• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Protests in UCC against naming of building after Nobel prize-winning geneticist James Watson (DNA)

A Voice

Nobel prize-winning geneticist James Watson (DNA) has had a building named after him in UCC.

SJW types are protesting against this because the illustrious scientist has come out with a few opinions over the years that they don't like.

Protesting speech which makes our UCC feel like a less safe space. No to naming a UCC building after James Watson.
- Karl Kitching, Education Lecturer, UCC.
So this thread touches at least tangentially on many interesting topics, because of the wide range of quotes that Prof. Watson has come out with: sex (or gender, if you must), sexuality, feminism, body image, racism and so on.

Primarily, I think it's about free speech, or "safe space" if you believe the protesters.

Here's a couple of photos showing some of his offending opinions, which were posted on the twitter account of a UCC lecturer:

(You can see these more clearly if you right-click on the image, copy image address, and paste into a new browser window.)

I've put it in Science but feel free to move it.

Betson

That Karl Kitching from UCC seems a right barrel of laughs , has Mercurial been unmasked?

General Urko

Watson is gay is he not?
I think it shows a massive issue, there are fooking rednecks out there for whom abortion is a red line issue but if an embryo had the gay gene then they would have no real issue with aborting it!

General Urko

If they found a gene that predisposed somebody to become a rapist/child molester/ murderer, which is quite possible, should abortion be compulsory?

RasherHash

Nobel prize-winning geneticist James Watson (DNA) has had a building named after him in UCC.

SJW types are protesting against this because the illustrious scientist has come out with a few opinions over the years that they don't like.

So this thread touches at least tangentially on many interesting topics, because of the wide range of quotes that Prof. Watson has come out with: sex (or gender, if you must), sexuality, feminism, body image, racism and so on.

Primarily, I think it's about free speech, or "safe space" if you believe the protesters.

Here's a couple of photos showing some of his offending opinions, which were posted on the twitter account of a UCC lecturer:

(You can see these more clearly if you right-click on the image, copy image address, and paste into a new browser window.)

I've put it in Science but feel free to move it.
If hetero parents were given this choice then gayism would probably become extinct.

Accidental sock

Ok...I have a solution....why don't UCC build a new auditorium identical to the one in DCU.

...then they could call it 'The double Helix'

wombat

Is there any evidence that genes determine behaviour?

Cato

General Urko

Does it not also raise the issue of designer babies? Also the abortion of mbryos of children with disabilities, which is possible in Farnce and The UK up to the day of birth?

Nipper

I thought universities only named things after Tax dodgers these days

Cato

Watson is gay is he not?
I think it shows a massive issue, there are fooking rednecks out there for whom abortion is a red line issue but if an embryo had the gay gene then they would have no real issue with aborting it!
Conversely, those on the pro-choice side who believe that a women should be free to have an abortion for any reason would have little ground for objecting to women exercising the choice to abort to as to avoid having a gay child. In the UK, the vast majority of diagnoses of Down's Syndrome result in an abortion to almost no objection from the pro-choice side: why would it be any different if and when it comes to a diagnosis of a gay-gene.

Needless to say, all of this supposes that a genetic disposition to homosexuality can be identified, which, as I understand it, has not yet been accomplished.

Cato

Does it not also raise the issue of designer babies? Also the abortion of mbryos of children with disabilities, which is possible in Farnce and The UK up to the day of birth?
Designer babies are already moving beyond merely being able to reject what is there, to the point where one will be able to order a baby with particular characteristics. The Wrath of Khan here we come!*

*This is just a reference for nerds, not a serious prediction.

General Urko

With a lot of Rad Fems, who have a frothing at the mouth hatred of men and women who have sex with men (Stockholm Syndrome) and not them abortion, isn't it an awful pity their aul wans didn't do the world a huge favour and abort them, when pregnant!

talkingshop

According to Wiki - these are his controversial cooments:

He has been quoted in The Sunday Telegraph, 1997, as stating: "If you could find the gene which determines sexuality and a woman decides she doesn't want a homosexual child, well, let her."[85] The biologist Richard Dawkins wrote a letter to The Independent claiming that Watson's position was misrepresented by The Sunday Telegraph article, and that Watson would equally consider the possibility of having a heterosexual child to be just as valid as any other reason for abortion, to emphasise that Watson is in favor of allowing choice.[86]

On the issue of obesity, Watson has also been quoted as saying, 2000: "Whenever you interview fat people, you feel bad, because you know you're not going to hire them."[87]

While speaking at a conference in 2000, Watson had suggested a link between skin color and sex drive, hypothesizing that dark-skinned people have stronger libidos.[87][88] His lecture argued that extracts of melanin – which gives skin its color – had been found to boost subjects' sex drive. "That's why you have Latin lovers," he said, according to people who attended the lecture. "You've never heard of an English lover. Only an English Patient."[89]

Watson has repeatedly supported genetic screening and genetic engineering in public lectures and interviews, arguing that stupidity is a disease and the "really stupid" bottom 10% of people should be cured.[90] He has also suggested that beauty could be genetically engineered, saying in 2003, "People say it would be terrible if we made all girls pretty. I think it would be great."[90][91]

also -

"[I am] inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa [because] all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours—whereas all the testing says not really." He went on to say that despite the desire that all human beings should be equal, "people who have to deal with black employees find this not true."

wombat

What kind of behaviour? As in sexual preference?
That or mass murder, musical talent, head for heights, claustraphobia... You name it.

General Urko

A lot of the libertard gobshytes who have an all consuming lust for abortion, will have been in covulsions about the savage murders in Orlando!
Yet are to fooktarded to understand that the isolation of a gay gene will lead to many gay people never being born in the first place!:mad:

Cato

I see the quote there about the distribution of differing levels of intelligence among groups of humans that may have evolved in separately from each other. This, of course, may or may not be true, and I can understand the sensitivities around it but if true, it will a) only apply on a general range level; not in every individual case, and b) has no implications for the question of human rights or the essential dignity of each individual person (except for racists, but they're a problem anyway).

Intelligence testing seems to have controversial elements to it, including cultural bias.

General Urko

according to wiki - these are his controversial cooments:

He has been quoted in the sunday telegraph, 1997, as stating: "if you could find the gene which determines sexuality and a woman decides she doesn't want a homosexual child, well, let her."[85] the biologist richard dawkins wrote a letter to the independent claiming that watson's position was misrepresented by the sunday telegraph article, and that watson would equally consider the possibility of having a heterosexual child to be just as valid as any other reason for abortion, to emphasise that watson is in favor of allowing choice.[86]

on the issue of obesity, watson has also been quoted as saying, 2000: "whenever you interview fat people, you feel bad, because you know you're not going to hire them."[87]

while speaking at a conference in 2000, watson had suggested a link between skin color and sex drive, hypothesizing that dark-skinned people have stronger libidos.[87][88] his lecture argued that extracts of melanin – which gives skin its color – had been found to boost subjects' sex drive. "that's why you have latin lovers," he said, according to people who attended the lecture. "you've never heard of an english lover. Only an english patient."[89]

watson has repeatedly supported genetic screening and genetic engineering in public lectures and interviews, arguing that stupidity is a disease and the "really stupid" bottom 10% of people should be cured.[90] he has also suggested that beauty could be genetically engineered, saying in 2003, "people say it would be terrible if we made all girls pretty. I think it would be great."[90][91]

also -

"[i am] inherently gloomy about the prospect of africa [because] all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours—whereas all the testing says not really." he went on to say that despite the desire that all human beings should be equal, "people who have to deal with black employees find this not true."
Ah, dawker a man who claimed that it was a sin to bring a child with intellectual disabilites into the world, which in itself indicates his own profound limitations!
He also claimed 'mild' child sexual abuse which he was subjected to was less serious than imposing religion on a child!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies