Progress Russian style - moves to decriminalise some forms of domestic violence

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
So here we have the Russian idea of progress - "A Russian bill to decriminalise some forms of domestic violence has moved a step closer to becoming law."

Domestic violence: Russia MPs back law cutting penalty - BBC News

This is very interesting, but seems to be in line with the attitudes of some Russians - that Russia is a place for macho men, with macho attitudes to life.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
This thread has now been moved to the Europe forum.

ger12

Second thread on this.

that'smadted

So here we have the Russian idea of progress - "A Russian bill to decriminalise some forms of domestic violence has moved a step closer to becoming law."

Domestic violence: Russia MPs back law cutting penalty - BBC News

This is very interesting, but seems to be in line with the attitudes of some Russians - that Russia is a place for macho men, with macho attitudes to life.
If this law applies to both sexes and episodes of domestic abuse are fully investigated, especially with regard to any child occupants, then there is no problem. Apparently you can effectively still slap your kids in Ireland without being jailed, yet if you slap an adult, it's taken more serious.

Truth.ie

It makes perfect sense.
The idea that a mother slapping a teenage son should face the same charges as a drunken husband glassing his wife in the face is ridiculous.
There are varying degrees of rape, varying degrees of homicide (manslaughter, murder, unlawful killing etc), so why not varying degrees of domestic violence charges.

The BBC are spinning this like they did with the "Iran hangs gays" stories.....which was also bullshyt.

Elvis jaffacake

There are "varying degrees of rape"...well that is interesting.

Dame_Enda

They are legalising wifebeating. The Islamists in the Caucasus will be pleased.

Mrs Mizulinas arguments for this law are darkly reminscent of those used for the Magdalene Launderies in Ireland in the discredited past. Not exactly something to aim for.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
No, there isn't.
The point is appallingly put. But there are different sets of circumstances surrounding rape, just as there are different circumstances surrouding of other forms of assault, and even different sets of circumstances surrounding acts of murder, and in all these cases the circumstances need to be considered when making judgements, and particularly when sentencing.

That by no means necessarily implies that there is any need to legislate to define several types of rape, assault or murder.

rainmaker

Administrator
The point is appallingly put. But there are different sets of circumstances surrounding rape, just as there are different circumstances surrouding of other forms of assault, and even different sets of circumstances surrounding acts of murder, and in all these cases the circumstances need to be considered when making judgements, and particularly when sentencing.

That by no means necessarily implies that there is any need to legislate to define several types of rape, assault or murder.
I can understand that - it must be the fact you expressed it better and have more credibility than 'Truth' up there.

silverharp

No there isn't & the fact that you imagine there is, is deeply troubling.
so 2 people very intoxicated who have sex but because the law would prosecute the man because the woman didn't have the capacity to consent is the same as being dragged down a lane ?

GDPR

They are legalising wifebeating. The Islamists in the Caucasus will be pleased.

Mrs Mizulinas arguments for this law are darkly reminscent of those used for the Magdalene Launderies in Ireland in the discredited past. Not exactly something to aim for.
It isn't. Look my dad actually beat me up a few times, there is a massive difference between that and spanking a child. It isn't nice and should be avoided but no one should put a slap across a cheek in a heated argument on a par with wife beating- or husband beating because that is something women do to. And no my better half hasn't done it to me- though a couple of times I have given him occasion to- and I haven't done it to him. People getting worked up about this are actually minimizing real domestic violence just like those who get worked up about spanking are minimizing genuine child abuse.

GDPR

When did this thread turn into another pie rape fest?

The bill is about decriminalising domestic violence towards women and children. Battering a spouse or child would become subject to only a fine. Only broken bones, concussion or repeat offences would become liable to criminal charges.

According to Russian interior ministry estimates, 40 women a day and 14,000 women a year die at the hands of their husbands or spouses, while 600,000 face violent domestic abuse each year.

The bill is sponsored by extreme rightwing politcians (Russia is a rightwing country by the way, just in case you think its at all liberal or leftwing). The place is a crap hole.

silverharp

When did this thread turn into another pie rape fest?

The bill is about decriminalising domestic violence towards women and children. Battering a spouse or child would become subject to only a fine. Only broken bones, concussion or repeat offences would become liable to criminal charges.

According to Russian interior ministry estimates, 40 women a day and 14,000 women a year die at the hands of their husbands or spouses, while 600,000 face violent domestic abuse each year.

The bill is sponsored by extreme rightwing politcians (Russia is a rightwing country by the way, just in case you think its at all liberal or leftwing). The place is a crap hole.
I heard that that 14000 number was BS and is just a number that floats around under its own steam, I havnt checked but apparently not even close to that many women are killed in total

GDPR

I heard that that 14000 number was BS and is just a number that floats around under its own steam, I havnt checked but apparently not even close to that many women are killed in total

You heard wrong.

Russia has huge problems with sexism, domestic abuse, and violence within the home, often caused by drinking. You must be the one person who doesnt know this.

amsterdemmetje

Yet you took the time to post the above, when you could just go and check it and come back with the truth or some alternative facts maybe.

rainmaker

Administrator
so 2 people very intoxicated who have sex but because the law would prosecute the man because the woman didn't have the capacity to consent is the same as being dragged down a lane ?
You clearly missed my clarification to Toland - always wise to check for a wider context.

amsterdemmetje

I know a couple of Russian /Latvian/Lithuanian who do security and what surprises me is their openness even boasting about slapping their women around. We all know it happens at home in secret behind closed doors here and mostly after the fact but when you hear guys actually boasting about that's a different story.

GDPR

I know a couple of Russian /Latvian/Lithuanian who do security and what surprises me is their openness even boasting about slapping their women around. We all know it happens at home in secret behind closed doors here and mostly after the fact but when you hear guys actually boasting about that's a different story.
Unfortunately, there is a culture of contempt towards women in the former Soviet Union.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies