Prison conditions - "never" raised as a gender equality issue - why?

Christine Murray

Website
www.poethead.wordpress.com
I didn't attack infants! I pointed out the huge disparity in conditions male and female prisoners face.
Please read the convention on torture report I sent to you and respond to the issue of human rights abuse,
stop shaking your stick at imaginary problems. you referred to nursing mothers and the dochas centre.

hygenic surroundings and adequate toilet facilites are necessary to women wherever they breastfeed, esp in
the first 5-6 weeks and on for the bonding process. Hey you would know fck all about that wouldn't you?

The issue is abuse of rights but yer too yella-bellied to actually write something that deals with that issue.
don't waste my time.

Link here: CPT: Press Release: Council of Europe Anti-Torture Committee publishes report on Ireland

belvoboy

You also did this when you attacked under-resourced gender studies
depts in Irish colleges.
Here's the thread she is referring to folks:
http://www.politics.ie/education-science/104337-gender-studies-courses-centres-unfairly-balanced-ireland.html

I think I'm perfectly entitled to raise the issue of, for example, the all-female Centre for Gender and Women's Studies in TCD and their apparent lack of interest in issues that men might face.

Of course in the 3-D world, some feminists can maybe control discussions more ... maybe a bit like the way discussions on gender are controlled in the gender studies area.

Last edited:

belvoboy

hygenic surroundings and adequate toilet facilites are necessary to women wherever they breastfeed, esp in the first 5-6 weeks and on for the bonding process. Hey you would know fck all about that wouldn't you?
I questioned why should all women get special treatment because some women may need it. Maybe you're not too good on the logic there but that is not to say that the women who need it shouldn't get it. Or maybe you want to make cheap shots. Probably in the 3-D world it would work well - this guy doesn't care about infants, blah, blah.

belvoboy

belvoboy

You believe that men are treated like shyte cos women are put up on pedestals
I believe there appears to be disadvantages/different treatments men face now or faced in the past that aren't being highlighted.

If one wants to have a proper, adult debate on society and also gender issues, one shouldn't have a situation where a few issues are cherry-picked by feminists to show that society favours men or favoured men in the past.

I do this in my free time. Unlike many feminists who are being paid by the State (i.e. taxpayers) in some form or another.

belvoboy

Thats because it is easy to be lazy and easy to find any excuse to play with people's predijuices. It's lazy and can be seen for that. Put a bit more work into investigating the substantive issues...
Playing with prejudices? What prejudices are they? I'm highlighting issues and instead you want to attack me for raising issues. I think that's lazy.

truthisfree

Ha, internet just went down and prevented me posting a dialogue that had me in tears writing it! I should know by now that posting your soul on the internet is not such a good idea, feel like a whore with no disservice meant to ladies of the night.

We have a prison system that is nothing short of a disgrace. To make a comparison between how women prisoners are treated compared to men is nothing short of complete boll*x, see got my composure back!

There needs to be a complete overhaul of the prison system here, and women prisoners do not have all they deserve, they deserve way more than this godamm government gives them and the fact that men receive even less, well just more of the same disgrace.

The Netherlands closed eight of it's prisons recently, wonder why?

belvoboy

To make a comparison between how women prisoners are treated compared to men is nothing short of complete boll*x,
Why? If men and women are supposed to be treated the same, and have committed the same crime, why should they be treated differently in prison (nursing women aside)?

belvoboy

women prisoners do not have all they deserve
The argument doesn't assume anything about how women prisoners should be treated, it's about the "relativities" (the vast disparity in the way you are treated for the same crime depending on your gender).

phrage

The contempt and venom in christine murray's rejection of the legitimacy of even raising this issue is remarkable. It is a clear contravention of a raft of international and national treaties et cetera that men are in overcrowded slop out cells while women enjoy vastly superior conditions. Prison should ONLY be about deprivation of physical liberty and about rehab for either sex. Prisoners should be able to vote, use the internet,phone and enjoy all other liberties. I also believe that prisons could and should be self financing. Is there a single lawyer from all the Irish Rumpoles who have made billions from the incarceration industry who willing to take a pro bono case to the European Court of human rights on this one ?

It is not only evidence of gender discrimination but a comment on the appalling conditions that exist in Irish prisons generally. I am not happy to say this but we live in a very backward country as regards its prison condition's and a whole lot more! :(
I was alwys told that they spend their days watching flatscreen TV's playing xBox games or lounging around in jacuzzis.

You're telling me that the Daily Mail lied to me?

D

Deleted member 34656

Why do we still insist on provision of gender-specific toilet facilities in hotels, shopping centres etc.? Is it because boys have a worse aim than girls...?

southwestkerry

I was alwys told that they spend their days watching flatscreen TV's playing xBox games or lounging around in jacuzzis.

You're telling me that the Daily Mail lied to me?
Whats that Des, da Waly mail telling a porky ... never... :)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies