• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Property Tax - what idiot is doing the valuations?

The OD

Seriously, did they outsource the valuations to the Chimpanzees?

I just opened my valuation and they have my house value estimated at TWICE what I paid for it in the boom times.

Twice. Is this just an attempt to annoy us? I have a very good idea what my house is worth because I am trying to gauge interest in it as I want out of this country. Canada is my desired destination.

As a result I am considering putting up some racist/sectarian/Fianna Fail signs signs in my garden to drive the price down. I am honestly going to send them €20 because if they can come out with a stupid sum, so can I.

Perhaps we can meet in the middle but I doubt it. I'll have to do all the thinking it seems.

dresden8

They are not valuing your house. They are valuing your area.

It's a rushed balls up.

jo9jo

I just opened my valuation and they have my house value estimated at TWICE what I paid for it in the boom times.

Twice. Is this just an attempt to annoy us? I have a very good idea what my house is worth because I am trying to gauge interest in it as I want out of this country. Canada is my desired destination.

As a result I am considering putting up some racist/sectarian/Fianna Fail signs signs in my garden to drive the price down. I am honestly going to send them €20 because if they can come out with a stupid sum, so can I.

Perhaps we can meet in the middle but I doubt it. I'll have to do all the thinking it seems.
The lowest amount you can pay os EUR 45.

mido

or you could just fill in the section with your own valuation and return the form.

ps. If you are going to Canada get ready for form filling by the day and regulation to make your eyes water

http://www.gouv.qc.ca/portail/quebec/pgs/commun/portrait/administration-publique/?lang=en

Last edited:

Marcos the black

They've got you providing them with the info they need. Job done.

The OD

hiding behind a poster

Twice. Is this just an attempt to annoy us?
House prices are down by approximately 50% from the peak, therefore what they're quoting doesn't sound a million miles off.

Edit: Misread the OP, sorry.....

Last edited:

tigerben

Sure according to the valuation , our area must be insulated and I'm surprised we don't have people or Actioneers knocking at our door looking to buy. We like you have a house that's more valuable that what we brought it for! No boom and bust for Midleton it seems.

Passer-by

The "idiot doing the valuations" is you when you complete the form.

Any other figures are just rough guides which you are free to ignore (provided you can stand over your own valuation that is).

The OD

House prices are down by approximately 50% from the peak, therefore what they're quoting doesn't sound a million miles off.
? What? By that rationale their estimate is 4 times what it is worth.

My home was never worth what they are estimating it to be worth even when the market was booming. This is just laziness at best.

(This is not a thread about the tax itself, if I have to pay it I have to pay but I am not paying a penny more than I should and I am certainly not taking their idiotic 'valuation' into account.)

jo9jo

? What? By that rationale their estimate is 4 times what it is worth.

My home was never worth what they are estimating it to be worth even when the market was booming. This is just laziness at best.

(This is not a thread about the tax itself, if I have to pay it I have to pay but I am not paying a penny more than I should and I am certainly not taking their idiotic 'valuation' into account.)
Next election vote for FF to solve the problem.

General Mayhem

They're valuing YOU.

Take it as a compliment - and demand a raise.

Last edited:

The OD

Next election vote for FF to solve the problem.
It's tempting, but outright economic collapse would be a bit of a bummer.

Anyway, where the hell are they getting these estimations? Why bother doing them, more waste by the PS.

The OD

They're valuing YOU.

Take it as a compliment - and demand a raise.
If they are valuing me I have only one fully functional kidney and a possible cancer relapse. I'd say I'm worth very little to be honest.

My foul mouth is one of the only fully working parts left.

Spanner Island

Nobody is valuing your house...

It's up to you to value your own house... and God help you if you get it wrong...

The entire thing is another 'state' imposed shambles...

Sync

Just do what I did OD, set fire to some tyres in your garden and drink beer naked in a paddling pool for a few weeks. Fixed the value right up.

stakerwallace

Nobody is valuing your house...

It's up to you to value your own house... and God help you if you get it wrong...

The entire thing is another 'state' imposed shambles...
It's self assessed as you know, and as such, I recommend that you underestimate it down by one notch than that which is sought. With 7% off ps salaries due at any moment that will foul up any recovery in the property market anyway as they are among the few getting mortgages.