• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Protectionist luddites balk at the coming automation

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
The instance I choose to highlight is about the Luas, but has much wider applicability

Bad incumbents will fight with every tool at their disposal to prevent innovation

In automation expect emotive concepts like "unsafe", "obnoxious" and "immoral" to be bandied about more

Councillor's unique solution to Luas strike crisis sparks outrage - Independent.ie
A Dublin councillor has sparked fury by suggesting Luas trams should drive themselves in the future.
Councillor Michael O'Brien of the Anti-Austerity Alliance described the motion as "obnoxious" and called on other members to vote against it.
Luas trams are especially ripe for automation, but political factors will conspire to prevent this for some time...the above Trot propaganda is only a taster of the pernicious hyperbole to come, which will seek to protect "jobs for the boys"

Cyp

GDPR

The instance I choose to highlight is about the Luas, but has much wider applicability

Bad incumbents will fight with every tool at their disposal to prevent innovation

In automation expect emotive concepts like "unsafe", "obnoxious" and "immoral" to be bandied about more

Councillor's unique solution to Luas strike crisis sparks outrage - Independent.ie

Luas trams are especially ripe for automation, but political factors will conspire to prevent this for some time...the above Trot propaganda is only a taster of the pernicious hyperbole to come, which will seek to protect "jobs for the boys"

Cyp
Protectionism is needed for a backward third world economy like Ireland's, which makes its money at present by renting out its space for money laundering and other shady operations. We cannot build up an industrial production base without protectionism. Protectionism, of course, includes protecting the Irish worker from the flood of cheap labour being dumped on Ireland by EU policy.

Analyzer

I have travelled on an automated tram before and I think they are an excellent idea.

I also think competition would be a good idea in the areas served by the luas.

I can pick whatever shop I like. Why not the same with buses or forms of transport ?

daveL

Was it explained what exactly was obnoxious about automated trams?

GDPR

I have travelled on an automated tram before and I think they are an excellent idea.

I also think competition would be a good idea in the areas served by the luas.

I can pick whatever shop I like. Why not the same with buses or forms of transport ?
But why do we need automated trams when so many of our youth are unemployed?

Ruadh

But why do we need automated trams when so many of our youth are unemployed?
Our youth have unrealistic expectations when it comes to working. Ideas like a decent wage, the right to have fixed hours etc.

Zero hour style work, job bridge. It's all part if the dynamic new work environment. Automation will just be the next round.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Was it explained what exactly was obnoxious about automated trams?
Yes. He said that calling for automated trams, as a means to break a strike, was obnoxious. The Gaeler was unapologetic about that being the reason, and the AAA chap said that was obnoxious.

The Gaeler wasn't calling for it because it made sense technologically or on a cost basis...it was purely to remove the threat of strike.

Not surprising from some Gaelers

Ruadh

Yes. He said that calling for automated trams, as a means to break a strike, was obnoxious. The Gaeler was unapologetic about that being the reason, and the AAA chap said that was obnoxious.

The Gaeler wasn't calling for it because it made sense technologically or on a cost basis...it was purely to remove the threat of strike.

Not surprising from some Gaelers
It was not mentioned in the OP that it was a blue sh!t but it didn't need to be did it.

Why is it obnoxious? Because the mind that producesd the idea will be the same mind that will come out with every idea to break strikes but will speak up to tackle inequality or sharp business practices.

Another Tory boy.

D

Deleted member 17573

The bottom 99% simply have not kept up, too many lazy, cowardly wallies...who think they are entitled, shakedown style, to handouts

Automate the plebetariat, and either put them into a fenced off Kerry, or one of these https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Experience_machine

Cyp
Increased automation is to be welcomed if it relieves us of the tedium of performing mundane tasks if, and only if, we come up with an alternative model to paid employment as a means of wealth distribution (i.e. providing the wherewithal to feed the family). And the argument that other, perhaps high tech jobs will absorb those made unemployed is unproven and probably flawed. But as of now all I see happening is the generation of higher dividends for investors and hikes in the remuneration of senior management.
And until this new model of wealth distribution emerges employees are absolutely right to fight for their jobs and should not be described as Luddites.

ShinnerBot No.32564844524

The bottom 99% simply have not kept up, too many lazy, cowardly wallies...who think they are entitled, shakedown style, to handouts

Automate the plebetariat, and either put them into a fenced off Kerry, or one of these https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Experience_machine

Cyp
You are the bottom 99%, you will die along with us when some randian megalomaniac decides it's time to cull "The bottom 99% simply have not kept up, too many lazy, cowardly wallies...who think they are entitled, shakedown style, to handouts
" and release an easily manufactured influenza virus, your very thinking in itself is a litteral meme disease.

Polly Ticks

The Luas is an excellent candidate for automation... the tracks make a huge difference, despite the cluttered city environment.

However, we need at least two things in place to deal with the human labour displacement/replacement that automation is going to bring:

1) in the short-term, employment legislation that requires employers to provide training for workers made redundant by robotics so that they can perform diff tasks within the company.. or find employment elsewhere

2) in the longer term, we need to look at universal social payments

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
You are the bottom 99%, you will die along with us when some randian megalomaniac decides it's time to cull "The bottom 99% simply have not kept up, too many lazy, cowardly wallies...who think they are entitled, shakedown style, to handouts
" and release an easily manufactured influenza virus, your very thinking in itself is a litteral meme disease.
There are too many lazy, get rich quick scoundrels in the plebetariat...they'll continue to elect Aherns, Trumps and worse

They had their chance, the top 1% has tired of these cowardly brigands, and automation reduces our reliance on them...they'll be farmed humanely in Kerry, and will have better lives than at present

Cyp

ShinnerBot No.32564844524

There are too many lazy, get rich quick scoundrels in the plebetariat...they'll continue to elect Aherns, Trumps and worse

They had their chance, the top 1% has tired of these cowardly brigands, and automation reduces our reliance on them...they'll be farmed humanely in Kerry, and will have better lives than at present

Cyp
Oh don't worry, I'm sure you'll thrive with your new cellmate in Kerry no doubt ;)

Notachipanoaktree

Cyp
Shi*t stirrer wanted. Must be accredited (MSc or Higher if Irish, Primary School all others) in the ancient art of mud slinging, plus have proven ability in the higher arts of BS and starting a row in a monastery. I'm all over that one Cyp. How bout you, u in?

Notachipanoaktree

Cyp
If, as you say, THEY were gone, then you would be bottom of the pile. If you think it's got anything to with it, other then being bottom of the pile. Then BOY, you are in for a rude awakening.

Socratus O' Pericles

C' mon now dude, you aren't one of the loonies, don't be pretending.petunia

Unless of course the obvious answer is all public transport be deregulated and/or privatised.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
If, as you say, THEY were gone, then you would be bottom of the pile. If you think it's got anything to with it, other then being bottom of the pile. Then BOY, you are in for a rude awakening.
The bottom 99% are full of lazy whiners...and as the are cowards to boot...putting them into a farm will prove easy

The 1% could humor them with safari style visits, obviously the 99% would have to be sterilized, as they wouldn't be fit to raise kids

Cyp

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies