Protestants in Cavan and Monaghan - Census 2006 (map)

Casualbets

These maps were requestred by Ceilteach

Colour Scheme

<10% Lt Blue
10-20% Dk Blue
20-30% Green
30-40% Dk Red
>40% Lt Red

Casualbets

Nothing, as I pointed out at the top of the message they were requested by Ceilteach...

Mind you, there does seem to be a relationship between the Fine Gael vote and the protestant population in both Monaghan and Cavan, particularly with Crawford's vote...

This is the FG vote in 2007 in Cavan...

Ceilteach

This is very interesting and thank you for taking your time to do this.

Stannis, what a quite an arrogant response census, numbers, facts are interesting if you don't care why on earth did you post in this thread you muppet?

blucey

Stannis, what a quite an arrogant response census, numbers, facts are interesting if you don't care why on earth did you post in this thread you muppet?
i think these are fascinating and informative maps. Now...can yu do a lisbon vote!

stannis

Sticks and stones...

I wanted to know why the concentration on Protestants. Contrary to what you think, people have the right to question things they find questionable. The percentage and placing of Protestants in any given county is pretty much irrelevant to Irish politics.

By the way, very mature of you to leave anonymous negative reputation on my profile. You're a tough man hiding behind anonymous insults.

Ceilteach

Stannis, I'd firstly like you give you a public appology for being arrogant like that to you and for calling you a muppet and the negative rep, that was wrong of me.

Sorry again.

Oriel27

Ceilteach, brilliant post about the maps Monaghan and Cavan.

Im a Monaghan man and yes you have the colour codes spot on. The dark red patches are areas called Rockcorry, Aghabog and Ballybay. I can tell you now even to this day they are very protestant areas. Semour Crawford comes from Aghabog.
It goes without saying around them areas, if its protestant land for sale, a catholic wont get it. Your the "wrong colour" is the expression.
The light red area is Drum in the west and Oram in the east. Again very pro-british areas.
ye still would have all the young ones here looking towards the north to go to college etc.
Big Ian Paisley has a church in Drum. It got burnt there a few years ago.

The light blue areas at the north of the county were extremely protestant areas pre 1921. I should know because we bought up all the land as the protestants left.
An area known as scotstown close to Rosslea was a great protestant area at one time, theres not one left.
1950/60's border campaign made alot of them leave.

Its unfair how alot of good living decent protestant folk had to leave their home land because of bigotted catholic dublin. Protestant folk in the state were and are treated badly.

Ceilteach

Its a very strange thought (to me anyway) to think there are Protestant areas in the Republic especially places that is loyal to Britain, such as Drum and Oram as I've learned on this post. I wonder if they fly union jacks in the street, I suppose they wouldn't because it would cause trouble.

But why be pro-British, what is so good about it anyway? Even folks in England don't give a monkeys.

History Student

Its interesting statistically but whats the picture country-wide, are there still Protestants in North Cork, East Galway and Offaly for example? Whats the decrease since independence countrywide? Is it a religion in terminal decline outside of the Border region and NI? Do the remaining communities feel isolated and does the state do enough to show that they are valued members of the community even if their religion is different, whats the percentage of non-believers on the census, are they going to be the dominant force in 100 years when we we discuss Catholic percentages like we now do with Protestants. Ireland 2108 - 1% Protestant, 5% Catholic and 94% agnostic

I just think about that sometimes, sorry to ramble, Its late

joel

Its interesting statistically but whats the picture country-wide, are there still Protestants in North Cork, East Galway and Offaly for example? Whats the decrease since independence countrywide? Is it a religion in terminal decline outside of the Border region and NI? Do the remaining communities feel isolated and does the state do enough to show that they are valued members of the community even if their religion is different, whats the percentage of non-believers on the census, are they going to be the dominant force in 100 years when we we discuss Catholic percentages like we now do with Protestants. Ireland 2108 - 1% Protestant, 5% Catholic and 94% agnostic

I just think about that sometimes, sorry to ramble, Its late

This is sectarianism - a deliberate policy, pursued by the ex-masters.

History Student

Its an comment on the state of religion in this country, how anyone could consider it sectarian is beyond belief. Its quite true that Protestantism has declined in Southern Ireland since Independence. Do you dispute that or perhaps Im
at cross wires with you, where exactly is the sectarianism in my post??

joel

Its an comment on the state of religion in this country, how anyone could consider it sectarian is beyond belief. Its quite true that Protestantism has declined in Southern Ireland since Independence. Do you dispute that or perhaps Im
at cross wires with you, where exactly is the sectarianism in my post??

Immigration has increased - how about a breakdown on that?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies