Problems for Gerry Adams' resignation as an MP

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Unlike in Ireland, it's not straight forward to resign as a member of parliament in the UK.

In Ireland a letter is sent to the Ceann Comhairle and the individual is deemed resigned.

In the UK, resignations take place, but they're a technical loophole. MPs who wish to resign apply for the position of Steward of the Chiltern Hundreds of Buckinghamshire or the Manor of Northstead. These positions are recognized as paid for by the Crown, and as MPs cannot be under a position paid for by the Crown, they are automatically deemed to no longer be an MP.

Michael Crick's blogpost earlier muses on the subject, asking:

How could a staunch Irish republican like Adams, who has steadfastly refused even to take his seat at Westminster, possibly apply for a job under the British Crown?
Gerry Adams has said he will resign as an MP once the Irish General Election is called, in order to do that, he'll need to apply to the Queen to be appointed as one of her Stewards.

TradCat

He should just write to the speaker informing him of his resignation. What the British make of it is not his problem.

Cato

Unlike in Ireland, it's not straight forward to resign as a member of parliament in the UK.

In Ireland a letter is sent to the Ceann Comhairle and the individual is deemed resigned.

In the UK, resignations take place, but they're a technical loophole. MPs who wish to resign apply for the position of Steward of the Chiltern Hundreds of Buckinghamshire or the Manor of Northstead. These positions are recognized as paid for by the Crown, and as MPs cannot be under a position paid for by the Crown, they are automatically deemed to no longer be an MP.

Gerry Adams has said he will resign as an MP once the Irish General Election, in order to do that, he'll need to apply to the Queen to be appointed as one of her Stewards.
:lol: Nice one! Well spotted.

spotty

Spotty hopes he has to visit the palace. To be personally appointed. And kiss hands.

Watcher2

So, simply writting as letter to whoever - Queen, speaker of the house etc is not enough? I find this hard to believe, not shocking though I suppose given everything we have learned in the past couple years about the world of politics.

turdsl

I would be of the opinion that the technicalities will be of little interest to Gerry.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
...OR MAYBE...

He'll stir things up in Westminster by simpy tendering a letter of resignation. People in wigs will be saying "but but...".

Aindriu

I thought he was just resigning as an MLA not as an MP? Different rules apply for the Stormont Assembly IIRC.

Asparagus

Gerry Adams has said he will resign as an MP once the Irish General Election, in order to do that, he'll need to apply to the Queen to be appointed as one of her Stewards.
I for one think that Gerry will make an excellent Steward of the Chiltern Hundreds of Buckinghamshire.

The incumbant, Iris Robinson, has been a spectacular failure failing to win a single match.

corelli

I would imagine he will just resign and tell them to stick the Royal prerogative/grant up their collective backsides.

Mushroom

If the Commons deem that Adams hasn't properly resigned his seat, could it decide that he remains the MP for West Belfast and thereby refuse to hold a by-election?

Darren H

If the Commons deem that Adams hasn't properly resigned his seat, could it decide that he remains the MP for West Belfast and thereby refuse to hold a by-election?
And the impact of that would be terrible for his constituents. Who would continue to not represent them?

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
I for one think that Gerry will make an excellent Steward of the Chiltern Hundreds of Buckinghamshire.

The incumbant, Iris Robinson, has been a spectacular failure failing to win a single match.
No Adams has to apply for the Manor of Northstead position as the positions are rotated and Micheal Martin resigned in June 2009.

Last edited:

Most Replies