Protestant teacher wins compensation in Equality case.

former wesleyan

Pathetic that it should have come to this. My children were taught by a Roman Catholic teacher in their Protestant school and no-one thought anything about it.

Teacher gets €12,000 in religion case - The Irish Times - Wed, Nov 17, 2010

The bit that I find distasteful is the phonecall:-

Ms McKeever applied for a job in Knocktemple national school, Virginia, in May 2007. Subsequently, she was contacted by the principal and the chairperson and offered a permanent post.

This offer was later withdrawn, following a phone call in which Ms McKeever was questioned about holding the Catholic certificate.
What a slithery way to do business in the 21st century !

SevenStars

Well done!

There is more anti-Protestant sectarianism in the 26 counties than people want to realize.

ocoonassa

The case will raise fresh questions about the influence of the Catholic Church in the appointment process in schools. The church controls more than 90 per cent of primary schools.
It has to go.

ne0ica

Well done!

There is more anti-Protestant sectarianism in the 26 counties than people want to realize.
Please do elaborate more on your statement. Do you have any examples or experiences of anti-Protestant sectarianism south of the border?

eoghanacht

Well done Wes, on the eve of the IMF coming in you've taken to time to construct an OP about a protestant deservedly winning a court case.

Nice to see we've gotten beyond all

eoghanacht

Life will go on, IMF or no IMF.

How long should we be banned from discussing anything other than the IMF ? ;)
As long as sectarian threads are trolled into non existence on P.ie

or

Until the civil war is over..........;)

ocoonassa

eoghanacht

Interesting point - how many more generations before the Civil War loses potency in Irish Politics ?
Once more........

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
Or close the wall up with our Irish dead.
In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
As modest stillness and humility:
But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger;
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage;
Then lend the eye a terrible aspect;
Let pry through the portage of the head
Like the brass cannon; let the brow o'erwhelm it
As fearfully as doth a galled rock
O'erhang and jutty his confounded base,
Swill'd with the wild and wasteful ocean.
Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide,
Hold hard the breath and bend up every spirit
To his full height. On, on, you noblest Irish.
Whose blood is fet from fathers of war-proof!
Fathers that, like so many Alexanders,
Have in these parts from morn till even fought
And sheathed their swords for lack of argument:
Dishonour not your mothers; now attest
That those whom you call'd fathers did beget you.
Be copy now to men of grosser blood,
And teach them how to war. And you, good fian,
Whose limbs were made in Ireland, show us here
The mettle of your pasture; let us swear
That you are worth your breeding; which I doubt not;
For there is none of you so mean and base,
That hath not noble lustre in your eyes.
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
Cry 'God for , Ireland and her children!

former wesleyan

Well done Wes, on the eve of the IMF coming in you've taken to time to construct an OP about a protestant deservedly winning a court case.

Nice to see we've gotten beyond all
Perhaps if the IMF came in the country would have to give up its 19th century ways of doing business. Perhaps the phonecall at night will be made a thing of the past , right across the spectrum of public business.

(yes, there were no phones in the 19th Cent, but you know what I mean.:roll:)

Republic32

In the 26 counties,its time to do away with Religious interference within all schools,and i have no doubt,the modern country,that it is,the Republic will have little problems with a quick change to integrated non-religious schooling.
If parents want their children brought up in a Catholic schooling system,then they should have to pay for it,like those in the US have to,when they send their kids to private catholic schools.
Its time for the seperation of that filth ridden organisation,the Roman Catholic Church from the modern,welcoming state,that the Republic is.

Unfortunately the conditions are not present for similar changes here in the 6 counties,as the inbred sectarianism from the Unionist community,which is brain-washed into their youth at a very young age results in them being encouraged to hate everything Nationalists consider part of their culture.
Hopefully in a few decades,things will have changed.

ocoonassa

Unfortunately the conditions are not present for similar changes here in the 6 counties,as the inbred sectarianism from the Unionist community,which is brain-washed into their youth at a very young age results in them being encouraged to hate everything Nationalists consider part of their culture.
Hopefully in a few decades,things will have changed.
They'll change just as soon as all the kids are put into school together and taught Irish history instead of mythology and they won't change until then. The opposition on this isn't coming from the "inbred sectarian" Unionists but a certain Roman institution that gave away Ireland and made us all very sorry for a long time. They're even mixing the education in Rwanda, are you seriously trying to tell me that if those people can do it so soon after the Interahamwe that we're somehow incapable? I think maybe with the name Republic32 you should be supporting secularism in 32 counties and not just 26 of them.

Republic32

They'll change just as soon as all the kids are put into school together and taught Irish history instead of mythology and they won't change until then. The opposition on this isn't coming from the "inbred sectarian" Unionists but a certain Roman institution that gave away Ireland and made us all very sorry for a long time. They're even mixing the education in Rwanda, are you seriously trying to tell me that if those people can do it so soon after the Interahamwe that we're somehow incapable? I think maybe with the name Republic32 you should be supporting secularism in 32 counties and not just 26 of them.
I know, im such a partitionist petunia
I will support secularism within the 6 counties,when i believe the conditions are right to do so.
At the minute when organisations such as the Orange Order which fosters hatred towards Nationalists and their culture are prevalent throughout unionist society,the chances of integrated education becoming anyway popular throughout the 6 counties is exactly zero.

Last edited:

Cruimh

Good post mate.

This makes for interesting reading - pdf file on Integrated education.

‘Some County Down controlled schools such as Bangor Central Primary and Priory College are changing from mostly Protestant to become integrated. The rule is that two of the four Protestant clergy on the Boards of Governors should be replaced by Catholics. But the South Eastern Board ran into problems when the Catholic Bishop of Down and Connor refused to nominate anyone…'​
Bishop Daly - refused to appoint a Chaplain to Lagan College

Refusal of Catholic Bishop to confirm children not attending a Catholic school ?

Last edited:

Cruimh

At the minute when organisations such as the Orange Order which fosters hatred towards Nationalists and their culture are prevalent throughout unionist society,the chances of integrated education becoming anyway popular throughout the 6 counties is exactly zero.
odd then that

Public Continues to Support Integrated Education
17/09/2008

Public support for formally integrated schools remains very high. When asked what type of school they would prefer their children or grandchildren to attend, more than 4 in 10 (43%) stated that they would prefer that they attended an integrated school. 29% preferred state controlled, 22% said Catholic maintained and 3% Irish Medium.

ocoonassa

I know im such a partitionist petunia
I will support secularism within the 6 counties,when i believe the conditions are right to do so.
At the minute when Unionist organisations such as the Orange Order which fosters hatred towards Nationalists and their culture are prevalent throughout unionist society,the chances of integrated education becoming anyway popular throughout the 6 counties is exactly zero.
The OO is hardly prevalent I think you have that wrong mate, there were 93,447 Orangemen claimed as members in 1968 and 35,700 in 2006 and that's on an all Ireland basis. (See they go for 32 counties with some things) That's some tiny fraction of the population all the same. If you try to make integrated education dependant on the OO vanishing how the hell is it ever going to happen? If they just vanished then sure what need would there be of integration?

Really I think the State need to withdraw all the funding for faith based schools and introduce a single curriculum without any sectarian mumbo jumbo. Otherwise northeastern Ireland is just going to stay a really grim place with self imposed apartheid, and the people down here especially in D4 and such places are going to start making calls to nuke you and have done. Well not quite but they already hate you all and wouldn't ever want to chip in for reunification, so you people need to put in a bit of an effort there I reckon to offset that. If the Hutu and the Tutsi kids can go to school together after all that went on there so recently, then people in the northeast refusing to do it just looks very weak.

Republic32

"The findings come from a survey about attitudes towards Integrated Education, carried out on behalf of NICIE by Millward Brown Ulster".

A Survey petunia ,so thats your concrete evidence that this present established Intergrated education sector is supported by Nationalists cruimh?

If this is the case, obviously schools like those in Rostrevor,Fivemiletown,Armagh and Dungannon are having their doors beat down by mass amounts of nationalists trying to enroll their children there?

Obviously ive been wrong,as there already is mass integrated education in the six counties according to cruimh here. :D

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies