Pro Life ads all over Irish social media

Scitlipo

Just noticed on YouTube and Facebook that most of the ads are from the various groups who wish to maintain the 8th amendment. I guess I'm targeted because I live in Ireland and have opted out of targeted advertising.
They must have some funds to blanket social media like this. The ads range from a graphic description by a doctor of abortion, to the lighter anti- abortion stuff.
Anyone else have similar experiences?

GDPR

Just noticed on YouTube and Facebook that most of the ads are from the various groups who wish to maintain the 8th amendment. I guess I'm targeted because I live in Ireland and have opted out of targeted advertising.
They must have some funds to blanket social media like this. The ads range from a graphic description by a doctor of abortion, to the lighter anti- abortion stuff.
They probably are targeting you, but you dont know how exactly.

https://goosed.ie/cambridge-analytica-repeal-the-eighth/

Finbar10

I don't use facebook much at all, but the "Transparency Referendum Initiative" was attempting to build a database of facebook ads for the campaign. Their latest database is here, which contains a list of ads encountered so far (quite a variety on both sides).

Deadlock

Same here - twice today when I accessed the sites of the Telegraph in the U.K., footage of someone called Sister Concilio popped up, seemingly trying to make some link between women who have abortions and abuse drugs consequently. Frankly, I wasn't too interested in her or her opinions, but it was odd.

Wascurito

There are literally dozens of groups out there under the anti-choice umbrella. It doesn't seem to matter if you try to block an ad because you keep seeing it. The same ad pops up under a different group.

GDPR

I know my Facebook data wasn't harvested.
Could be something you clicked on their algorithms told them was associated with people most likely to vote No. That doesnt mean their science is right.

I use Firefox with all the privacy add-ons, every single one, and dont have this problem at all.

Wascurito

I was discussing this very issue with a friend on Facebook today. He said we should all click on the ads because it costs the anti-choicers 15c every time.

gleeful

Heres a trick. Change your date of birth on facebook to 1905. Puts you outside targeted demographic.

Or use ad bl0ck

gleeful

I was discussing this very issue with a friend on Facebook today. He said we should all click on the ads because it costs the anti-choicers 15c every time.
Clicking on the ads boosts them in the facebook algorithm and lowers the cost per click.

ger12

Gin Soaked

Which one is offensive?
Have not seen any "offensive " NO ads on line, but I often mark other ones as offensive. Scientology is a particular case.

Was just wondering what impact it has on ad algorithms

ger12

Gin Soaked

So they're not offensive? Do you want to censor them?
I have not reported any NO ads , and I am staunchly pro choice. I dislike the NO posters and what they lead me to explain to my two junior school boys, but I respect that they have a right to be on the lamppost.

But Scientology? That is utter evil and can FRO.

Nedz Newt

Same here - twice today when I accessed the sites of the Telegraph in the U.K., footage of someone called Sister Concilio popped up, seemingly trying to make some link between women who have abortions and abuse drugs consequently. Frankly, I wasn't too interested in her or her opinions, but it was odd.
Saw that too, while i was reading an article in The Hill.
Seems if you click on a right-wing news outlet, Sr Consilio is in there like a badger on first day of mating season.

Spirit Of Newgrange

Go onto social networks for sports ( or any other pastime ) in the UK, accessed from ireland, and get bombarded by 'save the eight' shyte.

tedious in the extreme.

Expose the lot of them

Have only seen one or two anti choice ads on FB, I immediately blocked them, perhaps that is the reason that I have not received any more. I see a lot of Yes information, which is not surprising as I follow some of the Yes groups.

New Threads

Most Replies