Pro-Life supporters ‘silenced on Twitter’

gooner

The media are now reporting on what some of us have said on here in the past.

Twitter has been accused of silencing Irish anti-abortion accounts using a ghosting facility that supporters of Donald Trump have previously complained about.

A small number of users in Ireland have been “shadow banned” by the site’s moderators after pro-choice tweeters complained about their posts.

This means that their tweets do not appear during searches for Twitter message hashtags relating to the discussion around the referendum to repeal the Eighth Amendment.

The users can still send messages but their audience is restricted to those who follow them. Many were not notified of the restriction and learned of it by using a third-party website.

Twitter has previously been accused of using shadow bans in order to suppress conservative or right-wing political opinions in America. The Times discovered at least eight anti-abortion Twitter users whose accounts had been restricted this week. There did not appear to be any evidence of pro-choice users facing similar restrictions.
Some bans have since been lifted.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/anti-repeal-supporters-silenced-on-twitter-k8t0fz76f?t=ie

It's true that some bans were lifted but I now know that those same accounts are shadow banned once again. The article clearly says most of these accounts were not "engaging in harassing or derogatory behaviour". The bans are also put in place by individual moderators.

Is this Twitter intentionally trying to influence the referendum with the suppression of viewpoints from one side?

Tribal

Did those posters put up images that contravened twitters rules?

ger12

It's as I suspected. Censorship is very dangerous anywhere in the World. It's hard to stomach tbh. Lots more than 8 from I can see and only targeting pro life views.

Seems this isn't an automated decision by Twitter.

gooner

Did those posters put up images that contravened twitters rules?
No. If that was the case all the images would be marked sensitive content on their page and tweets. You would have to press view to see them. Yet some of the pro-life accounts that have their accounts like this are not shadow banned.

These accounts that I know of, are not abusive and are very measured in what they tweet. They keep on message and engage in meaningful discussion.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Yep. Only reason Twitter was set up in the first place, really. Just so that they could cleverly affect a referendum in Ireland.

Wagmore

The media are now reporting on what some of us have said on here in the past.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/anti-repeal-supporters-silenced-on-twitter-k8t0fz76f?t=ie

It's true that some bans were lifted but I now know that those same accounts are shadow banned once again. The article clearly says most of these accounts were not "engaging in harassing or derogatory behaviour". The bans are also put in place by individual moderators.

Is this Twitter intentionally trying to influence the referendum with the suppression of viewpoints from one side?
Job opportunity fot Stringjack?He/She'd love that gig.

gooner

Yep. Only reason Twitter was set up in the first place, really. Just so that they could cleverly affect a referendum in Ireland.
No, they weren't set up for that but yet this is what it is now. The hysterical dismissive nature in the previous thread can be no more after this.

There are more than enough legit questions to be asked of them.

gooner

It's as I suspected. Censorship is very dangerous anywhere in the World. It's hard to stomach tbh. Lots more than 8 from I can see and only targeting pro life views.

No, it's not. Individual moderators enforce this.

Wascurito

The anti-choice brigade has a persecution complex therefore vote "no".....or something.

livingstone

Speaking of twitter, I see the Save the 8th campaign are naming donors to the Together for Yes campaign on twitter that they deem insufficiently Irish and claiming (incorrectly) that their donations are illegal.

gerhard dengler

livingstone

John McGuirk saying something doesn't make it any more compelling than one of your threads.

cozzy121

Ger12 deserves credit for identifying the issue of social media shadow banning on the main page of this site several days ago.
http://www.politics.ie/forum/zoo/263125-twitter-shadow-banning-pro-life-supporters-irish-referendum.html

The "moderators" on this site attempted to censor the thread by removing the thread from the main page of this site to prevent discussion of the topic of social media shadow banning.
Can I say, that is quiet a fetching tinfoil hat that you are sporting..

ger12

ger12

The anti-choice brigade has a persecution complex therefore vote "no".....or something.
No, this is a serious issue for any democracy if outside influence is again attempting to influence our democratic process.

What's so dangerous in allowing moderate and respectful freedom of speech and thought?

ger12

John McGuirk saying something doesn't make it any more compelling than one of your threads.
The Times contacted McGuirk to comment on their story about Twitter seeming to censor discussion.

gooner

It's not based solely on John McGuirk. He's giving an added opinion to it.

The thread was right at the time and the way a small number of posters described the shadow ban back then and what was happening, have now proven to be correct.

livingstone

The Times contacted McGuirk to comment on their story about Twitter seeming to censor discussion.
"accused", "small number", "may".

Incidentally, the claim that there is no evidence of shadowbanning of pro-repeal tweeters seems odd: what evidence would they expect to find unless they searched through all pro-repeal tweeters.

A far way from claim that Twitter are setting out to shift the outcome of the referendum.

gerhard dengler

It's not based solely on John McGuirk. He's giving an added opinion to it.

The thread was right at the time and the way a small number of posters described the shadow ban back then and what was happening, have now proven to be correct.
Politics.ie "moderators" should reinstate Ger12's thread on to the main section of this site.

Most Replies