Protestors protest at new Eirgrid Project in Rush

fluffykontbiscuits

Almost 150 protestors have gathered in Rush in north county Dublin to voice their opposition to Eirgrid's interconnector between Ireland and the UK.
Protesters gather in Dublin to protest Eirgrid interconnector | Irish Examiner

A spokeswoman said

"There are links to childhood leukemia, miscarriage, Alzheimer's and all sorts of behavioral disorders are linked to the emissions from cables like that especially with that power and magnitude," she said.

Its my understanding that Alzheimer's is caused by build up of plaque on the brain and behavioural disorders are caused by chemical imbalances and not electrical.Miscarraiges can happen for a number of reasons.

Dont know about the Leukemia.........

Serindipity

I am one of the locals who has protested against this, and my main reason is that it has to go down the Main street, which will have to be torn up repeatedly for maintenance. There are plenty of other route options, one through Rogerstown Estuary - although this has been ruled out due to 'environmental' reasons - which hasn't stopped them building a huge landfill beside it! They also could have followed a huge gas pipe-line north of the town. Why do they have to go through the town? Huge disruption - just so they don't have to pay landowners its ludicrious.

fiannafailure

I am one of the locals who has protested against this, and my main reason is that it has to go down the Main street, which will have to be torn up repeatedly for maintenance. There are plenty of other route options, one through Rogerstown Estuary - although this has been ruled out due to 'environmental' reasons - which hasn't stopped them building a huge landfill beside it! They also could have followed a huge gas pipe-line north of the town. Why do they have to go through the town? Huge disruption - just so they don't have to pay landowners its ludicrious.
Your honesty is admirable, no BS about health effects, this is a Direct Current cable, there NO health effects.

Rest assured that once in place very little will ever go wrong with this cable, they are designed to be laid in the sea, very hard to maintain them there.

Please explain to the previously quoted spokeswoman that she is making a fool of her herself, this is not an AC cable

wombat

Please explain to the previously quoted spokeswoman that she is making a fool of her herself, this is not an AC cable
She probably wants to run for the Dáil;)

fluffykontbiscuits

Your honesty is admirable, no BS about health effects, this is a Direct Current cable, there NO health effects.

Rest assured that once in place very little will ever go wrong with this cable, they are designed to be laid in the sea, very hard to maintain them there.

Have to give him credit too , I for one was looking at the BS excuse given by the spokeswoman at least now we know why. Best of luck with the protest mate, hope all works out in your favour. :)

droghedasouth

And on top of that, the cable is buried which is what protesters elsewhere want to do witth the proposed AC high voltage line through Meath to Monaghan and Cavan.

But then no one ever failed to get elected by underestimating the stupidity of the electorate.

myhonorisloyalty666

'Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.'
Arthur C. Clarke, "Profiles of The Future", 1961 (Clarke's third law)
English physicist & science fiction author (1917 - 2008)

These anti-interconnector morons remind of the apes and the monolith.

Franzoni

Dunno if any of you posting here are familiar with Rush.. ? i think the point the poster who said they are one of the protesters is making is the Main St isn't the biggest and the disruption will be huge as i imagine it's a pretty big cable if it's a interconnector...

the size of our coastline and there wasn't one other place it could come in..?

fiannafailure

Dunno if any of you posting here are familiar with Rush.. ? i think the point the poster who said they are one of the protesters is making is the Main St isn't the biggest and the disruption will be huge as i imagine it's a pretty big cable if it's a interconnector...

For safety reasons this cable must be underneath a roadway, so that it is impossible to dig it up by accident.

And it is not that big, no bigger than a watermain.

energy

The chickens from the "environmental" movement are coming home to roost.

After years of scaremongering people about nuclear power, overhead lines, phone masts, incinerators, Corrib etc etc - the general public are so confused that they're now campaigning against an underground HVDC interconnector to back up "green" wind power !!!!!!

It's also not helped by the fact that we have a media which is technically illiterate and students are encouraged to avoid Physics & Chemistry at Leaving Cert because it's "too hard".

DaveM

The disruption won't be huge at all. They'll be laying ducts so traffic will probably be down to one lane for about a 30 metre stretch at the location where they are working at any given time. It'll be no different to what they would need if they were working on watermains or telecom ducts.

Serindipity

Thank you Franzoni, at least one person is paying attention - and by the way the other of you who agreed with my 'down to earth statement' should know that you all have a predisposition to make assumptions, why do you assume that because it was non-bullsh*t statement, that I must be a man.

This will cause huge disruption, Rush has only recently had some new business starting up on the main street, it will devastate them. Also if they are worried about an electrical cable being accidently dug up then why not a gas pipeline. This is market gardening area we are prone to digging up things!!

DaveM

Thank you Franzoni, at least one person is paying attention - and by the way the other of you who agreed with my 'down to earth statement' should know that you all have a predisposition to make assumptions, why do you assume that because it was non-bullsh*t statement, that I must be a man.

This will cause huge disruption, Rush has only recently had some new business starting up on the main street, it will devastate them. Also if they are worried about an electrical cable being accidently dug up then why not a gas pipeline. This is market gardening area we are prone to digging up things!!
It won't cause huge disruption. Works like these are carried out across the country all the time. Laying a few ducts up the main street would take a few weeks at most before they'd be clear of the town. Saying it would devastate new businesses is more than a tad hysterical.

By the way, a high voltage cable like this is more dangerous than a gas main so it makes perfect sense to put it in a location where it is least likely to be inadvertently dug up.

paulp

How long will it take to put this through Rush.

They claim they will do 30-50 metres per day - so I can't imagine it will take very long.

GreenIsGood

What about radioactivity?

After all, the main purpose of the interconnector is to import satanic nuclear power which is produced cheaply in the UK.

New Threads

Most Replies