PSNI....a Service for all?

Mickeymac

I don’t like policemen. I associate them with authority and with the penalties that authority can impose on me for stepping out of line. Which of course is another way of saying I don’t like being caught doing the wrong thing and punished. So maybe the problem lies with me and not the cops. Or then again, maybe not.

“A policeman’s lot is not a happy one” the cop chorus in The Pirates of Penzance sang, and I’m sure the job can be testing. Not as bad as traffic wardens, maybe, but then how could they be? The feeling that every man and woman’s response to your presence is to feel guilty might be kinda fun from a power-trip point of view, but in terms of human relations it must chafe.

What’s that – haven’t we got a spanking new PSNI service with 50-50 recruitment? The RUC is gone, the PSNI has replaced them. What am I complaining about?

Read on please.......

The PSNI: a fresh start or a tainted force? - Jude Collins

hollandia

Well. Not sure what I think about this. There is no doubt that the psni are huge improvement on what went before. However, and it is a huge however, it appears that politically - at governmental level - the tacit policy is to draw a line under troubles era investigations and let them wither on the vine. So, we get things like attempts to introduce a statute of limitations on military investigations, and no truth commission of any type.

Cold comfort for families of victims, but I suspect that for a lot of people of my age for whom the troubles were essentially over as they entered adulthood, this may well be the the best course of action in the long run. For people younger than me, who have little or no recollection of the troubles, there's little to be gained by raking up the past, when there are challenges to be dealt with in the present.

Catalpast

I don’t like policemen. I associate them with authority and with the penalties that authority can impose on me for stepping out of line. Which of course is another way of saying I don’t like being caught doing the wrong thing and punished. So maybe the problem lies with me and not the cops. Or then again, maybe not.

“A policeman’s lot is not a happy one” the cop chorus in The Pirates of Penzance sang, and I’m sure the job can be testing. Not as bad as traffic wardens, maybe, but then how could they be? The feeling that every man and woman’s response to your presence is to feel guilty might be kinda fun from a power-trip point of view, but in terms of human relations it must chafe.

What’s that – haven’t we got a spanking new PSNI service with 50-50 recruitment? The RUC is gone, the PSNI has replaced them. What am I complaining about?

Read on please.......

The Old Crusties will eventually retire, die off or resign

The PSNI are a lot better than the RUC

- but I'm afraid that given the Nature of the Northern State

- that it always be a Force that's problematical in its composition and ethos

Last edited:

statsman

Read on please.......

Just wait until you have to deal with the Guards; you think it's bad now. ;)

hollandia

Just wait until you have to deal with the Guards; you think it's bad now. ;)
At least with the Guards, there's a definite 50/50 chance they'll make a balls of it somewhere.

Mickeymac

The PSNI can and need to change its ethos.

Absolutely McS, 2018 could very well decide the future of this Police Service, all eyes will be on the way they deal with bonfires, the erection of loyalist paramilitary flags in mixed areas, the implementation of PC rulings on the marching issues etc.

Their record in dealing with these things this past few years leaves a lot to be desired and I honestly believe most people, particularly those who live in Nationalist areas are sick to the back teeth of their total incompetence on these very important issues that threaten peace and harmony.

McSlaggart

PSNI ACC Mark Hamilton has said police have been investigating a series of murders and other serious crimes by the UVF in north Belfast since 2010, following investigations and reports by the Police Ombudsman and the Historical Enquiries Team. He said: "Our thoughts today are first and foremost with the victims and their families especially those murdered by Gary Haggarty; namely Sean McParland who was shot in front of his young grandchildren in February 1994 and died as a result 8 days later; Eamon Fox and Gary Convie who were shot dead as they ate their lunch in their car in May 1994, Sean McDermott who was shot dead in August 1994 and John Harbinson who was attacked on May 18, 1997.

Read more at: https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/psni-chief-pays-tribute-to-families-after-difficult-gary-haggarty-trial-1-8354690

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies