• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Protestant abuse victims must also be heard

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
OPINION: Victims of Protestant prejudice and State neglect are at a disadvantage, writes DEREK LEINSTER. You don't have to be a Catholic to be listened to as a victim of institutional abuse, but it seems to help. That is my experience as a Protestant victim of institutional neglect. Like all sufferers, I am a victim of prejudice.

Protestant abuse victims must also be heard Irish Time July 1 2009

Background
Derek Leinster is a 67-year-old former boxer, who was born in Drumconrath, Co Meath in 1941 and now lives in Rugby, in the West Midlands of England has been campaigning for the last number of years to be compensated for the physical abuse and neglect he suffered while in the care of Church of Ireland institutions. Mr Leinster was born out of wedlock to 16- year-old Hannah and when his father, a member of the Church of Ireland and a wellto-do businessman, would have nothing to do with him he was sent to the Bethany House, Dublin – an orphanage run by the Church of Ireland.

After more than three years in the institution he was, with his head covered in pus and blood, sent to a foster home arranged by Church of Ireland officials. However he believes that he, like many others who were in the care of Church of Ireland institutions, should be entitled to compensation in the same way as those in the care of Catholic institutions have been compensated. It was never talked about or brought up, the abuse that I suffered, because people just thought that it didn't happen to people like me, people whose religion was Church of Ireland, Mr Leinster said. I was sent to the Bethany Home in Dublin but had I been born into a Catholic home then I would have suffered the same fate. That is one reason why I wanted to talk about this but the other reason was to shine a light on these dark corners which have normally been protected and where people have been allowed to suffer in darkness.

I do not want that to happen again, anywhere.

Although he has always wanted people to know about the abuse and neglect that he suffered as an unwanted child, Mr Leinster has become convinced that he should be entitled to the same type of compensation as those who were compensated in the Republic in 2002, regardless of the fact the he is a member of the Church of Ireland. I am obviously on a very serious campaign to make the Irish government aware that they ought to treat all of the citizens the same and under the constitution I was entitled to that, he said.

I should be treated equally irrespective of what religion I am. He feels there are many others in a similar position to him and he believes he has uncovered evidence proving the level of abuse and neglect that existed in orphanages like the one he lived in. I have now got records from 1934 to 1968 that would make your hair blow off, he said. To read the contents of these documents you would have to take sedatives to get you ready for them. To believe that this happened from 1934 onwards is remarkable.

It wasn't what people did to these children that was wrong. Rather it was what they didn't do for the children that was so wrong. The Irish government and the Church of Ireland watched and allowed this to happen. There were 14 children dying a month [in orphanages] during these times, there were children coming through the doors and dying within weeks.

Although now 67 and living happily in England with several grandchildren, Mr Leinster believes he has made great progress in getting his story heard. He believes that publishing his book has pushed his story forward and that soon he may win his fight to have justice for the abuse and neglect he suffered in childhood. You see, they have compensated Catholics for things that happened in the 1930s and so I am entitled to the same facility. In the 1940s and 1950s the situation wasn't any better, he said. Mr Leinster has taken the evidence he uncovered to a solicitor in Dublin. The solicitor believes now that because of the documents that I have uncovered that they were saying did not exist then they will have to bite the bullet, he said.

My book has helped me get to places in government where I would not have been able to get to before. Before, if you sent letters to civil servants, you would never hear anything back but now because people are talking about the book on the internet and so on then government people are starting to listen.

Nodin

Indeed they should. It should be noted that protestant schools were not granted indemnity, for some reason...

Aindriu

All religious congregations that committed abuse should be examined and pay compensation to their victims. They were all as bad as each other.

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
Indeed they should. It should be noted that protestant schools were not granted indemnity, for some reason...
All religious congregations that committed abuse should be examined and pay compensation to their victims. They were all as bad as each other.
I even heard a Government Minister imply that the indemnity deal wasn't a cosy relationship between the Roman Catholic Church and State - this deal excludes people of one religion!

Derek has uncovered a hundred and one documents that proves beyond doubt that the Irish Government did indeed have inspections of the Bethany Home and that they knew at government level of the grotesque care that these children were subjected to.

Derek has been on this road for a few years now:
Anyone who believes in justice and humanity cannot walk by on the other side of the road and not help the minority of unwanted survivors from the non-catholic side, please help.Source

Mr Boxing

Regardless of race or religion all abuse victims must be heard. The abusers must pay for their crimes one way or another.

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
No Redress Board for Protestant victims of Institutional Abuse

Those who claimed to know better than the rest should have done better. They are to blame. The Irish State I do not forgive. The Irish people deserve better.
We victims of Protestant prejudice and State neglect are at a disadvantage because we were scattered to the four winds, disconnected from each other and forgotten about.
Irish Protestants are people too - and they too were abused by institutions under the control of Protestant organisations. This is not a Catholic thing or a Protestant thing. It is a product of sectarianism, a form of sectarianism regulated by the Irish state and by powerful forces in Irish society.

lapsedmethodist

Apologies for posting another thread on this; I looked but didn't find this one.

The point I made was that this tends to throw the blame back fairly and squarely on the state. Before this there has been a tendency to regard the abuse as some kind of "dark night of the catholic soul " . This confirms that the state turned its back on the weakest in society, and they seem to have allowed the church(es) to take the blame.

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
Apologies for posting another thread on this; I looked but didn't find this one.

The point I made was that this tends to throw the blame back fairly and squarely on the state. Before this there has been a tendency to regard the abuse as some kind of "dark night of the catholic soul " . This confirms that the state turned its back on the weakest in society, and they seem to have allowed the church(es) to take the blame.
The State had an inspection system for the Institutions and if that system had been fully used many of the abuses wouldn't have occurred or would have been lessened - the brutal physical punishments, inadequate diets, abysmal education, over-use of the children in labour - these were all known about but ignored by the Dept. of Education. The Government worked hand in glove with the Religious Orders to keep us out of sight of the public gaze.

And how the State can continue to turn its back on Derek and others like him is beyond me.

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
Redress ruling to be appealed

An elderly man who sought redress for alleged abuse suffered at an industrial school some 40 years ago and who lost a High Court challenge to a refusal by the redress board to accept his application for compensation, is to appeal that ruling to the Supreme Court.

The case is for mention in the High Court today.

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
The unmarked graves of 40 children from a Protestant residential institution have been discovered in a Dublin cemetery. They contain the bodies of former residents of the Bethany Home in Rathgar, and date from 75 years ago. A group of survivors, who say they suffered gross neglect there, are demanding access to the State's redress scheme which applies to similar institutions. On average, two died each month out of a floating population of 19 babies. Researcher Niall Meehan has also established the names of all 40 babies in and around two adjoining common graves.

Derek Leinster, who spent his first four years in Bethany, will convene the home's first survivors' group there next Wednesday.

Source

smithsligo

The Irish Times - Tuesday, May 25, 2010
Graves of Bethany children

Madam, – Justice for Magdalenes – a survivor advocacy group – supports Derek Leinster and Niall Meehan in their demands for a full investigation surrounding the circumstances in which 40 children, resident at the Bethany Home, came to be buried at Mount Jerome Cemetery in Dublin (Home News, May 22nd). The State had a constitutional obligation to protect all children, to supply the place of the parents, to ensure a minimum education. The fact that these children died in an institution, “outside the home,” should be fully examined and all records made available.

Ireland has been confronted with the spectre of a mass grave related to institutional “care” before – the exhumation, cremation and re-internment of 155 former Magdelene women from the High Park, Drumcondra institution in 1992 still needs a full investigation: an additional 22 bodies were discovered, death certificates were missing although they were legally required since the 19th century, names on the exhumation licence and on the subsequent headstone at Glasnevin cemetery do not correlate. These questions remain unanswered!

Similar questions must now be asked about the children buried at Mount Jerome cemetery: how did these children die, do death certificates exist for each child, were family members informed? Answers to these questions will enable an appropriate memorial stone with accurate information.

The Bethany Home, like the Magdalene Laundries, is not considered a State residential institution. Therefore, it was not included on Schedule 1 (a) of the Residential Institutional Redress Act, 2002. Consequently, survivors of the Bethany Home, like survivors of the Magdalene homes, are deemed ineligible for redress under the current scheme. Like the Magdalenes, the State deems the Bethany Home a “private and charitable” institution that was not licensed or managed by the State. And yet, the courts referred women to the Bethany Home upon giving them a suspended sentence for certain crimes; they also placed women “on probation” and, in all likelihood, placed women “on remand.”

In this sense, the Bethany fulfilled the function of the Catholic Magdalene Laundries for women from the Protestant faiths. The State always relied on its existence and availability to deal with so-called “problem women”. In researching my book on the laundries, I discovered four cases at the Central Criminal Court, between 1929 and 1945, whereby Protestant women found guilty of “concealment of a birth” were referred to the Bethany Home for periods of up to three years.

Can the Department of Justice demonstrate conclusively what became of each of these women?

– Yours, etc,

smithsligo

Posted on behalf of Derek Leinster

Launch of Bethany Survivors Group
at burial site of children from Bethany Home

12 Noon Wednesday 26th May

Assemble at entrance to Yew Walk (see ATTACHED photo)
Directions after entry to Mount Jerome Cemetery, Harold's Cross Dublin:
Walk up main avenue to church, go right around church and proceed straight on East Walk to roundabout. Yew Walk is tree lined avenue to right. Stop there if arrive before 12 noon. If you arrive after, proceed down Yew Walk, stop when you meet a crowd.

Agenda:

1. Niall Meehan will welcome the assembled group.

2. Patrick Anderson McQuoid will read a poem he has written for the occasion (ATTACHED) and will then proceed to read the names of 40 children buried in the cemetery, 33 of them at that place, seven in other parts of the cemetery. He will call on the Irish government to aid in the task of discovery of burial sites of other children. He will ask the Church of Ireland, the Presbyterian, Methodist and Baptist churches release resources to enable PACT, who hold the records of the Bethany Home, to aid in this work.

3. Derek Leinster will announce the formation of the Bethany Home Survivors Group. He will indicate the main aims, that will include placing the Bethany Home within the Irish Government's redress scheme and the creation of a fitting and appropriate memorial to children who did not survive, who are buried in Mount Jerome Cemetery.

4. Patrick and Derek will place memorial cards and small children's toys on the ground where the children are buried.

Conclusion

DEREK LEINSTER – 087 0940085
PATRICK ANDERSON-McQUOID - landline - 071 9640980, Mobile 086 3486261
Niall Meehan 087 6428671

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
Fresh evidence has been uncovered of neglect at a Protestant-run institution in Dublin. Research has found that one child died every three weeks at the Bethany Home in Rathgar from 1935 to 1940. Source

A Survivors' representative has written to the Taoiseach that this gives the lie to the Department of Education's claim that children were in the home in a voluntary capacity and therefore do not qualify for payments under the Residential Institutions Redress Scheme. Survivors say the disclosure strengthens their case to be compensated under the State's Redress Scheme.

A group has called on the Government to include former residents of a Protestant-run home in the redress scheme for victims of abuse. The Bethany House Survivors Group represents people who attended two Bethany Homes in Dublin between 1921 and 1972. The group was announced in May 2010 following the discovery of over 40 unmarked graves of children at Mount Jerome Cemetery in Harold’s Cross, Dublin.
The children had resided in Bethany Home, a residential institution which operated in Blackhall Place, Dublin, from 1921-1934 and in Orwell Road, Rathgar, until it closed in 1972.

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49

Survivors of Bethany House hold a ceremony to remember the forgotten
babies and set up a support group for survivors from around the world.

Bethany House was a detention home for women convicted of petty theft, prostitution, infanticide and birth concealment. It was run by evangelical members of the Church of Ireland, though it was not connect to the Church itself. From 1921 to 1934 it was located in Blackhall Place, Dublin. It then moved to Orwell Road, Rathgar where it was closed in 1972. In attendance at the ceremony were Senator David Norris and Labour equality spokeswoman, Kathleen Lynch.

captainwillard

The abuse industry had its place in the sun for a while. At marches, grown men were photographed crying and being comforted by women.

We even had a lad who had claimed army deafness, jump on the abuse bandwagon and get applauded on the late late show as he divulged a litany of alleged abuse. I think he got compo too.

Well, now it is over, thank goodness and we have far more pressing concerns like Anglo Irish and the state of the economy.

You got your money and recognition. I guess some people become intoxicated by their proximity to the media.

darkknight

More Bethany graves found

Griffith College lecturer Niall Meehan, who discovered 40 unmarked Bethany Home graves at Mount Jerome cemetery at Harold's Cross earlier this year, has uncovered a further 179 graves that date from between 1922 and 1949.

The Bethany Home was run by evangelical members of the Church of Ireland but had no formal connection with that church. It operated at Blackhall Place in Dublin from 1921-34 and at Orwell Road, Rathgar, until it closed in 1972.

It was also a place of detention for women convicted of petty theft, prostitution, infanticide and birth concealment. In 1935-36 the home was required to register child mortality, under the Maternity Act of 1934.

According to Mr Meehan, who has published details of his discovery in the latest issue of History Ireland , 54 of those children whose bodies have been found, died from convulsions, while a further 41 died from heart failure and 26 from marasmus, a form of malnutrition. Nineteen were still-born.

The research indicates that nearly two-thirds of all the children's deaths occurred between 1935 and 1944.

Mr Meehan discovered that 1936 saw the highest number of mortalities at Bethany with 29 deaths that year, six of whom were buried the day they died.

Even by the standard of previous revelations about Catholic-run institutions, this is extremely shocking.

What kids must have suffered in hell-holes like this is unimaginable.

While I believe those responsible for the abuse and cover-ups in Catholic-run instituions fully deserve the opprobrium heaped on them by media reports and public reaction, I find the failure to devote equal attention to institutions like Bethany, or, indeed, the more recent deaths of young people in HSE 'care', quite disturbing.

p.s. Why is an important topic like this hidden away in the 'Chat' section?

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
More Bethany graves found

Even by the standard of previous revelations about Catholic-run institutions, this is extremely shocking.

What kids must have suffered in hell-holes like this is unimaginable.

While I believe those responsible for the abuse and cover-ups in Catholic-run instituions fully deserve the opprobrium heaped on them by media reports and public reaction, I find the failure to devote equal attention to institutions like Bethany, or, indeed, the more recent deaths of young people in HSE 'care', quite disturbing.

p.s. Why is an important topic like this hidden away in the 'Chat' section?
The Church of Ireland are attempting to distance themselves from the horror ..... that can't be allowed to succeed. Post-Ryan Diarmuid Martin and Sean Brady rushed to Rome to distance the Irish hierarchy from the Religious Orders ... and they've succeeded so far.

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
The abuse industry had its place in the sun for a while. At marches, grown men were photographed crying and being comforted by women.

We even had a lad who had claimed army deafness, jump on the abuse bandwagon and get applauded on the late late show as he divulged a litany of alleged abuse. I think he got compo too.

Well, now it is over, thank goodness and we have far more pressing concerns like Anglo Irish and the state of the economy.

You got your money and recognition. I guess some people become intoxicated by their proximity to the media.
Why don't grab a shovel and head over to the Bethany Home in Rathgar ... a good digging would do you the world of good. I can give , if you have a want in you, you a really good shovel which has been in my family since 1922. I only had to change the blade of it 3 times and the handle 5 times.

Cruimh

I'm disappointed in you.

Disgusting post.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies