• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Property market slowdown beginning to take effect

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Estate agents have reportedly signalled that the property market is finally beginning to cool after years of soaring prices. Reports this morning say the experts warned yesterday that the first evidence of the long-predicted soft landing was beginning to emerge, with some homes seeing a drop in prices for the first time in more than 10 years. BreakingNews.ie

zakalwe

yet on fri there were hysterical reports that house prices were still "spiralling out of control".

the mortgage volumes and averages have remained constant for the last 3 quarters or so.

i'd be inclined to believe imperical evidence rather than heresay from the last few saturday viewings.

Website
www.finfacts.com
zakalwe said:
i'd be inclined to believe imperical evidence rather than heresay from the last few saturday viewings.
I would agree.

Lending by the biggest market player PermanentTSB is up 50% in the first half of 2006 compared with the same period in 2005. Private sector lending is at a six year high and the CIF expect that 6,000 more new houses will be built in 2006 compared with 2005.

Government receipts from the housing market may rise to €9bn this year - 18.6% of total planned public spending (current and capital) and Albert Reynolds's Ailesbury Rd house is set to make €16 million. He paid €766,000 for it in 1994 and will trouser about €9 m after the completion of the purchase of an apartment in the Four Seasons' Hotel - it must be easier than making money from petfood. :)

As for anyone thinking of buying a new housing unit, just feel happy that you will be the victim of the mother of all stealth taxes - an average of €100,000 in payments to the Government from the current average total price of a new unit @ €291K

Universal_001

This strikes me as industry propaganda there is always a lull of house buying during the summer months.

jonna

Universal_001 said:
This strikes me as industry propaganda there is always a lull of house buying during the summer months.
True..
I am concerned at the fact that the housing market seems to be the only thing holding the economy together (and this market based on unrealistic house prices)..What will happen to our economy when the property market actually falls?

jonna

Universal_001

jonna said:
Universal_001 said:
True..
I am concerned at the fact that the housing market seems to be the only thing holding the economy together (and this market based on unrealistic house prices)..What will happen to our economy when the property market actually falls?

jonna
Massive service sector job losses, massive construction sector job losses, boarded up houses in the communter belt, massive drop in tax revenue which will mean painful cuts in social expendature.

and I wonder, since FF took credit for a celtic tiger they of course single handidly created, will they take credit for promoting policies that helped the bubble along? No, I don't think they will.

david

Universal_001 said:
Massive service sector job losses, massive construction sector job losses, boarded up houses in the communter belt, massive drop in tax revenue which will mean painful cuts in social expendature.
...and emigration.

georgedillon

Uni:
"Massive service sector job losses, massive construction sector job losses, boarded up houses in the communter belt, massive drop in tax revenue which will mean painful cuts in social expendature."

Add in social conflict and violence, as Irish youths clash with Asian, African and Eastern European gangs.
gd

david

But will the Irish youth be here? They'll be following the money. The non-Irish may not be able to afford to emigrate.

georgedillon said:
Uni:
"Massive service sector job losses, massive construction sector job losses, boarded up houses in the communter belt, massive drop in tax revenue which will mean painful cuts in social expendature."

Add in social conflict and violence, as Irish youths clash with Asian, African and Eastern European gangs.
gd
i like that.

not 'irish gangs' clashing with Asian, African and Eastern European gangs.

are you implying the irish youth wouldn't form gangs GD?

david

Universal_001 said:
:shock: Jesus I thought I was cynical! :lol:
Stick around.

The OD

StoneTheIceman said:

We Irishmen are the paragons of Europe, nay the world! Didnt you know that this was an utopia before nasty immigrants started importing drugs, crime and general nefariousness into our sacred little patch of the world!

Sheesh, we had colleens dancing at the crossroads, prices were reasonable and all the politicians where honest!

:wink:

hiker

StoneTheIceman said:
georgedillon said:
Uni:

gd
i like that.

some of the muppets can barely form sentances.
I've rarely come accross such a bunch of down-beat, pessimistic, doom-laden.........people. :roll:
In the middle of all this wealth, work and wonder, come this crowd of whinging, weeping, wnakers.

Christ spare me. :shock:

angelcountry

hiker said:
StoneTheIceman said:
georgedillon said:
Uni:

gd
i like that.

I've rarely come accross such a bunch of down-beat, pessimistic, doom-laden.........people. :roll:
In the middle of all this wealth, work and wonder, come this crowd of whinging, weeping, wnakers.

Absolutely,some people are UNDECATED TUGS sometimes. :lol:

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
I wonder about a breakout of these figures. Curious to know about difference between neighborhoods. In particular then to try to plot it against "traffic quality".

Eg will areas along Luas line rise disproportionately ?
will congested areas such as the Lucan Legoplex be adversely affected ?

Also given that I suspect that traffic is becoming a huge factor in house price (only a suspicion) I wonder will core city centre areas remain unaffected & stay rising ?

Also given the forthcoming plans re Luas extensions, rail extensions & potentially a metro: the decision where to route these will cause a dramatic effect on property prices. Some people winning an arbitrary lottery seems unfair to me, however I wonder is there anything "fair" that can be done about it ?

And lastly... if Dublin starts to be allowed to go high rise (as surely must be the intention of developers who purchased land out here in Jury's & AIB in Ballsbridge) ... will this cause traffic blackspots (Rathfarnam, lucan etc, etc) to go even lower in value ?

cYp

hiker said:
StoneTheIceman said:
georgedillon said:
Uni:

gd
i like that.

dude, whatever you're smoking...stop!!

Website
theconservativedubliner.blogspot.com
Universal_001 said:
Also, the sky will fall on our heads.

The property market generally follows the economy not the other way around, lads and lasses.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies