• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Private secondary school Kilkenny College to move to the public system with five others to follow

RobertW

Kilkenny College, a private fee paying Protestant secondary school, is to move from the fee paying sector to the public sector.

Their principal, Ian Coombes, was interviewed on RTE news and explained that his school have been considering this approach since 2010. He also interestingly mentioned that only one in four Protestants in the locality of the school were choosing to go there.

The Department of Education have also stated that they are in preliminary discussions with five other private fee paying schools with the intention of moving to the public system.

Note: At present the pupil:teacher ratio for fee paying schools is 23:1 as opposed to 19:1 for non-fee paying schools.

Presumably these are decisions based on securing a future for their schools.

Clanrickard

Kilkenny College, a private fee paying Protestant secondary school, is to move from the fee paying sector to the public sector.

Their principal, Ian Coombes, was interviewed on RTE news and explained that his school have been considering this approach since 2010. He also interestingly mentioned that only one in four Protestants in the locality of the school were choosing to go there.

The Department of Education have also stated that they are in preliminary discussions with five other private fee paying schools with the intention of moving to the public system.

Note: At present the pupil:teacher ratio for fee paying schools is 23:1 as opposed to 19:1 for non-fee paying schools.

The sooner they cut your pay to shut you up the better.

ruserious

Surely publicising private schools will cost the state more money? I.e. loss of fees must be taken on by the state to pay groundstaff, admin etc.

kalipa

No he said couldn't afford to go there , not choosing.

It's is a very good school and I'm glad my kids had their education there

sondagefaux

Surely publicising private schools will cost the state more money? I.e. loss of fees must be taken on by the state to pay groundstaff, admin etc.
It may do, but at least one of the admissions criteria, the ability to pay private school fees, will be removed.

Much fairer considering that almost every 'private' school in Ireland which charges fees has its teaching staff costs met by taxpayers, most of whom couldn't afford to send their kids to these schools.

RobertW

No he said couldn't afford to go there , not choosing.

It's is a very good school and I'm glad my kids had their education there
I don't think he did . . . Can always watch at 9 though.

anewbeginning

This is certainly not good news for the taxpayer.

Private schools have their teacher salaries paid for by the taxpayer but get no capitation grants to cover everything else. Public schools do get the capitation grants, which can run into the hundreds of thousands per school.

This move will be paid for by the taxpayer no doubt.

slippy wicket

My brother is in 6th year there at the moment. I guess a lot of their problem is demographic changes.
A lot of the people I know who went there either live in Dublin or other cities. Way outside the catchment area.

I assume what they really mean is that there still will be the boarding component but the rest is public.
For openness and clarity it's costing 6000 for this year.

kalipa

I don't think he did . . . Can always watch at 9 though.
I remember a thread on here, I think it was, where some people were delighted that funding was being cut to private schools like Kilkenny. This is the outcome of that.

From the RTE website.

The Church of Ireland second level school caters for 780 students, both boarders and day pupils.

In a statement posted on its website, the college said although fees had been maintained at 2008 levels, it was becoming increasingly difficult for families to send their children to the only Church of Ireland secondary school in Kilkenny and the southeast.
It said changes in 2008 to how Protestant fee-charging schools were funded had led to a withdrawal of support and building grants and an ever-reducing allocation of teachers.
The decision to stop charging fees was taken following what the school called lengthy talks with the Department of Education.
The school will continue to charge students who board.
Kilkenny College to enter public education system - RTÉ News

tipp revolution

To my mind all secondary schools should be deliberately kept small ie under 500 pupils so that everybody knows the kids' names and vulnerable kids don't slip through the net. As a lot of our generation (80's and 90's school leavers) spent so much time working/at other stuff we seem to have messed up rearing the kids. You cant expect a principal of a 1200 community school to eg stop cyber bullying

Clanrickard

Very kind indeed, lovely attitude, hope you have a lovely evening.
He is a crushing bore who spams every thread with his undisguised hatred towards anyone who wants to modernize or education system.. His glee at the misfortunate school in Kilkenny is palpable. If the state secondary school system was fit for purpose there would be no private schools.

True Republican

Ribeye

I'm sure this is all about money, the smaller fee paying schools are all insolvent,

Con Gallagher

Yet another education thread where posters fail to realise that most schools in this State are privately owned and run (but that a minority of private schools are not exclusively funded by the State).

Hitch 22

Gentle little Tarquin Shrewbury Mansfield , the chess champion and maths genius, is going to get a terrible time now from Micko Dooley who smoke twenty John Player blue, drinks Dutch Gold and plays soccer.