• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Protestant Population in Donegal (map)

Casualbets

I was well aware of the Protestant concentration between Letterkenny and Lifford, and somewhat aware of there being a sizeable community in the south (due to the Rossnowlagh Orange march), but I was surprised to see a healthy Protestant population in the Milford EA.

Looking at the tallies it would seem that the Fine Gael is slightly higher in those areas with 20%+ Protestant population, Sinn Fein slightly lower, and Fianna Fail about the same. Whether this is due to Protestant political proclivities is of course debatable.

Also, it was impossible to use the census data to distinguish between COI and Presbyterians - is either group predominantly based in a particular area and would they have distinguishably different political leanings at either local (council) level or in national elections?

Last edited:

Sidewinder

but I was surprised to see a healthy Protestant population in the Milford EA
Why? There's loads of Prods in Fanad, especially in Milford but also all around Ramelton, Rathmullan and Portsalon. Just cos it's Blaney Country doesn't mean it's a Prod-free zone. An ancestor of mine was a Presbyterian preacher in Ramelton, about 100 years ago, apparently.

Casualbets

Why? There's loads of Prods in Fanad, especially in Milford but also all around Ramelton, Rathmullan and Portsalon. Just cos it's Blaney Country doesn't mean it's a Prod-free zone. An ancestor of mine was a Presbyterian preacher in Ramelton, about 100 years ago, apparently.
Simply because I didn't realise they were there... Would many (or any) of them have voted for the Blaneys?

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
The other thing is, hopefully without sounding bigoted or anything, which I'm not, but there's prods and then there's prods. With very little in common.

Also what about us atheists? Do we outnumber the prods yet? It's only a matter of time!

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Are you using GIS software there? If so which one?
I used to work in that area. Loved it.

Casualbets

The other thing is, hopefully without sounding bigoted or anything, which I'm not, but there's prods and then there's prods. With very little in common.

Also what about us atheists? Do we outnumber the prods yet? It's only a matter of time!
Well, I don't know about atheists, but me and my candidate are going to be targetting the hitherto-untapped satanist vote.

Sidewinder

Simply because I didn't realise they were there... Would many (or any) of them have voted for the Blaneys?
The working class Prods, some of them yeah. The Big House/old money prods, mostly FG. Same as everywhere really.

MartinP

I think a couple of the DEDs in that map might have a Protestant majority.

Re: Milford - there's a Protestant Donegal County Councillor from Ramelton in the Milford EA.

Casualbets

No, I don't think so, Figart is the highest at around 40%. Which party is the councillor from Ramelton in?

polito123

Ian McGarvey is a protestant but is married to a Catholic.

In the Milford area, Blaney has a substantial Protestant vote, this has to do with the work of Neil T in the area.

Donegal does have a big Protestant vote, Ramelton, Kilmacrennan and Fanad would the biggest. There's areas like Portlean which would be 80% Protestant.

Casualbets

Ian McGarvey is a protestant but is married to a Catholic.

In the Milford area, Blaney has a substantial Protestant vote, this has to do with the work of Neil T in the area.

Donegal does have a big Protestant vote, Ramelton, Kilmacrennan and Fanad would the biggest. There's areas like Portlean which would be 80% Protestant.
I was referring to DEDS. There could be well be villages within DEDs which have protestant majorities. Which DED is portleen in?

MartinP

No, I don't think so, Figart is the highest at around 40%. Which party is the councillor from Ramelton in?
He's independent. There are a number of areas in South Inishowen and East Donegal that have sizeable Protestant populations. I figured it likely that one or two DEDs in the areas I refer to (places like Convoy, Raphoe, Carrigans, etc.) might have a majority, but you might well be right.

polito123

I was referring to DEDS. There could be well be villages within DEDs which have protestant majorities. Which DED is portleen in?
It's in the Kilmacrennan DED...

drbob1972

i fail to see the point of this ? what does it matter their religion ? why continue to focus on people by religion ?

ZANU-FF

Pathetic

Catholic ? Protestant ? You are a Dinosaur

Are you for real, or perhaps you are so mad that you think you are Irelands answer to Karl Rove.

Have you ever been outside Ireland?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies