers to spend their spare time doing? pulling up tulips?

redhead101

It might be a bit more accurate to say that some principals would argue that homework is a bad idea. Fact of the matter is that it is the school board of management, (which includes parent reps, teacher reps and patron reps), who would make such a decision, and not just the principal.

Sean Cotterill is a great fella, and is very good at generating positive debate about primary school issues, but not everybody agrees with him all of the time.

stripey cat

I'm loving the fact that Principles is used in the title of this thread instead of Principals.

controller

I'm loving the fact that Principles is used in the title of this thread instead of Principals.
I was out of school the day we were supposed to have a spelling test. Maths was my strong point.........not spelling. Maybe them there principals are dumbing spelling down to my level :oops:

Brehon

Website
www.irishliberalparty.org
I think homework that has a goal for the week to do something creative. Draw a picture, write a poem or memorize a small poem, listen to music and write about it. A learning journal that says what they learned that week for older children would be of more benefit for the 8 to 14 yr olds. After that it is down to the child if they want to do extra work at home that they can get extra credits for. It shouldn't be about rote learning. A parent that is interested in child's development doesn't really need them to be forced to do homework. Come on how many out there left till five minutes before class started and cogged of a friend. It is a pointless exercise in many ways.

controller

I like doing homework with my six year old. It's nice to watch his development. He can probably spell better than me as well........

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
A frankly astonishing view point that puts a question mark over the eligibility of some of our senior educational staff.

Old Mr Grouser

.... Not just a little bit, totally PC. What will now happen in this country is what happened in England ...
I have grandchildren in England now, Sean, at a Catholic school.

Even the 5-year old has homework every night; a little bit of reading, and a simple puzzle.

It all depends on the school.

dónal na geallaí

How nice for Sean,meanwhile here in Ireland I had to help my daughter - aged 10 - with 26 ,count em that's twenty six, maths questions.I had to ring someone to remind me about long division! I did this decades ago and never used it since.I can honestly say i have used the Irish language more often than the maths I learnt in school.

Small kids need to pee and drink water frequently.Their attention span is 20 mins approx.Loading them up with massive homework is a classic displacement activity.Makes you feel good and thats about it.Make homework short ,sharp and interesting.otherwise why bother,its just a cop out cos you can't teach.