Protect a national treasure, enshrine Frances Fitzgerald in the Constitution

Prof Honeydew

There's only one way out of the current impasse. Frances Fitzgerald is so important to Ireland that her position must be taken out of the party political arena so as to remove any threat to her office. A simple amendment to Bunreacht na hÉireann such as "The special position of Frances Fitzgerald shall not be challenged" would protect her from gratuitous attack by any politician, jealous party colleague, journalist, the Supreme Court, ungrateful Garda sergeant, ambulance-chasing lawyer, publicity-starved celebrity or indeed any carping citizen.

Fully aware of her monumental service to the people of Ireland in combating entitlement and misguided expectations of fulfilling ministerial responsibility, the electorate would overwhelmingly reward any politician farsighted enough to propose such a constitutional ameendment.

If no one else is willing, I would consider taking up the challenge myself as long as I received sufficient contributions to my crowdfunding appeal. Perhaps P.ie might organise a brown envelope campaign to get the ball rolling. Please reply if you're willing to lend your support.

Last edited:

Analyzer

Maybe include an amendment enshrining a special preference in state policy for the mefia oligarch whose media organs have been pushing soft treatment of her incompetence as well.

Florence

Professor Honeydew, I absolutely agree with your insightful post.

But shouldn't we also constitutionally protect some of our other wonderful women politicians like Regina Doherty and Mary Mitchell O'Connor?

We need more women in politics; only then will things change......

Well in theory they will change but for the better? I have my doubts.

*EPIC SUCCESS*

Frances Fitzgerald enjoys 100% support from Frances Fitzgerald, 71%* of the time.

You cannot argue with Figures like that.

I'm like to second the motion in the OP.

(* I believe her personal support wavers during sleeping hours and no statistics are currently available bar the occasional mild snore or muttering.)

*EPIC SUCCESS*

Maybe include an amendment enshrining a special preference in state policy for the mefia oligarch whose media organs have been pushing soft treatment of her incompetence as well.
Ooh, I say!

Durty Dinny's media organs! Pushing soft treatment......

Definitely a lot of 'organs' in Newstalk, D'Innydo and Today FM (among others).

Analyzer

Frances Fitzgerald enjoys 100% support from Frances Fitzgerald, 71%* of the time.

You cannot argue with Figures like that.

I'm like to second the motion in the OP.

(* I believe her personal support wavers during sleeping hours and no statistics are currently available bar the occasional mild snore or muttering.)
Have you got a 'read receipt' for that ?

redneck

I predict she will struggle to hold her seat in Dublin mid West.

New Threads

Most Replies