"Protestant soccer fans'' targeted in new law, says David McNarry

Scipio

It'd be interesting to get some Northern reaction on this.

Is the Justice minister about to pass a law attacking "Protestant working class males" (Catholics don't play soccer in large numbers it would seem), or is McNarry engaging in nothing more than a bit of old fashioned publicity seeking?

Ulster Unionist David McNarry complained that the new penalties would effectively target soccer, and not rugby or gaelic games, and risked singling out fans of Irish league and Northern Ireland international football.

The Department of Justice said the new laws would extend to all major sporting events, but the Strangford MLA cited research that he said suggested "Protestant working class males" could be unfairly affected.

Mr McNarry said: "With all the superb efforts made by all sports to tidy-up and remove images which no one can be proud of or find acceptable - I find the pitch of the legislation against soccer offensive in itself, and I believe that as soccer is the sport being picked-on unfairly, it deserves to be given a better press or presentation than it is in this proposed legislation."
Protestant soccer fans 'targeted' - Northern Ireland, Local & National - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Last edited:

picador

It'd be interesting to get some Northern reaction on this.

Is the Justice minister about to pass a law attacking "Protestant working class males" (Catholics don't play soccer in large numbers it would seem), or is McNarry engaging in nothing more than a bit of old fashioned publicity seeking?

Protestant soccer fans 'targeted' - Northern Ireland, Local & National - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk
There has been a hooliganism problem among sections of support at some IFA Premier League clubs of late - Coleraine, Ballymena, Linfeld, Glentoran. Most of these clubs happen to have predominantly working-class unionist support.

There has been no similar outbreak of (organised) hooliganism among GAA supporters or rugby supporters - as elsewhere hooliganism seems to be a football problem.

There is an Assembly election next May. The son of the ashamed one is playing the sectarian card.

Molly Maguire

Website
www.slotpb.com
Can only think McNarry is playing the Super Prod considering the best supported team in the Irish League only get 1500 for an average home game

The quicker that form of unionism dies out the better.

Lee McKeown

There has been a hooliganism problem among sections of support at some IFA Premier League clubs of late - Coleraine, Ballymena, Linfeld, Glentoran.
What complete nonsense.

There has been no similar outbreak of (organised) hooliganism among GAA supporters or rugby supporters - as elsewhere hooliganism seems to be a football problem.
GAA fans don't need to when they get enough of it on the pitch:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m7Pgb8lOtE]YouTube - Famous GAA Brawl : Moorefield Kildare vs Dromard Longford : Gaelic Football and Hurling : Ireland[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0HGrPAAM_w&feature=related]YouTube - Huge Brawl ![/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si3WgucSiNY&feature=fvw]YouTube - 2009 Laois v Galway : The Row[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmcXi00ckr0&feature=related]YouTube - hurling supporter attacks referee (VIDEO NOT SIDEWAYS)[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWJCN_3PN1k&feature=related]YouTube - All-Ireland Fight[/ame]

Animals

picador

What complete nonsense.

GAA fans don't need to when they get enough of it on the pitch:
As the legislation also applies to GAA and there is, according to you at any rate, so much violence in GAA circles then it should follow that Mr McNarry's comments are ill-founded - it will be culchie bog-football types who are disproportionately affected. Surely nothing for loyal Ulstermen to worry about!

The public deserve protection from thugs who start crowd trouble at sporting events - whatever sport they follow, whatever religion they adhere to. Thuggery on the pitch is a matter for the relevant sporting body.

Lee McKeown

As the legislation also applies to GAA and there is, according to you at any rate, so much violence in GAA circles then it should follow that Mr McNarry's comments are ill-founded - it will be culchie bog-football types who are disproportionately affected. Surely nothing for loyal Ulstermen to worry about!
Yes I can just picture gaelic fans rushing to ring the PSNI on their mobiles if a brawl ever erupts at a GAA match.... :roll:

st333ve

Brilliant.

Don't ever watch boxing, ice hockey or any other sport where things get a bit rough, obviously such a sight must give you nightmares or something.

I love the GAA, can't beat the odd scrap for a bit of entertainment.
It's a contact sport, it gets rough by nature.
People pretend they are totally disgusted by such things but in reality people just laugh when there's a few punches thrown.
You must be really shocked by me claiming this, no doubt your phoning the doctor right now to get some pills to help you recover from such a barbaric comment!

A running shoulder tackle in the GAA wouldn't warrant a free kick or card, but if some of these happened in soccer the player would be rolling around crying his pampered eyes out until the pitch was flooded and the game called off.

I'd rather see soccer players throw the odd dig, than have the fans slaughter each other in ridiculous tribal meat head mini wars on the street.

Last edited:

Lee McKeown

Brilliant.

Don't ever watch boxing, ice hockey or any other sport where things get a bit rough, obviously such a sight must give you nightmares or something.

I love the GAA, can't beat the odd scrap for a bit of entertainment.
It's a contact sport, it gets rough by nature.
People pretend they are totally disgusted by such things but in reality people just laugh when there's a few punches thrown.
You must be really shocked by me claiming this, no doubt your phoning the doctor right now to get some pills to help you recover from such a barbaric comment!

A running shoulder tackle in the GAA wouldn't warrant a free kick or card, but if some of these happened in soccer the player would be rolling around crying his pampered eyes out until the pitch was flooded and the game called off.

I'd rather see soccer players throw the odd dig, than have the fans slaughter each other in ridiculous tribal meat head mini wars on the street.
I was responding to a claim that there was no violence in gaelic sports.

Obviously that is not true.

Personally, I have no problem with GAA players punching the head off each other as often as possible.

Schomberg

Personally, I have no problem with GAA players punching the head off each other as often as possible.
:lol:

and people down here say northerners have a crappy sense of humour

Lee McKeown

:rolleyes:

Been there, done it, many times.

Or do you only think only good loyal prods live in places like Larne.
There are catholics in Unionist areas across Northern Ireland.

99.9% live hassle free - unlike the protestant minority communities in towns and villages like Dunloy, Rasharkin, Ballycastle, Bellaghy and Newtownbutler.

Molly Maguire

Website
www.slotpb.com

99.9% live hassle free - unlike the protestant minority communities in towns and villages like Dunloy, Rasharkin, Ballycastle, Bellaghy and Newtownbutler.
We,ll leave that out BC, remember i,m from Larne.

daniels

Republic32

-Stoneyford (Year long intimidation of catholic community by that loyalist hero Mark Harbinson and co)
-Coleraine(1 murdered Catholic by loyalists)
-Ballymena(1 murdered catholic school boy by loyalists)
-Portadown(Intimidation of Catholic community throughout the last 40 years
The Robert Hamill murder being a key incident)
-Holy Cross school intimidation of young catholic school girls by rabid loyalists.
Attacks on Catholic

Loyalists are a very welcoming community :lol:

Last edited:

Lee McKeown

-Stoneyford (Year long intimidation of catholic community by that loyalist hero Mark Harbison and co)
West Belfast scum make a few quid and move out to a rural Unionist village - only to complain about a culture that has been there since the place first existed.

What would happen to me if I moved to Dungiven and began giving TV and newspaper interviews complaining about the name of a local GAA club (named after a sectarian criminal) or rebel tunes being played in the local pub??? I'd be burnt out within 24 hours!!

Ask for trouble and thou shalt receive! :lol:

-Coleraine(1 murdered Catholic by loyalists)
Is that the overweight guy who had a heart attack after two gangs were involved in a street fight?

Not a court in the land will convict of murder based on what happened to Kev.

-Ballymena(1 murdered catholic school boy by loyalists)
Another town blighted by sectarian gangs on both sides attacking innocent people because of their religion.

Unfortunately it was Mickybo who died. It could so easily have been one of the many protestant children attacked in the town over the years.

-Portadown(Intimidation of Catholic community throughout the last 40 years
The Robert Hamill murder being a key incident)
Do you think the ethnic cleansing of hundreds of protestant families from Garvaghy Road and nearby areas has hardened attitudes in Portadown?

-Holy Cross school intimidation of young catholic school girls by rabid loyalists.
What was wrong with the other school entrance the exact same distance away? The IRA men from Ardoyne could walk their children to school without having to pass through a protestant area which has suffered for 40 years from Nationalist violence. Sectarian provocation and the sick abuse of children for propaganda purposes is never justified.

Loyalists are a very welcoming community :lol:
Ask the thousands of catholics who live in Bangor, Newtownards, Lisburn, etc and freely mingle with their Loyalist neighbours.

Pity the same can't be said for holes like Strabane, Ballycastle, Dunloy, Bellaghy, Rasharkin, Crumlin and the cityside of Londonderry. :rolleyes:

New Threads

Most Replies