Prominent Lecturer Jailed for 12 Years for Sex Abuse

danger here

Prominent academic serving jail term for sex abuse of nephew

Really shocked to read about this. Brian was one of my lecturers at DIT and would be well known for his work and constitutional knowledge, half the class was made up of Gards. A really sharp guy and very much on the side of ordinary man, which is rare for a lawyer. Always gave me the impression he might have hardcore republican views but none the less I never would have thought in a million years he would have been up to anything like this. Really bizarre to read about and quite brutal for his nephew.

GDPR

Prominent academic serving jail term for sex abuse of nephew

Really shocked to read about this. Brian was one of my lecturers at DIT and would be well known for his work and constitutional knowledge, half the class was made up of Gards. A really sharp guy and very much on the side of ordinary man, which is rare for a lawyer. Always gave me the impression he might have hardcore republican views but none the less I never would have thought in a million years he would have been up to anything like this. Really bizarre to read about and quite brutal for his nephew.
Awful. But you know abusers don't go round with a big old sign saying "I'm a pervert."

Apart from the utter horror of the victims experience, I often think about the people who really and genuinely thought they were dealing with a good guy - and now feel worried and frightened and doubt themselves.

That's the poison these creatures leave in their wake.

danger here

Some very harrowing reading there, fair play to the nephew for seeing things through. Says he was a scout leader and a referee. You'd nearly have to bet he was abused himself by the Christian Brothers. A very good read below all the same, no detail spared.

One man

gerhard dengler

Some very harrowing reading there, fair play to the nephew for seeing things through. Says he was a scout leader and a referee. You'd nearly have to bet he was abused himself by the Christian Brothers. A very good read below all the same, no detail spared.

One man
Doolan's textbook Principles of Irish Law was one of the textbooks we used in our first year syllabus.

You knew this guy well?

danger here

Doolan's textbook Principles of Irish Law was one of the textbooks we used in our first year syllabus.

You knew this guy well?
4 years studying part time and I'd say we had at least 50% of our lectures with him as he covered European Law and some other stuff, would have spent a lot of time and formed a reasonably good opinion of him intectually. He could be quite witty, albeit we didn't know at the time he was a paedophile. The Gards used to invite him out for Christmas drinks, no wonder he never came along!

gerhard dengler

4 years studying part time and I'd say we had at least 50% of our lectures with him as he covered European Law and some other stuff, would have spent a lot of time and formed a reasonably good opinion of him intectually. He could be quite witty, albeit we didn't know at the time he was a paedophile. The Gards used to invite him out for Christmas drinks, no wonder he never came along!
I can understand your shock therefore. Very understandable in fact.

storybud1

Wall , Shotgun in the Face, pure evil scum getting it right back at him.

Justice (not law) served,

Why do sooo many people confuse justice with that business called law? his victims were abused twice, I had a law lecturer and he made me laugh with how fooking ridiculous he behaved and how utterly rubbish he was at anything only talking about himself in the D4 scene and dropping names.

danger here

Actually just thinking back to his many lectures, one thing he was big on was people being given a fair hearing, no trial by media ect. He was big on wording and how the common man on the street/tabloids have a great misconception of how the law is applied.

I specifically remember him telling us something along the lines of: it's not illegal to be a paedophile, it's illegal to carry out paedophile acts. At the time it stood in my head as it was a fair point, but now that example takes a different meaning in hindsight.

GDPR

Actually just thinking back to his many lectures, one thing he was big on was people being given a fair hearing, no trial by media ect. He was big on wording and how the common man on the street/tabloids have a great misconception of how the law is applied.

I specifically remember him telling us something along the lines of: it's not illegal to be a paedophile, it's illegal to carry out paedophile acts. At the time it stood in my head as it was a fair point, but now that example takes a different meaning in hindsight.
Bells would have rung in my head right there, if I was listening to a law lecturer, which I did for all the years of my LLb degree.

That's like saying "No harm in wanting to rape someone, it you don't actually rape anyone". In other words its a nonsense - legally. Everyone knows that its the offence that counts. Did he have to spell that out?

How did he define "paedophilia"?

danger here

Bells would have rung in my head right there, if I was listening to a law lecturer, which I did for all the years of my LLb degree.

That's like saying "No harm in wanting to rape someone, it you don't actually rape anyone". In other words its a nonsense - legally. Everyone knows that its the offence that counts. Did he have to spell that out?

How did he define "paedophilia"?
Very easy to say Eagle. For the record, he also used the same example with racism I recall. We had three or four other lecturers with similar eccentric personalities. Should we also assume they are now paedophiles? I get on a bit too well with my boss as well, that doesn't mean I should suspect him of being up to something. Same story with Paul McGrath or Niall Quinn, a bit too nice aren't they, where do you draw the line? The fact is the guy is outed as a paedo in 2017, it's very unlikely anyone (bar the one close friend mentioned) who worked with him in any capacity had any reason to suspect. He was married as of ten years ago, house in France, followed League of Ireland avidly and had a slight hatred for 'de Brits'. There's no knowing with these guys/girls.

GDPR

Very easy to say Eagle. For the record, he also used the same example with racism I recall. We had three or four other lecturers with similar eccentric personalities. Should we also assume they are now paedophiles? I get on a bit too well with my boss as well, that doesn't mean I should suspect him of being up to something. Same story with Paul McGrath or Niall Quinn, a bit too nice aren't they, where do you draw the line? The fact is the guy is outed as a paedo in 2017, it's very unlikely anyone (bar the one close friend mentioned) who worked with him in any capacity had any reason to suspect. He was married as of ten years ago, house in France, followed League of Ireland avidly and had a slight hatred for 'de Brits'. There's no knowing with these guys/girls.
I wasn't having a poke, my point was that some abusers are often very well connected, very plausible and in a position where no one would ever listen to the tell -tale signs "He is a wrong un" - because everyone else is saying "Hes important -jobs, connections etc"

But they ALWAYS give themselves away.

gerhard dengler

Don't mind that bullsh1ter.

Hindsight is no sight. Yeah we're all wise to lots of things after the fact....zzzzzzzzzzzz.

I guess every student of his will be shocked by the media reports of the case. They'll be shocked by what the content says, but they will also be shocked because he was their lecturer, and therefore "they know" him.

But in reality only those people closest to him, his family and close friends perhaps, might actually know him.

Sister Mercedes

He [his victim] is highly critical of the justice system, saying he felt under attack during the trial.

“If I had known it would be like this I wouldn’t have done it - and that’s the God’s honest truth,” Mr Kershaw told The Irish Times. “I’ve said to [support agency] One in Four not to let me talk to any other victims because I’d advise them not to do it. It’s terrible.”

Old Mr Grouser

Seems he was a scout leader and football ref in his younger days ...
It's always the nice one's you need to watch

Going back 20 years or so, when I was RC, I had some dealings with Fr Kit Cunnngham - he was the editor of the diocesan newspaper - and I formed a very high opinion of him.

But voluntary youth-leaders, Scout Leaders in particular, are high-risk. A lot more should be done along the lines of background-checks and 'positive vetting', particularly in regard to their drinking; drunkenness is very often involved in these awful situations.

GDPR

It's always the nice one's you need to watch

Going back 20 years or so, when I was RC, I had some dealings with Fr Kit Cunnngham - he was the editor of the diocesan newspaper - and I formed a very high opinion of him.

But voluntary youth-leaders, Scout Leaders in particular, are high-risk. A lot more should be done along the lines of background-checks and 'positive vetting', particularly in regard to their drinking; drunkenness is very often involved in these awful situations.
Jeepers Grouser, I and many of my pals have been so drunk, we had to be drunk to feel sober, but we never fingered, buggered or got sexy time with kids.

I'm being desperately unliked and told to piss off on this thread for pointing out the man was someone with power, status and authority, and although the signs were there, no one would act on them - because he was a big deal.

It really is that simple.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies