• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Problems of success for Labour

factual

They need to really get active on the ground in some rural constituencies.

drkpower

they need to consolidate that support first - the polls are in a state of flux now and, in the next poll, FG or even SF could be the recipient of the very large floating votes that are out there at the moment.

ManOfReason

Candidates under the age of 50 would be a good start. They seem to be by far the oldest looking party of the lot and did poorly in the youth demographic compared to FG.

setanta

AggSec, a quick review of the internal on-line forum for the Labour Party demonstrates that the party's activists are very aware of this problem. There is quite a lively discussion going on for example on Gannon's suggested defection to Labour in Galway East.

However, I would caution aginst the "received wisdom" that Labour lacks a constituency infrastructure. This is not much more than teh produce of lazy journalism.

I've written on other threads that Labour's on-the-ground organisation in Dublin, in particular, is easilly the measure of both ZANU FF and Fine Vague. Similarly, the party's operations in other urban centres and travel-to-work areas has benefitted significantly from the attenton paid to it since the 2004 election.

The one area where Labour is weak is in those areas without a record of returning Labour public represenatives, principally in rural Ireland. Our focus cannot be the entire country when it comes to our own organisation. We have to deploy our resources where they will deliver the best electoral reurn and I'm afraid that means urban and commuter Ireland. If, and it's a big "if", we retain 20+% electoral support by the time of the next election we will use that to grow the party's TD's in those areas which promise the greatest returns. One difficult step at a time, as they say.

setanta

They need to really get active on the ground in some rural constituencies.
Not really. Rural Ireland is well outside of Labour's base as things stand, especially during a time of extraordinary flux.

setanta

Candidates under the age of 50 would be a good start. They seem to be by far the oldest looking party of the lot and did poorly in the youth demographic compared to FG.
More lazy journalism. I would recommend a trip to The Labour Party » » Home Page and your taking a gander at our local election candidates/councillors to see the range of people who comprise the upcoming cohort of Labour public representatives.

wombat

More lazy journalism. I would recommend a trip to The Labour Party » » Home Page and your taking a gander at our local election candidates/councillors to see the range of people who comprise the upcoming cohort of Labour public representatives.
That is the danger if a GE comes before the Locals, candidates need to run in the smaller wards so that parties can get an idea of how they will fare with the people across a constituency. One of the mistakes Labour made in 1969 was displacing local candidates with personalities, it took them years to recover once the personalities were defeated in 1977.

ManOfReason

That is why I said seem to be. Whatever bunch of energetic go getters they believe they have in position to take seats, the national representatives of the party are almost all old. One of the reasons for this I believe is that elected Labour TDs are allowed protect 'their' seats by not allowing any up and coming talent run as a number two on the ticket. A good example would be the Wexford constitutiency when Breand Howlin's seat will probably be lost to the Labour Party when he retires.

juanpablo

Is Cork SW an example of the Rural constituencies you mention Setanta that Labour shouldn't focus on?

peader odonnell

To turn the latest poll results into seats there'll be a lot to do. Amongst them is the need to build a constituency infrastructure very quickly.

As with all fast-growing parties, they'll inevitably have to deal with a whole load of carpet-baggers.

Felipe Gonzalez's PSOE suffered very badly from this between the start of democratisation and their election victory in 1982.

If I were a Labour member, this would be a worry.

Anyone else got advice for Labour on how to turn the poll results into permanent seats.
Firstly stop being timid ,stand plenty of candidates in the locals ,also contest Ireland West in The Euros. At the GE contest every constituancy ,where there is hope of two seats stand enough candidates ,i believe GE may well occur before the Locals and Euros by the way.

Labour's problem is that the party is controlled by quota squatters in each constituency, with their leader being one of the biggest of them all. If I see Gilmore agreeing to a credible running mate like Oisin Quinn and then splitting the constituency in a vote management exercise then I might fear them.

Also the more we hear of that old sticky and advocate of printing money Kathleen Lynch the more the middle class will get jumpy.

Most of the swing to Labour in recent polls is from the higher paid echelons in the PS. These will come back to FF in time when they realise we will look after them!!!!

mmclo

Labour's problem is that the party is controlled by quota squatters in each constituency, with their leader being one of the biggest of them all. If I see Gilmore agreeing to a credible running mate like Oisin Quinn and then splitting the constituency in a vote management exercise then I might fear them.
Gilmore has always had a running mate, Oisin Quinn was given ample opportunity last time

dotski_w_

Website
irishpollingreport.wordpress.com
MMclo alluded in another thread to the difference between now and '92 being that the spring tide happening in the course of the election. Few predicted the possibility of 2nd seats in Dubs Nth and Sth prior to the campaign, but they would have got them had they ran the candidates. If what is happening is sustained (of course, far from certain, but if it is...) LP will have a very good LE, where they will get a large number of new Cllrs. Some of these will be the deadweight that many cllrs are, but presumably enough will be good enough to allow them run balanced tickets in constituencies where the 2nd seat is realisable.

This leaves FF with a dilemma. Things are bad now, but if there was an election in the morning, they could be 1-5% behind LP in votes but still ahead of them in seats. After the locals, this advantage will most likely evaporate, even if their vote erodes no further. If they hang in longer, they may actually fatally damage their party.

dotski_w_

Website
irishpollingreport.wordpress.com
Most of the swing to Labour in recent polls is from the higher paid echelons in the PS. These will come back to FF in time when they realise we will look after them!!!!
most of us never voted for ye, the PS voters swinging from FF to LP are the lower paid ones.

You might get some of them back, but I doubt it.

LeftOfCentre

I believe that Labour should run 2 GE candidates in dublin SW and other established areas but If you were Pat Rabbite/Gilmore/Burton what would you say ! ! !

Labour will need to build it's support slowly, , , and steadily!. . .

Labour need to develop on 2 fronts, , , , 1 . Local organisation & membership drives ... & 2 electoral strategy.

In fighting only really happens at national level in a fairly benign way at the moment .... God help us if it starts at a constituency level!

red-365

I believe that Labour should run 2 GE candidates in dublin SW and other established areas but If you were Pat Rabbite/Gilmore/Burton what would you say ! ! !

Labour need to develop on 2 fronts, , , , 1 . Local organisation & membership drives ... & 2 electoral strategy.

In fighting only really happens at national level in a fairly benign way at the moment .... God help us if it starts at a constituency level!
Running 2 candidates in a five seater makes sense, but in a four seater is very risky and in a three seater would be suicide. In Dublin West in the last election, FF got 37% of the first preferences but still only got one seat.

An Gilladaker

;

Let the in fighting commence:cry:

gijoe

Willie Penrose just gave the 'liberal agenda' a good kicking on Radio 1.