• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Private Members Business in the Dail next week

Hardball

Just saw the following

GNÓ COMHALTAÍ PRÍOBHÁIDEACHA
PRIVATE MEMBERS’ BUSINESS
“That Dáil Éireann has no confidence in the Fine Gael and Labour coalition Government; who
have failed to fulfill their obligations to make political decisions and choices which benefit the
citizens of this State.” — Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin, Gerry Adams, Mary Lou McDonald, Michael
Colreavy, Seán Crowe, Pearse Doherty, Dessie Ellis, Martin Ferris, Pádraig Mac Lochlainn,
Sandra McLellan, Jonathan O'Brien, Aengus Ó Snodaigh, Brian Stanley, Peadar Tóibín.
[7 December, 2012]

hammer

SF promise to get budget provisions costed next year would be a better use of time.

Ryan Tubbs

What a silly waste of time. This will actually give political cover to any wavering Labour TDs, giving them an excuse to support the overall performance of the Government, regardless of their disputes on the detail of the Budget.

Why in God's name didn't they put down a motion on child benefit or the respite allowance?

Pink Panther

Who dreamt up this strategy? It's politically stupid. Absolutely no prospect of success. It's not as if they didn't have a number of tighter issues to go at that could have seriously embarrassed some deputies. This will just turn into a shouting match and the public will just get turned off.

ger12

Shinners obviously don't wish to see the happy couple break up.

TommyO'Brien

A rather silly motion. All it will achieve is rally government TDs together whereas standing back might have seen a rebellion develop. They should have delayed the motion until after a rebellion developed for maximum impact.

BTW on a technical issue: it is a woefully worded motion grammatically. There have been tons of no confidence motions over the years. I don't member one worded so badly. It isn't rocket science to word it correctly.

emulator

A rather silly motion. All it will achieve is rally government TDs together whereas standing back might have seen a rebellion develop. They should have delayed the motion until after a rebellion developed for maximum impact.

BTW on a technical issue: it is a woefully worded motion grammatically. There have been tons of no confidence motions over the years. I don't member one worded so badly. It isn't rocket science to word it correctly.
Are you saying there is currently a rebellion developing between the coalition parties ?

grumpydunphy

petunia petunia petunia

Heligoland

I thought the Shinners didn't refer to Leinster House as Dáil Éireann- they say "the Dáil" (of this state), or the 26 county government, or, er, Leinster House.

"Dáil Éireann" implies the government of the country, a style I thought they didn't use, since it's not.

They don't even use the gold lettered stationery TDs get because it has Dáil Éireann written on it.

So who wrote this?

Frank Galton

Especially strange to have it as the budget is intrinsically a confidence issue. A government that can pass a Finance Bill by definition has confidence of the Dail.

carlovian

I thought the Shinners didn't refer to Leinster House as Dáil Éireann- they say "the Dáil" (of this state), or the 26 county government, or, er, Leinster House.

"Dáil Éireann" implies the government of the country, a style I thought they didn't use, since it's not.

They don't even use the gold lettered stationery TDs get because it has Dáil Éireann written on it.

So who wrote this?
Well it came from the martinmcguiness4president twitter account so it's good enough for me.

TODevastated

a total non issue, a waste of time money and energy which will take the focus off a woeful budget and will be beaten

so why bother

CookieMonster

Are you saying there is currently a rebellion developing between the coalition parties ?
No. He's saying there could have been and the coalition could have fallen apart like wet tissue if only the shinners hadn't ruined it with their poorly worded motion.

Clearly we are in the state we're in because if them. We could have been rescued if they'd only kept quiet.

Pesky kids.

(in other words, Tommy is talking sh1te)

GDPR

Tommy, making a complete tit of yourself in only four lines.
My congratulations.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Is there any point having opposition TDs in this country? Why not just sack them all.

They ADD nothing. Motions like this "the government are badmen" are pointless.

TommyO'Brien

I am saying that won't be clear until votes on budget and social welfare proposals are voted next week. If you move a confidence motion too early it leads to a circling of the wagons. You then cannot then propose a motion of confidence for a number of months, so if the government does begin to hit the rocks you cannot THEN put down a motion of no confidence at the time where it could causes the government some damage.

It isn't the first time SF jumped in too quickly. They have a history of doing it, and then finding that they couldn't propose a motion when a real opportunity arose. Both FF and SF have been doing that. They proposed a no confidence motion in Reilly too early and then found they couldn't put forward one when more serious problems engulfed him.

Popular Threads

Most Replies