• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Private primary schools in Dublin

gaules

I am struggling to find Private (or international) primary schools in Dublin.

So far I found one in Sutton and another one in Booterstown - do these schools have their own bus to pick up kids? from where I came from the top ones have it, otherwise how are kids suppose to get to school? do we have to drop them off?? and if, like ourselves, live in castleknock (far away from both Sutton and Booterstown)?

Can anyone help us, listing them, and if possible rating them? being a foreigner is quite difficult to find references that will help us to find the best private or international school for our kid.

Thanks for any help / tip!

St Disibod

I would be very suprised if you found a primary school with a bus service. I have never heard of one in Dublin. The general custom in Ireland is to send them to the nearest National School and so demand for bus services is low. These schools are generally set up and run by the local parish- providing Catholic or Protestant education according to the parish, and so are generally close by. It's the accepted culture.

A few schools are beginning to break from this mould, but they are rare.

gaules

Thanks for the answers! - do you have a list of primary private (or/and international) schools?

agora

Website
www.doonesbury.com
Just as a matter of interest, why are you so intent on getting your kids into a private school? There are many fantastic national schools around Dublin. Although Church run ones are the norm, most of those have adapted to the inflow of non-nationals and children from different cultures and are not anything like the centres of indoctrination they were years ago. Or are you opposed to them because they are funded by the state?

gaules

My kid is in the junior infant class in St. Brigids (Castleknock) school - he joned the school with 4 years old.

Being quite young, and not speaking english at home (we are foreigners), I feel that the kid is not taking the max at school - being the 1st year this worries me a lot - as all parents we want the best for our kids..

At the top of this the class has are 31 pupils - this is ridiculous and far too many! - both of us work, therefore we need more support from the school.

This is where the private school idea come up - I found though very difficult to understand what are the top private schools in Dublin, therefore I am here to seek your help not only to get those names, but also some reference or explanation of "who is who" in the private school business in Ireland..

NGTR

Website
www.freewebs.com
Theres quite a lot of private Secondary schools with Junior schools

Including:

Boys
St Mary's College, Rathmines. Willow Park, Blackrock. St Michael's, Ballsbridge. Terenure College

Girls
Alexandra College, Milltown. Mount Anville, Goatstown

Mixed
St Andrew's College, Booterstown

Rathgar Junior School, Aravon, Castle Park are all Private Primary schools

I'm sure theres more and indeed many Secondary schools have a Prepatory class (6th class) but thats all I can think of off the top of my head

gaules

Thanks for the link - how do you recognize private from public schools on it?

tumeltyni

Excellent question! I knew they included lists of fee-paying post-primary schools, and assumed they'd have the same for the primary schools. Evidently not.

Rapairi

I think you might have to start your own Gaules!

I suppose it's not something we're had much demand for in the past with a low ex-pat community.

sobro

hi gaules,
i came across this thread and hope u don't mind contacting u. i am in a similar situation to your situation in jan 2006 and i would be very grateful for any info u have on private schools in dublin.
thanks!
sean.

imokyrok

hi gaules,
i came across this thread and hope u don't mind contacting u. i am in a similar situation to your situation in jan 2006 and i would be very grateful for any info u have on private schools in dublin.
thanks!
sean.
I don't think that poster is still active here sobro. Check out the education forum on boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin' . You've a better chance there of accessing that kind of information.

Brehon

Website
www.irishliberalparty.org
There's CUS on Leeson Street, if you're working in town.
There's a French school in Milltown but that's quite far.
There's King's Inn at Liffey valley, not sure if that's private though.
You're on a hard mission. Might be best to go with local school and provide extra private tution if you think it is necessary, also means less travel for child in morning, big issue, also gets to know local children to mix in for parties, get friends.

muffin

I am struggling to find Private (or international) primary schools in Dublin.

So far I found one in Sutton and another one in Booterstown - do these schools have their own bus to pick up kids? from where I came from the top ones have it, otherwise how are kids suppose to get to school? do we have to drop them off?? and if, like ourselves, live in castleknock (far away from both Sutton and Booterstown)?

Can anyone help us, listing them, and if possible rating them? being a foreigner is quite difficult to find references that will help us to find the best private or international school for our kid.

Thanks for any help / tip!
The truth is that is rare. It is better to send your kid to a public school because they have the best education at primary level preparing the child before he/she embarks to secondary level which can be either public or private secondary schools. When I say public I mean national schools. They fare better when they reach secondary.

D

Dylan2010

St Killians in Clonskeagh is an international school, has a good reputation