Propaganda wars

GDPR

American Exceptionalism - the Neocon's favourite ideology..

Crooked Hillary's 'America's Pacific Century' piece was also adopted as official US Foreign Policy, so no doubt the pressure will mount further on China too.

Nutcases!

Indeed. US policy is to prevent any other nation or power bloc becoming a counter weight to American influence in the world.

You need to look a the Wolfowitz Doctrine to understand the role of the US in the ME for example.

"Our first objective is to prevent the re-emergence of a new rival, either on the territory of the former Soviet Union or elsewhere that poses a threat on the order of that posed by the former Soviet Union ,,, to prevent any hostile power from dominating a region whose resources would under consolidated control be sufficient to generate global power."

Of course there is no evidence that Russia is "hostile" at all - it simply wants to do business with China and the EU, not invade them or subject them to tyranny.

Polly Ticks

Russian militarism disgusts me just as much as Western militarism.

I have characterized the British establishment and their lackeys (as distinct from the ordinary people of Britain who have nothing to do with war) as hyperiolent war-mongers on this forum. History bears this out. The UK is of the most dangerous and violent presences the world has ever seen.

The very same can be said of the Russian establishment, however. Just ask their neighbours.

So what's to argue about or celebrate here? Domination of one set of militaristic fooks over another?

Western establishments have murdered their own people far less than the Russian establishment, it has to be said.. to the tune of tens of millions.

What does this say?

Russia has a small population relative to other countries and yet the establishment wields so much military power (again, like the British).

I find nothing to celebrate in either establishment culture, TBH. It's all just a celebration of militarism.

To my eyes, Russia (the state, not to be confused with the ordinary everyday people that nothing to do with the Russian MIC) is just another rogue state, and a dangerous force on the world stage like Britain, France and all the other war-mongers.

maxflinn

Indeed. US policy is to prevent any other nation or power bloc becoming a counter weight to American influence in the world.

You need to look a the Wolfowitz Doctrine to understand the role of the US in the ME for example.

"Our first objective is to prevent the re-emergence of a new rival, either on the territory of the former Soviet Union or elsewhere that poses a threat on the order of that posed by the former Soviet Union ,,, to prevent any hostile power from dominating a region whose resources would under consolidated control be sufficient to generate global power."

Of course there is no evidence that Russia is "hostile" at all - it simply wants to do business with China and the EU, not invade them or subject them to tyranny.
I'll have a gander at it later, cheers.

GDPR

I have characterized the British establishment and their lackeys (as distinct from the ordinary people of Britain who have nothing to do with war) as hyperiolent war-mongers on this forum. History bears this out. The UK is of the most dangerous and violent presences the world has ever seen.

The very same can be said of the Russian establishment, however. Just ask their neighbours.

So what's to argue about or celebrate here? Domination of one set of militaristic fooks over another?

Western establishments have murdered their own people far less than the Russian establishment, it has to be said.. to the tune of tens of millions.

What does this say?

Russia has a small population relative to other countries and yet the establishment wields so much military power (again, like the British).

I find nothing to celebrate in either establishment culture, TBH. It's all just a celebration of militarism.

To my eyes, Russia (the state, not to be confused with the ordinary everyday people that nothing to do with the Russian MIC) is just another rogue state, and a dangerous force on the world stage like Britain, France and all the other war-mongers.
That is very highminded of you, but it ignores the fact that it is not Russia which is expanding westwards through a military alliance or carrying out full scale war games on European borders.

Nor is there any equivalent of the Brezinzinski or Wolfowitz Doctrines in Russian foreign policy.

between the bridges

What does this say?

Get off yer horse and drink yer milk pilgrim...

Polly Ticks

That is very highminded of you,
High-minded? No. It is practical and direct... every human being on this planet is either part of the problem of violence (state-sponsored and others) and its perpetual cycles (whether through participation in it or by expressing support for those who use it)... or not.

I refuse to be part of the problem.

GDPR

High-minded? No. It is practical and direct... every human being on this planet is either part of the problem of violence (state-sponsored and others) and its perpetual cycles (whether through participation in it or by expressing support for those who use it)... or not.

I refuse to be part of the problem.
Good for you.

But what we are discussing is not the evils of militarism in general but the reasons why Russia is demonised in the US press and other western media.

This sort of propaganda is always used in the service of promoting international aggression and conflict. Therefore you should be wary of it.

Polly Ticks

Get off yer horse and drink yer milk pilgrim...
The UK establishment has been at war for centuries.

It has warred with almost every country on earth.

These are facts. The British establishment is a dangerous and violent presence on the global stage. Has been so for centuries.

But why take offense? You're not part of the establishment.. they wouldn't have you.

Anyway, where's me hug? I've asked you months ago and now all I'm getting is John Wayne pics.. its hard to keep the pipes of peace going in the circumstances, I can tell you.

Eire1976

What does this say?

The Sarge to the fore to protect the British militaristic establishment.

Polly Ticks

Good for you.

But what we are discussing is not the evils of militarism in general but the reasons why Russia is demonised in the US press and other western media.

This sort of propaganda is always used in the service of promoting international aggression and conflict. Therefore you should be wary of it.
But that observation is so obvious it barely needs repeating.

We can believe nothing out of Moscow or the West right now. That's the way it is.

The topics are related though.

What should we do when we know we are being lied to and we cannot trust any government anywhere?

Choose a path of non-violence.. so that you can be sure that you will never employ violence in the name of a lie.

Eire1976

These are facts. The British establishment is a dangerous and violent presence on the global stage. Has been so for centuries.

But why take offense? You're not part of the establishment.. they wouldn't have you.

Anyway, where's me hug? I've asked you months ago and now all I'm getting is John Wayne pics.. its hard to keep the pipes of peace going in the circumstances, I can tell you.
The British are the world biggest War mongers, only lately being outdone by the USA.

Polly Ticks

The British are the world biggest War mongers, only lately being outdone by the USA.
Ask Russia's neighbours who they think the worst warmongers are.

Anyway, rhetorical flourishes in previous posts aside, my point is that propaganda in the service of militarism is poison, wherever it originates.

between the bridges

What does this say?

Yer grovelling apology is accepted, as for the rest Pffft does moi look easy, up yer game big boy and we'll see what happens...

Polly Ticks

First Dáil - Department of Taoiseach

The First Dail had a Director/Minister for Propaganda.

Name: Laurence Ginnell
Post held: Propaganda (from 2.4.19 to 26.8.21)
Wiki (seems to be a bit off in the job titles):

In April 1918, a Sinn Féin Department of Propaganda was established at No. 6 Harcourt Street in charge of Robert Brennan. The portfolio was created to promote the new government of Ireland throughout the country. After the First Dáil came into being a similar department was set up under the new Dáil, concentrating more on overseas publicity. Both Departments co-operated in issuing publicity material. The first Director of Publicity under Dáil Éireann was Laurence Ginnell.

The post was abolished at the end of the Second Dáil.
What's the equivalent today?

Bord Failte? :)

GDPR

America is the successor empire of the British Empire.

And the Wolfowitz/Brzezinski doctrines are the revamped successor doctrines of Mackiinder's Heartland Theory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Geographical_Pivot_of_History
Thats true. Anyone remember the famous quote from a Bush aid at the time of the second Iraq War?

It was thought to be karl Rove, but may have been someone far more junior.

The aide said that guys like me were "in what we call the reality-based community," which he defined as people who "believe that solutions emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality." ... "That's not the way the world really works anymore," he continued. "We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality—judiciously, as you will—we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors…and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do

Ahh, hubris ...

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom