Proposal to have Traveller history and culture taught in schools

Pizza Man

OrderoftheDragon

Thieving and dumping, sure it could just as much apply to the settled population too......

midlander12

Halfcock will be ecstatic!

"Independent Senator Collette Kelleher has proposed that legislation be introduced which would make it mandatory to teach Traveller history and culture in primary and post-primary school."

https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2018/0703/976103-traveller-history-culture/

Another good reason for the Senate to be abolished?
How long were they intending the classes to last - 5 minutes a year? I mean they'd have to exclude all references to criminality, violence, arranged marriage and misogyny. What would be left?

Hitchcock

Hard to see why anyone would oppose this except of course those who enjoy thriving on bigotry and hatred and thus fear education as a way of breaking down divisions between the settled and travelling community.

Given an absence from or a haphazard participation in education is something many of the anti traveller posters here throw at the travelling community and that this might encourage more travelers into education, I'm sure they'll all welcome it!

Erudite Caveman

There are all sorts of things our kids need to be taught, but learning about traveller history can't be in the top 500.

Lagertha

So only 9% of Travelers bothered to finish secondary school and the way to tackle that is to beat the settled community with a big stick of fairy dust to try to hide the fact that Traveler ''culture'' is, always has been and always will be nothing more than criminality, domestic violence and animal cruelty. Yeah, lets celebrate the fook out of that. :roll:

OrderoftheDragon

Hard to see why anyone would oppose this except of course those who enjoy thriving on bigotry and hatred and thus fear education as a way of breaking down divisions between the settled and travelling community.

Given an absence from or a haphazard participation in education is something many of the anti traveller posters here throw at the travelling community and that this might encourage more travelers into education, I'm sure they'll all welcome it!
When do we get to rural crime and robbing old people in their houses ? Would you like to do it at the start so the kids might forget or at the end after the kids have been told how good the travellers are...........

cricket

"Independent Senator Collette Kelleher has proposed that legislation be introduced which would make it mandatory to teach Traveller history and culture in primary and post-primary school."

I think this could turn into one of those "it seemed like a good idea at the time" proposals.

Such is the bad pr that the travelers have due to the actions of a minority amongst them, you could end up with the entire community being tarred with the same brush in the discussion that would go with any class on their history and culture.

Hitchcock

So only 9% of Travelers bothered to finish secondary school and the way to tackle that is to beat the settled community with a big stick of fairy dust to try to hide the fact that Traveler ''culture'' is, always has been and always will be nothing more than criminality, domestic violence and animal cruelty. Yeah, lets celebrate the fook out of that. :roll:
No details of programme released yet Lagertha knows what will be taught, or maybe she's just making it up as she has form for lying...

Hitchcock just sent me 2 private messages to inform me that he has reported me for name calling on this thread.

sgtharper

I really can't help thinking that this woman has her priorities wrong, to put it politely.

Surely she should be more concerned about the lack of educational achievement and engagement within the traveller community, than the lack of knowledge about their "culture and history" in the wider community, something I think could probably be dealt with in a about two hours in the last few days before the summer holidays.

I think it's pretty obvious what's more likely to benefit them more in the long-term.

Hitchcock

When do we get to rural crime and robbing old people in their houses ? Would you like to do it at the start so the kids might forget or at the end after the kids have been told how good the travellers are...........
Could you not have suspended being a dickhe@d just once and posted something constructive? I suppose we can ask teachers in Dublin inner city how they deal with the Hutch, Kinahans and the rest or the Dundons in Limerick etc...

Hitchcock

I really can't help thinking that this woman has her priorities wrong, to put it politely.

Surely she should be more concerned about the lack of educational achievement and engagement within the traveller community, than the lack of knowledge about their "culture and history" in the wider community, something I think could probably be dealt with in a about two hours in the last few days before the summer holidays.

I think it'spretty obvious what's more likely to benefit them more in the long-term.
You started so but you couldn't help yourself, ah well!

seanof

They can attempt to indoctrinate kids to their hearts' content. Real life experience teaches everyone all they need to know about Traveller Culture.

Pizza Man

Told ye! petunia

Hitchcock

They can attempt to indoctrinate kids to their hearts' content. Real life experience teaches everyone all they need to know about Traveller Culture.
Children learn bigotry, racism and discrimination generally from parents.

Popular Threads

Most Replies