Private sector “Choice”-Your Worst Private sector Experience

Socratus O' Pericles

A significant constant argument put up by those who argue for privatization and severe limitation of public services is that the private sector does away with monopolies provides choice and market efficiency. In my humble opinion this is bull5hit.

The price of petrol –a private sector commodity rarely varies.

I recently needed to get a new clutch in my car I phoned ten (10) garages and they all quoted me the same price to within €20 on a 500 bill.

I phoned Airtricity the other day it took 15 mins. to get through and then the guy hung up on me. All I can say here and now is my Airtricity Bill looks suspiciously like my old ESB one but I intend to research this to see if the so called savings have been passed on. I might go back to the semi state for the quality of the service anyway. Hobson’s choice –here.

My worst experience though was with a crowd called Komplett. They provided me with a defective computer. They admitted this and took it back at their depot in Blanchardstown –all at my expense. They then sent the repaired pc back to me with the OS changed to Dutch, They then provided me with a bootleg OS to remedy the problem and my “new “pc constantly screams at me that I may be guilty of counterfeiting software ( especial thank you to Microsoft). Komplett cannot be contacted at all –they neither answer the phone nor email .They do all their business through Boards or else you can go to their depot.

Private Sector better than public –I don’t think so.

He3

Have you noticed the IMF is in town?

They are here because of an unbeatable combination of private sector greed and public sector complicity.

Less of the stone throwing from glasshouse to glasshouse and more concentration on the basics all round.

grainne whale

Bin Collection Thorntons - I have the smaller bin, they alway bill me for the larger bin, even though I'm within the weight allowance.

controller

The HSE wanted me to bring my son in to their admin offices to prove that he had Down Syndrome before he was issued a medical card. I refused... we had a fight...he got his card without the humiliation. Oh no...they are public sector.......stop trowing stones....

Mushroom

Ryanair (had to take them to Small Claims Court to get satisfaction)

Cornmarket Insurance (had to complain to Financial Regulator to get satisfaction)

National Irish Bank (they lodged €3000 to my account when I had lodged €30 - when I spotted this a month later and made them aware of this, they didn't even thank me.)

Sky TV - [the fight is ongoing]

[On the Public Service side, the Department of Education is utterly cr@p.]

Gryire

A significant constant argument put up by those who argue for privatization and severe limitation of public services is that the private sector does away with monopolies provides choice and market efficiency. In my humble opinion this is bull5hit.

I recently needed to get a new clutch in my car I phoned ten (10) garages and they all quoted me the same price to within €20 on a 500 bill.

I phoned Airtricity the other day it took 15 mins. to get through and then the guy hung up on me. All I can say here and now is my Airtricity Bill looks suspiciously like my old ESB one but I intend to research this to see if the so called savings have been passed on. I might go back to the semi state for the quality of the service anyway. Hobson’s choice –here.

My worst experience though was with a crowd called Komplett. They provided me with a defective computer. They admitted this and took it back at their depot in Blanchardstown –all at my expense. They then sent the repaired pc back to me with the OS changed to Dutch, They then provided me with a bootleg OS to remedy the problem and my “new “pc constantly screams at me that I may be guilty of counterfeiting software ( especial thank you to Microsoft). Komplett cannot be contacted at all –they neither answer the phone nor email .They do all their business through Boards or else you can go to their depot.

FAS
HSE
OPW
Co Councils
Government Ministers

Could you get any worse !

loaf

The national newspaper market (especially in Ireland) perfectly exemplifies how 'private sector' and 'choice' do not always have a happy relationship.

Cael

I find it horrible that the state requires me to have motor insurance, but does not provide such insurance, thus leaving me with no choice but to provide the likes of Sean Quinn with profit. This is not choice.

Socratus O' Pericles

stop trowing stones....
Tell that to Pat Slatt,The Field Marshal,Keith - anewbeginnin FFSg (who wants to bring us back to the industrial revolution) and all the other would be neo classical economists who provide no analysis and spew bile on one sector and never on another.

Choice does not exsist so classical economics fails the first test.

Socratus O' Pericles

FAS
HSE
OPW
Co Councils
Government Ministers

Could you get any worse !
Anglo Irish Bank
Bank Of Ireland
AIB
Shell oil
the above named computer crowd.

Mushroom

You did what? :eek:

I was afraid that the money might have been planted in my account by one of Bertie's Dig-out pals. They regularly carry out that kind of anonymous philanthropic gesture, you know! :p

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo

Pretty lame thread. Can't defend public services so attack private ones? Care to compare like with like, say.... in health? Up to four months for an x-ray diagnosis in some areas of Ireland through the HSE. 24 to 48 hours in any private facility, and at a fraction of the cost.

You use pertol prices to point out a lack of competition in the private sector. What price do you think you would be paying for petrol at a State run pump? Remember all staff would be tenured so in no hurry to serve you, have gold plated pensions and top rates of pay. And if they strike, all pumps would close. At any time of the day you would be lucky to get petrol at all and it you did it would be at least double what the private petrol compaies provide it for.

For every Euro collected in income tax, 60c goes on Public sector pay and pensions. How much of my tax goes to providing supermarkets, petrol stations or pubs?

Johnnybaii

So let me make sure I have this right - as the Irish are rubbish at complaining about poor quality services/products and will put up with any kind of crap hence continuing and exacerbating the poor quality service/products we have access to in this country that justifies our (for the most part) bloated, inefficient, overstaffed, overpaid public sector which…. and please pay attention here….

WE CANT AFFORD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That’s your argument?

Please just ************************ off.

dgeraghty

Ryanair- I can now afford to fly cheaply around Europe, whereas when Aer Lingus were run by the govt, flights were a preserve of the rich.

I can now get in a cheap, comfortable, and timely bus from Kildare to the Airport, where using Bus Eireann costs me twice as much to get only to Dublin City Centre (in a significantly less comfortable or spacious bus, and almost never on time), and then I fork out another €5-7 for another bus to the airport.

Wide sweeping generalisations about public vs private? I don't think so.

Socratus O' Pericles

For every Euro collected in income tax, 60c goes on Public sector pay and pensions. How much of my tax goes to providing supermarkets, petrol stations or pubs?
How much of your money goes on these things. My argument is there is no real choice "driving down" the price in many areas none at all. Petrol ,mobile phone charges ,utilities to name but a few.

A public MRA scan is free a private one costs only the well to do can afford the latter.

collina

Two times out of five when I take a day off for plumber, sparks, TV man, etc, they don't arrive nor have the courtesy to call ya to give fair warning. Customer services at banks, cable/sat provider, broad band provider couldn't care less and often are less than honest.

The solicitor that convevenced my house was appalling and only my wife caught a huge number of errors (including the address of the house) in the documentation. She might as well have done it herself, but he charged us IRL 1,600 anyway. Then there was the years of the Banks robbing their customer accounts and applying fraudulent currency conversion charges.

Consistently being robbed by restaurants and retailers for often poor goods and a sulky service is another one. At the moment you can get twenty Buds for €15 in Dunnes. Twenty Buds in any night club would cost ya the guts of €100. Whose codding whom?

Having said all that, I think the vast majority of staff in the private sector are conscientious and hard working. Pity they won't accept the same of the Public Service.

Terminal

We ripped people of in the good times ... now it's time to pay the piper ... as i said in another thread public and private need to work together. Enough of this bickering ... that's what they want. I just informed two staff that i'll have to let them go .... Private and Public are co-dependent .... was depending on PS workers spending over Christmas but i doubt that'll happen now given that most of them are frightened and many will go north ... and i don't blame them.

we don't need a new civil war of words ... min wage in the private sector will have to be slashed and the cost of living will have to come down if our small indigenous companies/businesses are to survive in 2011. Reading some of the posts here i wonder where some of you get the time .... why not channel all our justified anger into doing something productive. Armchair economists and cyber-rhetoric will not get us out of this mess ... time for practical action in ever local community throughout the country.

Just listening to news.... Miz Harney is now engaging in the Private Public semantics rebench marking ... she might be right but what she forgets is that cost of living here was exorbitant at the time.

chimina

Great timing, found this thread after returning from the o2 shop.

Bought an expensive high end phone which was defective. I returned it to the shop and they sent it away for "repair" was called 2 days later to tell me i had to stump up 150 to fix the fone. They claim the phone is out of warranty because the case is cracked. When i refused they sent the phone back to the shop and instructed me to collect it.

I have just returned from the shop where they have refused to repair or replace the fone or release me from the contract. I have the initial report from when i dropped the fone in, there was no damage to the fone at this point (and i have this in writing) the shop assitant basically admitted the phone may have been damaged in transit but they still refuse to budge.
They then tried to get me to contact the phone repair shop, the phone manufacturer & the courier company myself, when i pointed out that they had contracts with these companys not me they shrugged their shoulders & told me there was nothing more they could do. Then they tried to make me sign for the defective phone... my blood is boiling.

legal recourse now appears to be my only option.

incredible:evil::cry::evil:

Socratus O' Pericles

The private sector is littered with this kind of thing -very often you get good polite prompt service in the public service so why is all the vitriol for the PS and not the private? It is supposed to be because there is no choice, its taxpayers money etc etc.

However, if there are cartels around the basic products and services in life- I include cars, fuel, phones and a few luxuries -- as well as food and utilities then the so called choice and the so called market regulation of prices does not work. O2 Vodafone 3 & Meteor offer amazingly (??) similar packages and s4ite service. Why is that?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies