Provision of Objective Sex Education Bill 2018

Clanrickard

On 29 March 2018 Paul Murphy TD, Solidarity, moved the first stage of the Provision of Objective Sex Education Bill 2018 in the Dail. The Bill will be debated in the Dail tomorrow, Wednesday, from 4pm-6pm.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/bills28/bills/2018/3418/b3418d.pdf

Among those supporting the Bill are -

National Women's Council of Ireland
Shout Out
Daltaí 4 Choice
Rape Crisis Network
UCD Students Union
Irish Family Planning Association
BeLongTo
YouAct Europe
Irish Second Level Students Union
Atheist Ireland

Not surprisingly the Catholic Primary School Management Association is opposing the Bill - claiming it could be unconstitutional (its not).

Article about the Bill -
https://www.herfamily.ie/parenthood/students-share-their-horrific-experiences-of-sex-education-in-irish-schools-303600?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=onsite_share

Video from Solidarity TD's Ruth Coppinger, Paul Murphy and Mick Barry outlining the reasons why Solidarity is proposing this Private Members Bill

[video=youtube;kM89zqmu6ik]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM89zqmu6ik[/video]

In light of the recent rape trial in Belfast and the protests around the country in reaction to the trial, this Bill comes at an opportune time. I urge everyone to lobby their TDs to support this much needed initiative.
Hopefully dead in the water. I don;t want our kids indoctrinated by loony lefties and hatchet faced feminists.

making waves

Hopefully dead in the water. I don;t want our kids indoctrinated by loony lefties and hatchet faced feminists.
Much better to have them indoctrinated by religious fundamentalists who have a record of serving up children to paedophiles.

making waves

It is worth noting that because of public pressure since the submission of this Sex Education Bill the government has been forced to announce a review of sex education in schools.

GDPR

Much better to have them indoctrinated by religious fundamentalists who have a record of serving up children to paedophiles.
Sex education not that long ago I was informed by my cousin came at the age of 11 from a priest at his school, who brought the lads in singly for the chat about the birds and the bees, while he offered them sweets.

If you took those sweets, you would shortly get a practical demonstration.

Rapey old Irelands attitudes to what constitutes sound sex education interest me none.

benroe

Whatever happened to parents teaching their kids about sex?, i'm hardly the only one who did/will.

riker1969

Tripe. Pure Tripe. Teenage pregnancy declining for years. Do these clowns really think kids are going to accept values taught by teachers? Really ? Why? What evidence? Every time society thinks its has a problem it passes the buck to schools. Result:Nothing changes.

JimmyFoley

Who is stopping parents doing anything in their home ?

And unfortunately not all parents provide their children with sex education.
So you have no problem with a parent's saying that he or she will teach her or his kids about sex?

making waves

So you have no problem with a parent's saying that he or she will teach her or his kids about sex?
Nope - I did with my own kids - I would have wanted proper objective sex education in school so my own kids didn't have to deal with all the crap that results from what passes as sex education in school.

JimmyFoley

Nope - I did with my own kids - I would have wanted proper objective sex education in school so my own kids didn't have to deal with all the crap that results from what passes as sex education in school.
What part is so objectionable? Be specific, please.

Dame_Enda

If true then the link in the first post of the thread demonstrates again why we need an option of secular education.

making waves

D

Deleted member 17573

Pretty much all of it - prime example - this is from an ETB Community College - which has a full-time priest Chaplin and starts its RSE policy with the statement "the human body is sacred" and goes downhill from there.

https://www.teachdontpreach.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Coachford-College-Cork-RelationshipsSexualityEducation.pdf
The word sacred simply means that it should be treated with respect, surely an essential prerequisite for an understand of consent!

making waves

The word sacred simply means that it should be treated with respect, surely an essential prerequisite for an understand of consent!
Yea yea - explain the follow up statement that talks about enriching the "body, emotions and soul"

And the next one that talks about the "loving unity of the couple and... cooperation with God in bringing new human life into the world"

Roll_On

The bill will provide a curriculum that is inclusive of same sex intimacy which has to be welcomed. The current set up established in the late 90s doesn't even mention contraception

JimmyFoley

Pretty much all of it - prime example - this is from an ETB Community College - which has a full-time priest Chaplin and starts its RSE policy with the statement "the human body is sacred" and goes downhill from there.

https://www.teachdontpreach.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Coachford-College-Cork-RelationshipsSexualityEducation.pdf
Meh. As long as pupils know what goes where, the consequences of sex (good and bad), and understanding that everyone is in charge of his or her own body, I couldn't give a bollix really.

No need to reinvent the wheel.

making waves

Meh. As long as pupils know what goes where, the consequences of sex (good and bad), and understanding that everyone is in charge of his or her own body, I couldn't give a bollix really.

No need to reinvent the wheel.
To try and reinvent something it has to be invented first.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies