Provisional Sinn Fein fails in bid to recruit GAA star

pinemartin

heard the same that he would be in the Labour sphere of influence
its seems he was not averse to be seen on the election hustings with the shinners or at their recent get together. Maybe Sf are now seen as being in the same space that Labour were a few years ago. Labour are about to go into a difficult period of cuts in this fairly economically right wing government so maybe some of their traditional support base will desert to the SF.

Airwave

are you for real what a load of wishful thinking crap all political parties would chop off an arm for the A grade candidates .this sounds like either a sour grapes story leaked by another political party or the state itself .why wouldnt he want to stand for SF anyway?.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
its seems he was not averse to be seen on the election hustings with the shinners or at their recent get together. Maybe Sf are now seen as being in the same space that Labour were a few years ago. Labour are about to go into a difficult period of cuts in this fairly economically right wing government so maybe some of their traditional support base will desert to the SF.
I think you might be close enough to the mark there. There are likely many people all over Ireland, who would have been close to SF's politics, but who knew that to express it openly, would have only brought trouble down upon themselves or their families.. It is hard to explain to some people the hassle that been associated with SF in the past was.. having your house raided, employers visited, being constantly stopped when driving around..

This has all stopped now.. there is no stigma attached to SF anymore, and support can become a self fulfilling prophecy in many instances... the more SF grow, the more respectable they will be seen as as a political force, and the more they will continue to grow..

I am firmly of the belief that once the current generation of the party's leadership moves aside, and a newer generation takes over the reins... SF will experience another huge growth spurt

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
This has all stopped now.. there is no stigma attached to SF anymore, and support can become a self fulfilling prophecy in many instances... the more SF grow, the more respectable they will be seen as as a political force, and the more they will continue to grow..
I wouldn't go that far, while Adams leads the party in the Dail they'll still be seen to have blood on their hands, no many how much the dress up and push forward people like Mary Lou and Doherty.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
I wouldn't go that far, while Adams leads the party in the Dail they'll still be seen to have blood on their hands, no many how much the dress up and push forward people like Mary Lou and Doherty.
Perhaps, but not wishing to sound insulting because I don't mean it this way.. but you will never ever consider SF to be fit for Government, so SF will never really care about your opinion. It's those who are open to being convinced that SF will try to win hearts and minds from. That is becoming easier by the day in my mind

D

Duth Ealla

I think you might be close enough to the mark there. There are likely many people all over Ireland, who would have been close to SF's politics, but who knew that to express it openly, would have only brought trouble down upon themselves or their families.. It is hard to explain to some people the hassle that been associated with SF in the past was.. having your house raided, employers visited, being constantly stopped when driving around..

I am firmly of the belief that once the current generation of the party's leadership moves aside, and a newer generation takes over the reins... SF will experience another huge growth spurt
I think it would be an incredibly huge mistake for SF to push aside its leadership simply because they were the leadership when it was hardest to be a republican.

there is a frequent line that the republican movement would be best to walk away from the past in order to keep on growing. That strategically they need to do so. But why should they. Why should the Republican movement walk away from its past, from the committment and character shown by its volunteers and activists.

I look at Sinn Fein, and the Republican movement, as being some what bigger, or outside this rickety little state and ultimately about building a new state across the whole country.

For SF to look at its leadership and think they are holding us back from getting a few more votes or tds would be for SF to start thinking on a small scale, and to aim for low grade expansion rather than building more steadily (to use a factualism) a republican constituency across this country committed to totally changing this island of ours.

SF's leadership will of course step down in due time but what a huge mistake if SFers thought it would be a good idea to press for it.

1888bhoys

Twitter
thesuir
I think it would be an incredibly huge mistake for SF to push aside its leadership simply because they were the leadership when it was hardest to be a republican.

there is a frequent line that the republican movement would be best to walk away from the past in order to keep on growing. That strategically they need to do so. But why should they. Why should the Republican movement walk away from its past, from the committment and character shown by its volunteers and activists.

I look at Sinn Fein, and the Republican movement, as being some what bigger, or outside this rickety little state and ultimately about building a new state across the whole country.

For SF to look at its leadership and think they are holding us back from getting a few more votes or tds would be for SF to start thinking on a small scale, and to aim for low grade expansion rather than building more steadily (to use a factualism) a republican constituency across this country committed to totally changing this island of ours.

SF's leadership will of course step down in due time but what a huge mistake if SFers thought it would be a good idea to press for it.

Great post you are spot on. ROC is anti Gerry Adams and wants to forget about the men and women you did the heavy lefting in the bad days

RetiredProvo

Great post you are spot on. ROC is anti Gerry Adams and wants to forget about the men and women you did the heavy lefting in the bad days

The axis of influence for change has moved from BoI to the RoI and as such a southern based leadership would help further the project more.

FF lays wreaths at Bodenstown and FG at Beal na Blath and LP give lip service to James Connolly and Jim Larkin when they think it might serve their purpose to do so. In this respect SF should always pay homage and respect to those that gave them the cutting edge in negotiation and helped them move the project from a conflict process to a political process.

Unfortunately, it is only to be expected that when immersed in the political quagmire of opportunism that calls itself a national parliament, SF will like all the others who came and went before them undoubtedly pitch for low grade expansion on whatever scale it gets, so long as they beat the other crowd for the seat. Politicians after all only knows politics.

Notwithstanding all of that, SF does appear to be blooding a crop of articulate and committed activists at local and national level. Doherty, Toibin, O’Broin, Ruadhan Mac Aodhain and Kathryn Reilly are where the party’s future needs to keep heading towards. The likes of Comiskey, McLellan, and Mary Lou were bonus points that probably won’t come make it next time round.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
RoC is not anti-Gerry Adams.

I have on numerous occasions said this, and I will say it again here. I think Gerry Adams is one of the finest, if not the finest politicians to come out of this island in the last century. I firmly believe history will show this. His work on brokering the IRA ceasefires and negotiating the Good Friday Agreement was a work of political genius. He was also immensely brave in putting his electoral neck on the line in running in this years General Election, and the party were rewarded with the result they achieved.

On a personal level, Gerry rang me on Sunday morning after hearing of the passing of my father, and if I remember correctly, was probably the first call I received from anyone expressing their condolences. He also rang me on numerous occasions since last February asking about my fathers health and wishing him the best of luck.

But politics is about opinions. You, I, Gerry Adams, and every other person who has a political interest has a different opinion. If we were all of the same opinion, we'd be nothing more than sheep. And I was brought up to question things, and make up my own mind about things.

It is my opinion, that as well as SF have done in the recent past, they could do better with a change of leadership by passing on the reins of the party to the next generation. I could be completely wrong. Lord knows, I have been often enough in the past. But it's still an opinion

For example, let me as a question... if you defer to those men and women who did the heavy lifting in the bad days.. would you be happy if SF brought Ruardhi O Bradaigh back into the fold and made him the next leader of the party ?

1888bhoys

Twitter
thesuir
RoC is not anti-Gerry Adams.

I have on numerous occasions said this, and I will say it again here. I think Gerry Adams is one of the finest, if not the finest politicians to come out of this island in the last century. I firmly believe history will show this. His work on brokering the IRA ceasefires and negotiating the Good Friday Agreement was a work of political genius. He was also immensely brave in putting his electoral neck on the line in running in this years General Election, and the party were rewarded with the result they achieved.

On a personal level, Gerry rang me on Sunday morning after hearing of the passing of my father, and if I remember correctly, was probably the first call I received from anyone expressing their condolences. He also rang me on numerous occasions since last February asking about my fathers health and wishing him the best of luck.

But politics is about opinions. You, I, Gerry Adams, and every other person who has a political interest has a different opinion. If we were all of the same opinion, we'd be nothing more than sheep. And I was brought up to question things, and make up my own mind about things.

It is my opinion, that as well as SF have done in the recent past, they could do better with a change of leadership by passing on the reins of the party to the next generation. I could be completely wrong. Lord knows, I have been often enough in the past. But it's still an opinion

For example, let me as a question... if you defer to those men and women who did the heavy lifting in the bad days.. would you be happy if SF brought Ruardhi O Bradaigh back into the fold and made him the next leader of the party ?
To answer your question No but Ruardhi a good man as he is, is not one of the people in my opinion who did the heavy lifting .For someone who called for Gerry to go at a time when i think you were still in SF is this a change of hart by you? if not when should Gerry go because timeing is everthing

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
To answer your question No but Ruardhi a good man as he is, is not one of the people in my opinion who did the heavy lifting .For someone who called for Gerry to go at a time when i think you were still in SF is this a change of hart by you? if not when should Gerry go because timeing is everthing
Yes, I called for Gerry to go then. And I would still think he should go if I were in the party now. And I still feel the exact same way about his future legacy now, as I did then.

People sometimes seem unable to separate one thought from the next in relation to things. One can have a great opinion of someone based on what they have done in the past, but still think the time for them is to move aside on allow others to do some of the heavy lifting that will be needed for the future.

Remember, Gerry will be gone sometime anyway. It's up to ourselves whether we have that choice ourselves, or whether its taken from us.

For example, as a hypothetical, if polls suggested that in an election next year, with Gerry leading SF, the party would win 20 seats.. but with someone new leading the party they would win 30 seats. What would you want to do ?

The party must always be bigger than any individual member.

SlabMurphy

Website
www.dublin.ie

I agree with most of what you state Rock, I have never been in SF but even just to be invovled in the H Blocks marches, opening border roads etc brought the same type of McCarthyism on a person, certainly in the border region where the Branch had too much time on their hands.

" the more SF grow, the more respectable they will be seen as as a political force "Yes, and we'll see how the old alleged rivals of FG/Lab and FF (or whatever guise FF may be in) will come together to stop the ' extremists ' from taking over. Dr Sir Tony AJF O'Reilly's comics will go into over drive :D

Only thing I fear ( and many others ), when you get into power, will SF become FF mark 2 ?

CarnivalOfAction

Yes, I called for Gerry to go then. And I would still think he should go if I were in the party now. And I still feel the exact same way about his future legacy now, as I did then.

People sometimes seem unable to separate one thought from the next in relation to things. One can have a great opinion of someone based on what they have done in the past, but still think the time for them is to move aside on allow others to do some of the heavy lifting that will be needed for the future.

Remember, Gerry will be gone sometime anyway. It's up to ourselves whether we have that choice ourselves, or whether its taken from us.

For example, as a hypothetical, if polls suggested that in an election next year, with Gerry leading SF, the party would win 20 seats.. but with someone new leading the party they would win 30 seats. What would you want to do ?

The party must always be bigger than any individual member.
Well said RoC.

Back to the GAA: Phoenix says SF is considering Mickey Harte as Presidential candidate.

Socratus O' Pericles

Well said RoC.

Back to the GAA: Phoenix says SF is considering Mickey Harte as Presidential candidate.
He'd get my No. 1 those Northern Presidents are pretty good as are the Northern football Managers.

Top Bottom