Proposal: Pay SW monthly, not weekly.

an innocent abroad

Why not Bi-weekly? A lot of people put money off their utilities which leaves them cash poor to pay for food and other needs or extras.

Bi-weekly would enable them to achieve both.

stopdoingstuff

I think weekly is better as it means I will be able to use the dole for the day to day expenses and save my salary from my off-the-books construction job for the big ticket items.

Gin Soaked

That's all very well in the case of people on good incomes, but if you're an OAP with nothing but the State pension, it's more about survival than financial planning.
True. We often run short each month if there are random extra bills (we had two kitchen appliances die one month apart), but we have good jobs and are laid back about it. There is "fat" we can cut back on.

Many people have no such fat in their household finances. A clutch or injector for the car can mean rent arrears.

Monthly paychecks were a shock to the system when they first happened. For years, our paydays were 2 weeks apart, but now they are at the same time but all our bills leave my account 2 weeks later. You have to be careful .

Now, if you are (And by no means am I dumping all unemployed people in this bucket) bad with money and a bit dim and lacking in self control , monthly dole would be a disaster and a boon for loansharks...

Gin Soaked

I think weekly is better as it means I will be able to use the dole for the day to day expenses and save my salary from my off-the-books construction job for the big ticket items.
Actually I know one person who could live on her widows pension and her salary was saved for utility bills and other hefty items. Some people can really live on air..

Sync

Should social welfare be paid once per month, rather than once per week?
Given it's well documented failure in the UK, probably not.

This would ease pressure on families struggling with rent, electricity bills, costs of school books etc. It would not increase the costs for taxpayers, but would reduce the risk of low income households going into debt.
How? Again: Given that you've seen the well documented failure of this in the UK.

It might actually save the taxpayer money as fewer families face eviction from non-payment of rent due to lack of cash-in-hand, meaning they don't go on the housing list.
How?

It would also save taxpayers money staffing social welfare offices.
True.

Guys: If you're smart enough to budget your costs on a monthly basis and arrange your finances in such a manner, it's unlikely you're going to be on social welfare in the first place.

stopdoingstuff

Guys: If you're smart enough to budget your costs on a monthly basis and arrange your finances in such a manner, it's unlikely you're going to be on social welfare in the first place.
I am not sure that this is a fair conclusion to reach about people on social welfare.

Alan Alda

Prejudiced and ignorant much , Sync?

Dame_Enda

How? Again: Given that you've seen the well documented failure of this in the UK.

How?

True.

My understanding of the problem in the UK is that people were waiting six weeks - not one month - and that they were waiting that long for their first payment.

Sync

One of the fundamental problems is that they can't manage money. If you give them a lump sum, they spend the lump sum. Then you're left with people unable settle their bills at the end of the month, which led to landlords not being willing to rent to them.

Alan Alda

One of the fundamental problems is that they can't manage money. If you give them a lump sum, they spend the lump sum. Then you're left with people unable settle their bills at the end of the month, which led to landlords not being willing to rent to them.
Who the hell is they ? You're talking about whole swathes of society !

gijoe

Easier to budget
I'm afraid a certain cohort of recipients will piss it against a wall/inject in a vein in a few days leaving them to prey on State and Charitable services for the bulk of the month. We all know it will happen.

an innocent abroad

How?

True.

Since welfare is reconised as being below the poverty levels, there is not much to play around with, particularly if they are paying off weekly bills, rent, food extras, prescription charges, Vat rates on all bills( which are the same regardless of incomes) a bi- monthly payment would give them much more enough to make decisions, while if any unexpected expense comes up, extra prescription charges, public transport costs to hospitals, extras, etc, at least it would be only 2 weeks rather than a monthly payment. .

Alan Alda

I'm afraid a certain cohort of recipients will piss it against a wall/inject in a vein in a few days leaving them to prey on State and Charitable services for the bulk of the month. We all know it will happen.
Maybe. Some might splash out on a course or a printer or some business cards.
Different strokes for different folks.

Dame_Enda

I think you mean the banks.

gijoe

Walking around money so to speak........FF are very familiar with that concept.......

offalypat

I get paid by the month and although it works for me a single colleague finds that by week three she is struggling and by week four is living off her credit card. I imagine it would be even worse for someone on social welfare unless there is another income coming in every week or someone is very good at budgeting.
would they start off by paying a month in advance.

randomwalk

I always remember in college when studying the Permanent Income Hypothesis my lecturer cited a paper cited a paper which found a relationship between mortality rates and the receipt of income, with the rise of mortality rates after being paid (from as varied of causes as crashing a new car to drugs and drink) being used as an argument against the PIH.
A bit random, but I could see it being used to argue against this through the above.

Gin Soaked

I am not sure that this is a fair conclusion to reach about people on social welfare.
No, its not. But there would be a big cohort of unemployable people who could not manage a budget. So having two systems would be an admin nightmare.

New Threads

Most Replies