• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Pro-Life Campaigners telephone spamming?

Samell

Phone polling on abortion.

Has anyone else received an automated cold call, playing a recording of someone claiming to be a doctor from Galway, I didn't catch the name as it was a bad line for the first few seconds of the call. He was saying how that Ireland was safe for pregnant women and that the recent tragedy was just that a tragedy, and how termination rules were in place and would not have changed the outcome. Then the poll part.

press 1 for no change.*
press 2 for some change.*
press 3 for introduction of the UK abortion laws.*
(*Unsure of the exact wording but you get the idea)

Amazingly when I pressed 3 I was asked 4 times to repeat my selection, (By an American accented man) before it was accepted. I wonder if I had changed my mind would it have been any quicker.

Any ideas who is behind these calls and who is paying for them?

<Mod> This thread has been merged with "Pro-Life Campaigners telephone spamming?" </Mod>

Last edited by a moderator:

TommyO'Brien

Sounds fishy.

Tawdy

Has anyone else received an automated cold call, playing a recording of someone claiming to be a doctor from Galway, I didn't catch the name as it was a bad line for the first few seconds of the call. He was saying how that Ireland was safe for pregnant women and that the recent tragedy was just that a tragedy, and how termination rules were in place and would not have changed the outcome. Then the poll part.

press 1 for no change.*

Amazingly when I pressed 3 I was asked 4 times to repeat my selection, (By an American accented man) before it was accepted. I wonder if I had changed my mind would it have been any quicker.

fg/lab

Giz3us

press 1 for no change.*

What was the phone number?

D

Deleted member 17573

press 1 for no change.*

I suspect that you might be paying for it!

Bill

press 1 for no change.*

It wasn't claiming to be a doctor from Galway, the message read out a statement by O'Dwyer about there being no need for abortion , Ireland is the safest place to have a baby blah blah blah,I just hung up as there was no statement as to who they were and why they were cold calling me a ten past five

ManOfReason

Some Sunday Paper (the Sindo?) will gladly publish the results of this 'poll' as if it reflected the wishes of Ireland.

shoneen

I got it about an hour ago. An interesting development ... although I hung up after about 10 seconds. Missus Wallace and the Abortionistas got a head start by a week, so the other side are probably desperate to make up lost ground. You got to think that this would just p!ss people off though. It certainly annoyed my other-half who is militantly anti-abortion.

GDPR

press 1 for no change.*

You are probably paying for them. Better check your phone bill.

The OD

press 1 for no change.*

Why not also post a thread about how you were abducted by rock-n-roll loving aliens, because lets face it, it has as much credibility as your 'experience' above which I do not believe.

In essence, I am saying you made the above up.

Estragon

It's definitely

(a) An filthy underhand trick by anti-abortionists to puff up their cause or,
(b) An filthy underhand trick by pro-abortionists to puff up their cause.

DeTroika

I got the call, the number was english, but according to other commentators on Journal.ie theirs were from Dublin and even China so obviously some sort of scam.

Its when this sort of nonsense starts to happen that you have to wonder are we really really mature enough to have a debate on this issue?

Cellach

Incidentally...

McGarr Solicitors – Dublin Solicitors Ireland | How (and why) to complain about an unwanted political Automatic Phone Call
As the calls reported on today seem not to fall within the political communication exception- not coming from any recognised political party, candidate or candidate for election- each call complained of could potentially attract an individual criminal conviction and fine. Only calls which prompt a complaint can attract any conviction.

Dohville

Surely this is illegal?

Today at home the phone rang. When answered a recorded message was heard, like the ones from Eircom etc reminding one to pay their bill.

The recording begun to describe how wonderful Irelands record at Infant Mortality and Post Natal Mortality rates, and how it is something we should all be proud of.

Then it asked me if I wanted to know more about how to support the pro-life campaign.

How is this intrusion into my home permitted? Bad enough having foreign types ringing to say my computer has a virus, but this takes the biscuit. Sorry for the new thread, but I couldn't see the best place to post it.

Cellach

McGarr Solicitors – Dublin Solicitors Ireland | How (and why) to complain about an unwanted political Automatic Phone Call

As the calls reported on today seem not to fall within the political communication exception- not coming from any recognised political party, candidate or candidate for election- each call complained of could potentially attract an individual criminal conviction and fine. Only calls which prompt a complaint can attract any conviction.
Just so you know...

stunt_penguin

Yup indeed, I got a recording of the message, sorry can't post full links as my count is under 50 however I added it to youtube, here's the end of the URL, just paste it after the .com address:

/watch?v=Z21o8v5_Xy0