• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Professor Barry Cunliffe: Who Were the Celts?

GDPR

Some fascinating new theories emerging on the origins of the Celts and our languages. Could it be that Celtic developed from an Aryan ancestor language in the West and spread East as far a modern day Turkey? Recent DNA evidence suggests that Celtic DNA in Ireland, Britain, France and the Iberian Peninsula is much older than had previously been thought - over 5,000 years old. Celtic and Latin belong to the same branch of Indo-European (they are the only two languages in this group), so it may be that all the Aryans in Western Europe spoke the same language, and over time Celtic and Latin diverged from each other.

[video=youtube;G8FM9nMFbfI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8FM9nMFbfI[/video]

Dame_Enda

Regarding Turkey of course the Galatians could account for Celtic DNA there

TheField

Who gives a f*** as to who the Celts were, other than academics justifying their over inflated salaries???

There maybe a Celtic influence in Ireland but it is so completely enmeshed with Norse, Norman, Saxon and whatever other type of blood and breeding that you'd be having that it makes no sense.

We are Northern Europeans with a particular regional view and culture and that's it. No need to look for some glorious Celtic past as it means nothing.

derryman

Who gives a f*** as to who the Celts were, other than academics justifying their over inflated salaries???

There maybe a Celtic influence in Ireland but it is so completely enmeshed with Norse, Norman, Saxon and whatever other type of blood and breeding that you'd be having that it makes no sense.

We are Northern Europeans with a particular regional view and culture and that's it. No need to look for some glorious Celtic past as it means nothing.
Geez , I find it terribly threatening too. I was just getting used to not being called fenian anymore.

onlyasking

Discussion of the Celts seems to have touched a raw nerve.

firefly123

Well there is definitely more of a tinge of ginge in our minge than in many other countries so we must be a bit more celtic than our neighbours.

runwiththewind

I've always wondered if the people of Ireland went eastwards given that Newgrange is 1000 years older than Stonghenge.

Why Celtic though?

As far as I know, the word Celtic doesn't appear in any ancient manuscript, Gaelic, Saxon or otherwise.

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
Well there is definitely more of a tinge of ginge in our minge than in many other countries so we must be a bit more celtic than our neighbours.
A course of penicillin ought to clear that up for you.

Slievenaglogh

I've always wondered if the people of Ireland went eastwards given that Newgrange is 1000 years older than Stonghenge.

Why Celtic though?

As far as I know, the word Celtic doesn't appear in any ancient manuscript, Gaelic, Saxon or otherwise.
I think you're right. The use of 'Celts' to describe the indigenous people of Britain, Ireland, France, NW Spain only dates from the 18th century? Otherwise, in Roman times it referred to a tribe in the Upper Danube region.

Same with the 'Vikings' another makey-uppey term of recent origin. So, to sum up, there were no such peoples as the Celts or the Vikings.

JCR

I always found the we are Celts things a bit amusing. Sorry I forgot what are our customs again?

Actually I always thought the Celtc race thing was up there was the cultural myth they liked to talk about in Germany with the Aryans. Lo and behold there it is.

So we are really Aryans who took over Germany which would explain all the fightin' with the Brits who are Bretons, no, Saxons, no, Vikings, no, Normans, no Angles, sorry wha?

Aryan. Ryana. RyanAir. Aha.

GDPR

Why Celtic though?

The Greeks used the world Keltoi. The Celts themselves seem to always use a word like Gaul, Gael, Galatian, etc. Galatian is very similar to Celt - with C\G, L and T as the consonents. G is just the voiced version of C.

gerhard dengler

Is this a tacit admission by you that the Celts were in this part of the world first, before the others that you mention?

I welcome research in to each and every tribe who came to this country.

runwiththewind

The Greeks used the world Keltoi. The Celts themselves seem to always use a word like Gaul, Gael, Galatian, etc. Galatian is very similar to Celt - with C\G, L and T as the consonents. G is just the voiced version of C.

As in Gaelician!

Anyway, I thought Celtic was a culture. This is implying that they were an ethnic group if they went East.

Dame_Enda

I always found the we are Celts things a bit amusing. Sorry I forgot what are our customs again?

Actually I always thought the Celtc race thing was up there was the cultural myth they liked to talk about in Germany with the Aryans. Lo and behold there it is.

So we are really Aryans who took over Germany which would explain all the fightin' with the Brits who are Bretons, no, Saxons, no, Vikings, no, Normans, no Angles, sorry wha?

Well I think we have a western democratic culture. You certainly couldn't confuse it with the totalitarian regimes of the Middle East and China.

RasherHash

Y

Aryan, Éireann, Iranian :)

Dub01

I remember an RTE documentary from the seventies that claimed the Irish were the whitest people in the world.

Is that true or is it one of those subjects we are not allowed to discuss these days ?

GDPR

I remember an RTE documentary from the seventies that claimed the Irish were the whitest people in the world.

Is that true or is it one of those subjects we are not allowed to discuss these days ?

They don't come any Whiter than the Irish. Even in the Middle Ages the Irish Coilín was famous all over Europe for her snow white skin.

Catalpast

The Celts as an identity are a modern interpretation

The ancient Irish called themselves the Gaels

- and they accepted that they were not the first people here

However I think we would all recognise that there is a distinct 'Irish' character that defines us

- and that many amongst us have a 'look' that is distinct to this Country

We definitely have a population here

- that has roots going way back into the past...............

Last edited:

shiel

AS I understand it a very high proportion of us have the genes of the people who were here in stone age times. The same is true of the neighbouring island except at at a somewhat lower level.

Those genes are most prevalent among the Basques on the continent.

How we come to speak a celtic language after 500BC is not known. Must have been an invasion.

A subsequent invasion has left us speaking English.

The Basques are still speaking the original stone age language.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies