Prinks and underage drinking

Observer B

For those of you are parents of teenagers you will probably be familiar with the term "Prinks". Basically it's pre-drinks which are held at someone's house before a party for whatever event. 1 to 2 years ago I wouldn't have known what this was myself. But recently I had a real eye opener as my 18 year old held Prinks at our house. To be honest, I was shocked and I'm still trying to get my head around the mentality and attitude of a lot of the invitees - all known to her. Very little respect was shown by a worryingly high proportion of them towards themselves, others and our home. Not going to get into the details here but I decided that I would be very very reluctant to have such an event at our home again.

I had come to the above conclusion before I saw the below article in the paper at the weekend. Now this really got my thinking. What if someone had hurt themselves? What if it turned out they were drinking and underage? What if their parents didn't know they were underage drinking and doing so at your home? Where would it end?

Never again!

Conor_Myers

My personal view is that I wouldn't host anything in my house for my kids and their friends that another parent could reasonably have an issue with.

Obviously Alcohol is an area of concern for many parents. Also perhaps more for younger teens though the practice of changing into party gear in a friends house - again as a parent of a young teen I know what I consider acceptable dress so I wouldn't be happy with other parents undermining that by allowing them to change in their house.

Just the minefield of trying to raise kids these days to have respect for themselves and for others but the more parents that act like parents in these matters the better!

Barroso

For those of you are parents of teenagers you will probably be familiar with the term "Prinks". Basically it's pre-drinks which are held at someone's house before a party for whatever event. 1 to 2 years ago I wouldn't have known what this was myself. But recently I had a real eye opener as my 18 year old held Prinks at our house. To be honest, I was shocked and I'm still trying to get my head around the mentality and attitude of a lot of the invitees - all known to her. Very little respect was shown by a worryingly high proportion of them towards themselves, others and our home. Not going to get into the details here but I decided that I would be very very reluctant to have such an event at our home again.
Welcome to the adult world!
I had come to the above conclusion before I saw the below article in the paper at the weekend. Now this really got my thinking. What if someone had hurt themselves? What if it turned out they were drinking and underage? What if their parents didn't know they were underage drinking and doing so at your home? Where would it end?
Did you never have an underage drink yourself?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies