Proposal: Pay SW monthly, not weekly.

Dame_Enda

Should social welfare be paid once per month, rather than once per week?

This would ease pressure on families struggling with rent, electricity bills, costs of school books etc. It would not increase the costs for taxpayers, but would reduce the risk of low income households going into debt.

It might actually save the taxpayer money as fewer families face eviction from non-payment of rent due to lack of cash-in-hand, meaning they don't go on the housing list.

It would also save taxpayers money staffing social welfare offices.

Fritzbox

This would ease pressure on families struggling with rent, electricity bills, costs of school books etc. It would not increase the costs for taxpayers, but would reduce the risk of low income households going into debt.

It might actually save the taxpayer money as fewer families face eviction from non-payment of rent due to lack of cash-in-hand, meaning they don't go on the housing list.
Ireland (and Britain if I recall) is very unusual in paying out such things as social welfare weekly. Here in Germany they make payments on a monthly basis. I'd say most wages to self-employed and freelancers also get paid monthly.

amist4

Why not annual?

MsDaisyC

Living and budgeting week to week is easier and less stressful than month to month. Sometimes there are 5 pay weeks in a month and when you're used to a 7 day cycle, switching to one that can go from 28 - 31 days won't make it easier on recipients.

sadmal

I get paid by the month and although it works for me a single colleague finds that by week three she is struggling and by week four is living off her credit card. I imagine it would be even worse for someone on social welfare unless there is another income coming in every week or someone is very good at budgeting.

Fritzbox

Living and budgeting week to week is easier and less stressful than month to month. Sometimes there are 5 pay weeks in a month and when you're used to a 7 day cycle, switching to one that can go from 28 - 31 days won't make it easier on recipients.
I doubt if that is true. If you paid your rent on a monthly basis it would probaly make things simpler if you were paid monthly - make it easier to budget.

Dame_Enda

I get paid by the month and although it works for me a single colleague finds that by week three she is struggling and by week four is living off her credit card. I imagine it would be even worse for someone on social welfare unless there is another income coming in every week or someone is very good at budgeting.
Well I have been in the black since last years Xmas bonus, the one week double payment that compensates for no payments on Xmas week, plus the water charge refund. Before then I was always going into the red and getting warning letters from the bank. I've noticed since this problem was resolved, I'm sleeping much better. I think financial worries keep people awake at night.

Also on a course in 2015 the SW payment was officially linked to turning up on the course - but because of that there were no payments in the Summer holiday, so we suddenly got 4 weeks paid in one go which enabled me to pay off the rest of that years management fee.

Fritzbox

She needs to budget, after all, she still has the same income, and the same expenses - whether the they are due weekly or monthly.

D

Deleted member 17573

Would make sense from the Department's point of the view, and the point regarding alignment with bills is also valid. But when one is on a small income there is a real risk of spending the month's money early in the month and literally going hungry for 2 weeks. At least with weekly payments there is only ever a week to wait for the next payday.

Ex celt

Would this have an effect on the sf/ira peace process as its ************************stituency would only have to get out of bed once a month?

Equinox

Which pretty much underlines one of my suspicions that the difference bewtween those that get by and those that 'struggle' is the basic ability to budget and long-term plan.
It's a valuable skill that people need to learn. Spend your money on week one on an Xbox-One, eat beans for dinner in week three and four... but perhaps you might learn something from that?
Perhaps you do that often enough it might encourage more long term thinking in peoples lives and perhaps you encourage more responsible long term strategic thinking in populations that fail, because they lack a strategic skill they were never encouraged to learn.
There's nothing like a littler hunger to teach it and the most important lesson for advancement in life is delayed gratification.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17573

Which pretty much underlines one of my suspicions about those that get by and those that 'struggle', the basic ability to budget. It's a valuable skill that people need to learn. Spend your money on week one on and Xbox-One, eat beans for dinner in week three and four and perhaps you might lean something? Perhaps you might encourage more long term thinking in peoples lives and thus they might learn more responsible long term strategic thinking in populations that fail because they lack that skill/
That's all very well in the case of people on good incomes, but if you're an OAP with nothing but the State pension, it's more about survival than financial planning.

darkhorse

Bit hard to impose a starvation diet on your family for a whole month you might admit?

MsDaisyC

I doubt if that is true. If you paid your rent on a monthly basis it would probaly make things simpler if you were paid monthly - make it easier to budget.
Children's allowance and rent allowance go some way to covering the big monthly payments and post offices facilitate weekly payments off utility bills. Dividing leftover money over days is far preferable than weeks and if something unexpected drops in the second week of the month, knowing you'll get some hard cash next week, rather in 3 will make you less likely to panic and get caught in a moneylender's maw.

Dame_Enda

Bit hard to impose a starvation diet on your family for a whole month you might admit?
Wealthier people tend to be physically healthier, because processed foods are cheaper and therefore consumed more by the welfare and working class, and because the better off can better afford gym memberships. Having more cash on hand will allow parents and householders to eat healthier. This will also save the health service because of fewer obesity-related illnesses.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Wealthier people tend to be physically healthier, because processed foods are cheaper and therefore consumed more by the welfare and working class, and because the better off can better afford gym memberships. Having more cash on hand will allow parents and householders to eat healthier. This will also save the health service because of fewer obesity-related illnesses.
Ah, here. Did you spend your month's payment on drugs?

Fritzbox

Children's allowance and rent allowance go some way to covering the big monthly payments and post offices facilitate weekly payments off utility bills. Dividing leftover money over days is far preferable than weeks and if something unexpected drops in the second week of the month, knowing you'll get some hard cash next week, rather in 3 will make you less likely to panic and get caught in a moneylender's maw.
There should be no need to avail the services of a moneylender. Again, it's just a question of learning to budget over a 30 day period.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies