Proposal for Luas-lite or BlueLine

biteback

RTE, UCD, St Vincents Hospital, DLR County Council and Sandyford Business Estates Association have proposed a bus rapid transport route that would link Sandyford to Sydney Parade DART station, at a cost of €33 million.

Media Reports:
First bus rapid-transit route for Dublin would link Sydney Parade and Sandyford - The Irish Times - Sat, Oct 09, 2010

Plans for 'Luas-lite' unveiled in capital's suburbs - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

BlueLine website:
BlueLine - Proposed Southeast Dublin Rapid Transport Service

McDave

Sounds interesting. I didn't read anywhere that Dublin Bus were going to get the gig. It would be good to see it going to another operator, like the LUAS did. If the PDs did anything right, it was to break the "CIE" monopoly on city transport.

biteback

It does sound very interesting and I am delighted that these organisations are taking the initiative, although I wonder if this is the best route to be used initially for a bus rapid transport line. While it might be full during peak times, I wonder what it would be like in during the daytime and after 7.30pm?

€33m does sound very reasonable though. I think this has a good chance of going ahead, especially with RTE involved.

sowhat

Good news, have seen this type of tram in Lyon and Istanbul with it's own dedicated roadspace. Great to use as glides passes the endless traffic jams in Istanbul.

This Country

Just had a look at the promo video. Looks like it's just a very good bus service! It really shows up how far Dublin Bus are falling short.

Interesting that DLR County Council are involved. I wonder if this is a sign of things to come. I can see lots of advantages of a unified Dublin City Council taking charge of these matters under the leadership of a Dublin Mayor.

Hopefully it will go ahead, and be replicated in other parts of the city (and the other cities). It looks like a great way of connecting existing services. I hope they will be able to piggyback on the integrated ticketing system currently being developed, without having to develop a whole new system to accommodate them!

hmmm

Sorry to be stupid - why is this any different to normal buses on a QBC?

Sensor

There are already two luas lines and one dart in south dublin. Don't understand why one more. They should do this in north instead.

Roll_On

BRT would be great for Dublin I'm of the opinion that we should replace all our QBC's with BRT lines, they just make alot more sense.

biteback

There are already two luas lines and one dart in south dublin. Don't understand why one more. They should do this in north instead.
Hopefully they'll do both! Plus don't forget the Metro will be on the Northside so the *dream solution* would be having BRT routes like this one feeding into the Metro with integrated ticketing and regular services to allow for maximum use. Its all a dream though.

But in terms of this project I wonder would a 46a style route be best, as that is one of the busiest if not the busiest in Dublin. Although progress and Dublin Bus are two words that don't go together. I'm sure unions and management would resist at the idea of improving passenger services.

forest

I like the idea
Do they have the money are they just looking for planning permission
When do they expect it to be built

I like the idea but we cant have 4 different companies providing Public transport in Dublin

All with different ticketing systems
We need an over head looking after publin transport (Like the BVG in Berlin) and a transferable ticket

Goo idea though

New Threads

Most Replies