• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Property Tax :

gerhard dengler

It appears that the Property Tax offensive is being ramped up.

The Property Tax must be paid by all property owners before the end of May 2013.

Revenue will write to every home owner and home owners will be required to submit a return (file) and a payment (pay) to Revenue by the end of May 2013.

Revenue have the power to obtain details of home ownership from utility companies and banks, according to the blurb.

Property owners who fail to file and pay will have 8% interest applied to the amount owed by Revenue.
Revenue will attach the tax and interest to the property and the amount owed will remain with the property until the amount owed is paid.

Even where the property is sold or transferred the amount owed will exist until the amount is settled.

Some people will pay this tax and some people won't/can't pay this tax.

Die Einkünfte kommen!

Last edited:

carruthers

It will be interesting. I know one or two who are steadfastly against paying and wonder if their nerve will hold. I'll be paying although it is disgusting how little I'll get in return considering we pay for virtually all our services separately anyways.

still-life

It will be interesting. I know one or two who are steadfastly against paying and wonder if their nerve will hold. I'll be paying although it is disgusting how little I'll get in return considering we pay for virtually all our services separately anyways.
Apparently they're going to audit defaulters...

Property tax sting – Revenue will probe evaders' finances - News, The Budget - Independent.ie

but while they're making an example of little-guys to prove a political point, who is going to audit the people that revenue would have otherwise been auditing? Are we going to have large-scale tax-evaders slip through the net in order to facilitate political face-saving?

gerhard dengler

Personally I wouldn't be too worried about the audit issue.

Revenue have access to peoples tax returns and they can access bank accounts to see how much cash is flowing through peoples bank accounts.

What is an new development is that Revenue appear to be empowered to access utility companies records for example, in order to try to collect this tax and to attach to the property a lien in the case of payment default.

Asparagus

Property tax sting – Revenue will probe evaders' finances - News, The Budget - Independent.ie

but while they're making an example of little-guys to prove a political point, who is going to audit the people that revenue would have otherwise been auditing? Are we going to have large-scale tax-evaders slip through the net in order to facilitate political face-saving?
If only 10,000 people dodge the property tax - it will probably tie up the Revenue for half the year.

The troika will not be amused

Cassandra Syndrome

That's just more fearmongering from that disgusting ginger gutter sycophantic reporter. He's one of the most vile individuals in the country.

Analyzer

Wonderful. This will make housing even cheaper.

I am looking forward to Brian Hayes spending the next twelve months talking about hitting the bottom of the bottom in the housing market, to be completely flummoxed all along the way.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Personally I wouldn't be too worried about the audit issue.

Revenue have access to peoples tax returns and they can access bank accounts to see how much cash is flowing through peoples bank accounts.

What is an new development is that Revenue appear to be empowered to access utility companies records for example, in order to try to collect this tax and to attach to the property a lien in the case of payment default.
Am I missing something in all of this.. where on ones tax returns do you state whether you are a homeowner or not ?

How does Revenue know you "own" the address you live in ?

Neutron

Some Local hero you are, runs when scared!

smitchy2

Good.
A much needed stable tax but will still go nowhere to cover the amount spent on local services.
When this tax is decided at local level there might be something for them councillers to do other then attending funerals and speeding up passport applications.

Spanner Island

It appears that the Property Tax offensive is being ramped up.

The Property Tax must be paid by all property owners before the end of May 2013.

Revenue will write to every home owner and home owners will be required to submit a return (file) and a payment (pay) to Revenue by the end of May 2013.

Revenue have the power to obtain details of home ownership from utility companies and banks, according to the blurb.

Property owners who fail to file and pay will have 8% interest applied to the amount owed by Revenue.
Revenue will attach the tax and interest to the property and the amount owed will remain with the property until the amount owed is paid.

Even where the property is sold or transferred the amount owed will exist until the amount is settled.
Yeah - I was listening to this on the radio and it sounds like there will be no hiding places...

But wouldn't it be nice if the rest of the 'state' was as efficient...

Because it seems to be the case that all the revenue generating parts of the state work very well while all the services which are supposed to be provided but which cost money are sh!t...

Clanrickard

Am I missing something in all of this.. where on ones tax returns do you state whether you are a homeowner or not ?

Don't you have to pay tax when you buy the house? They must have records of this. If enough people refuse to pay Revenue will be tied up for years.

gerhard dengler

I think people need to get mobilised.

We have 470,000 mortgages in this country owing €79 billion currently.
An organised strategic default would send a very very direct message to the politicians and the banks.

The only caveat I have is that if this strategy gets mobilised, the government will try to attack the more vulnerable in our society to compensate.

Spanner Island

I think people need to get mobilised.

We have 470,000 mortgages in this country owing €79 billion currently.
An organised strategic default would send a very very direct message to the politicians and the banks.

The only caveat I have is that if this strategy gets mobilised, the government will try to attack the more vulnerable in our society to compensate.
If they're not the most vulnerable already, middle Ireland home owners are fast becoming the most vulnerable... and particularly those who bought at the peak of the insanity...

gerhard dengler

It appears that they're empowered now to access all and any records from utilities/banks etc to see who is paying the mortgage, according to the blurb.

Let's take it that Revenue have all powers at their disposal in order to try to collect this tax.

Fractional Reserve

The best ways to kill bureaucracy is to keep writing letters and demanding answers , so keep writing to revenue you are not happy with the valuation , demand answers, set as many questions as you can , demand persons names within the revenue, tie them up with phone calls, but say you want everything in writing , it will bring the place to a grinding halt .

Neutron

Just refuse to pay.

If everyone stuck with each other there is no way they could colect this tax.

Im shocked that no political party has come out yet and said vote for us and we will cancel the property tax and change the law to allow for all previous debts to be wiped.

Clanrickard

The best ways to kill bureaucracy is to keep writing letters and demanding answers , so keep writing to revenue you are not happy with the valuation , demand answers, set as many questions as you can , demand persons names within the revenue, tie them up with phone calls, but say you want everything in writing , it will bring the place to a grinding halt .
Good point. When dealing with these people always demand to know who makes the decision by name and demand to know under what piece of legislation they are so acting. I have seen this work before.

gerhard dengler

Just refuse to pay.

If everyone stuck with each other there is no way they could colect this tax.

Im shocked that no political party has come out yet and said vote for us and we will cancel the property tax and change the law to allow for all previous debts to be wiped.
Social solidarity would be a start Neutron.

Ribeye

So hang on, the whole country has one week (or one month online), to challange the valuation issued by Revenue????

How the fck is the whole country supposed to get a valuation done in the same week??

Not possible, and they are breaking the Dara protection laws with the ESB thing,

The govt has prevented the banks from applying penalty interest onto loan arrears, yet they apply 8% to people who are in arrears on this tax?

Do not pay folks, nobody, let them fck off, this is extortion, pure and simple, and it's a pretty clumsy attempt tbh,

"when injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty"

If we don't stand now, what the fck are we going be leaving behind for our kids?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies