Provisional Sinn Fein fails in bid to recruit GAA star

SlabMurphy

Website
www.dublin.ie
Can a subject of the United Kingdom become a President ?
Yet another clown who likes to think he's the funniest guy on the planet :roll: In fact with the exception of Dev who was born in America, all the Presidents up to Paddy Hillery in 1976 since been born when the 26 were under Brit occupation, were in theory subjects of the UK.

Last edited:

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Yet another clown who likes to think he's the funniest guy on the planet :roll: In fact with the exception of Dev who was born in America, all the Presidents up to Paddy Hillery in 1976 since been born when the 26 were under Brit occupation, were in theory subjects of the UK.
Don't worry about it Slab, it just shows what some of the people who shout their mouth off know about their own history.. nothing

CarnivalOfAction

Just a twit who thinks the OSC isn't part of Ireland.

CarnivalOfAction

If we are going to have someone who represented us at Eurovision, then it should be Dana.
Even Jedward would be better than most of the current choice. [Anyone see them on 9 out of 10 Cats las nite? Scarle'!]

saoirsegodeo32

The GAA has distinguished itself by working with the brits recently, seems a natural step for them to join a party that supports the occupation

taurus

Sinn Féin do not support the occupation and it is evidently under their watch that the complete dilution of British / unionist rule has happened.
Of course there are some republicans that disagree with the transitional agreements , but the numbers are so small that its insignificant.
Its simply immoral to call killing a cop every 2/3 years a war !. It is Not, !.. Sinn Féin representatives have a no ! objective ...a united and free Ireland, of course we're not there yet, but with each election , north and south the support for Sinn Féin grows and that is real leadership, !#

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Perhaps, but not wishing to sound insulting because I don't mean it this way.. but you will never ever consider SF to be fit for Government, so SF will never really care about your opinion. It's those who are open to being convinced that SF will try to win hearts and minds from. That is becoming easier by the day in my mind
I take your point on the fact that I'll never consider voting for SF, but I could make the same point hat your closeness to the party also distorts your views. Simply because you may be getting a less frosty reception at doorsteps doesn't mean that the party is suddenly more popular.

Let's look at the General Election and the gains that the parties made;
Labour gained 9.3%
FG gained 8.8%
Independents gained 6.9%
SF gained 3.0%
ULA gained 1.3%

So SF was only a very distant fourth best option for floating voters.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
I take your point on the fact that I'll never consider voting for SF, but I could make the same point hat your closeness to the party also distorts your views. Simply because you may be getting a less frosty reception at doorsteps doesn't mean that the party is suddenly more popular.

Let's look at the General Election and the gains that the parties made;
Labour gained 9.3%
FG gained 8.8%
Independents gained 6.9%
SF gained 3.0%
ULA gained 1.3%

So SF was only a very distant fourth best option for floating voters.
Well, to be completely frank, it was always a fallacy understood by most SF members, including myself, that SF were going to in some way make large gains from some kind of "soft Republican" vote deserting FF....

There isn't really any "Republican" votes in FF that were going to go anywhere at all. Those who supported FF for their "Republicanism", were, are, and have always been, the FF long term, hardcore voter. Most of the other support that FF had was for want of a better term, a self interested vote, who did well out of crazy FF policies.. until those policies landed them and the country on its a**e.. and then deserted FF for FG and Labour, who were then promising them crazy FF policies to get them back to where they were. It is only now slowly dawning on them, that FG's and Labours promises were nonsense.. and I imagine many of them will desert FG and Labour in time as well.

In the last election, SF's greatest achievement, was to break down the "transfer barrier".. and while they aren't anywhere close to doing that on a major scale yet.. they were able to chip away enough at it to make it worthwhile, and turn a 30% increase in votes, into a 350% increase in seats.

SF's "effective" vote in the last election.. i.e. the vote they finished up on as opposed to the vote they started on i.e. FPV's plus transfers, was around 15%, rather than the 10% starting. 15% of the vote, means that around 1 in 6 people gave SF a vote that either elected a SF TD, or came close to electing a SF TD.. SF were last or second last man standing in 10 constituencies.. consider that against where SF were 14 years ago when Caoimhin was first elected on his own.. 1 in 6 people.. think a full Croke Park.. 12,000 of those people gave SF and effective vote.. think your local church congregation, say 300 people.. try to spot the fifty SF voters..

Slowly but surely the vote and transfer repellancy is breaking down. I think SF will grow again at the next election. I think people will remember Pearse Doherty's speeches in answer to harsh budgets to come over the next few years, more than they will remember Michael Mc Graths.. I am convinced that even more people are simply waiting for a "changing of the guard" to vote for "new" Sinn Fein.. and I am absolutely convinced, that when all the main political parties start stirring up Nationalist pride in the run up to the 2016 Commemorations, it'll be SF that will benefit mostly.. save this post for the next election.. and remember, I told you so..

And look out for the 1 in 6 you pass every day

bogtrotter

Well, to be completely frank, it was always a fallacy understood by most SF members, including myself, that SF were going to in some way make large gains from some kind of "soft Republican" vote deserting FF....

There isn't really any "Republican" votes in FF that were going to go anywhere at all. Those who supported FF for their "Republicanism", were, are, and have always been, the FF long term, hardcore voter. Most of the other support that FF had was for want of a better term, a self interested vote, who did well out of crazy FF policies.. until those policies landed them and the country on its a**e.. and then deserted FF for FG and Labour, who were then promising them crazy FF policies to get them back to where they were. It is only now slowly dawning on them, that FG's and Labours promises were nonsense.. and I imagine many of them will desert FG and Labour in time as well.

In the last election, SF's greatest achievement, was to break down the "transfer barrier".. and while they aren't anywhere close to doing that on a major scale yet.. they were able to chip away enough at it to make it worthwhile, and turn a 30% increase in votes, into a 350% increase in seats.

SF's "effective" vote in the last election.. i.e. the vote they finished up on as opposed to the vote they started on i.e. FPV's plus transfers, was around 15%, rather than the 10% starting. 15% of the vote, means that around 1 in 6 people gave SF a vote that either elected a SF TD, or came close to electing a SF TD.. SF were last or second last man standing in 10 constituencies.. consider that against where SF were 14 years ago when Caoimhin was first elected on his own.. 1 in 6 people.. think a full Croke Park.. 12,000 of those people gave SF and effective vote.. think your local church congregation, say 300 people.. try to spot the fifty SF voters..

Slowly but surely the vote and transfer repellancy is breaking down. I think SF will grow again at the next election. I think people will remember Pearse Doherty's speeches in answer to harsh budgets to come over the next few years, more than they will remember Michael Mc Graths.. I am convinced that even more people are simply waiting for a "changing of the guard" to vote for "new" Sinn Fein.. and I am absolutely convinced, that when all the main political parties start stirring up Nationalist pride in the run up to the 2016 Commemorations, it'll be SF that will benefit mostly.. save this post for the next election.. and remember, I told you so..

Food for thought there Rock.......where else can the country turn?

CarnivalOfAction

Excellent analysis RoC; but I'm going to have to disagree with you & propose that SF should nominate Norris for the presidency [as FG & LP are trying hard to block the public from having an opportunity to vote for him] and same their ammo [!!!] for the locals & next GE [which might be sooner if the EU implodes].

Top Bottom