PSNI Suppress News of Sectarian Assault For Five Weeks, BBC Content to Downplay It

picador

PSNI Suppress News of Sectarian Assault For Five Weeks, BBC Content to 'Downplay' It

Two men were chased and beaten by a gang in Derry on October 24th. Another man was beaten when he tried to help the victims. Five weeks on police have finally got around to releasing details of this assault to the media and appealing to the public for help in finding those responsible.

Though the police have said that motive for the assault was sectarian apparently someone at the BBC has trouble accepting this at face value - and so the familiar speech-marks make an appearance (see text in link)

BBC News - Men chased in 'sectarian' assault

Without seeking to overblow this sordid incident the delay in appealing for information is simply unacceptable, as is the state media's reticence in calling a spade a 'spade'.

Last edited:

former wesleyan

Two men were chased and beaten by a gang in Derry on October 24th. Another man was beaten when he tried to help the victims. Five weeks on police have finally got around to releasing details of this assault to the media and appealing to the public for help in finding those responsible.

Though the police have said that motive for the assault was sectarian apparently someone at the BBC has trouble accepting this at face value - and so the familiar speech-marks make an appearance (see text in link)

BBC News - Men chased in 'sectarian' assault

Without seeking to overblow this sordid incident the delay in appealing for information is simply unacceptable, as is the state media's reticence in calling a spade a 'spade'.
The parenthesis perform the same function as " alleged " does... ie.prevents prejudgement and loss of any case which may accrue and "compo ".

picador

The parenthesis perform the same function as " alleged " does... ie.prevents prejudgement and loss of any case which may accrue and "compo ".
Except that cannot be the case here as no named individuals are referred to. So there must be some other motive at play.

picador

Does it have to involve named individuals ?

The incident is specified. That would be enough.
I hardly think the unidentified culprits are about to step forward and mount a legal case claiming they were unfairly labelled as 'sectarian'.

Ergo the sub-editor at the BBC had another reason for his / her reticence - complying with some directive I imagine.

The BBC frequently uses quote marks in relation to sectarainism
http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&expIds=17259,27586,27744&xhr=t&q=bbc+sectarian+attack+northern+ireland&cp=13&pf=p&sclient=psy&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=1aac15d7857edbcb

But is not so reticent about racist / xenophobic attacks
http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&expIds=17259,27586,27744&xhr=t&q=bbc+racist+attack+northern+ireland&cp=10&pf=p&sclient=psy&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=1aac15d7857edbcb

The BBC applies different standards - depending on where the victim(s) comes from and what accent they speak with.

Last edited:

Cruimh

I hardly think the unidentified culprits are about to step forward and mount a legal case claiming they were unfairly labelled as 'sectarian'.

Ergo the sub-editor at the BBC had another reason for his / her reticence - complying with some directive I imagine.
You cannot really misunderstand the issue - or can you ?

The point isn't that culprits might come forward now - the point is that at a future trial the defence lawyer could claim that a Jury might have been prejudiced.

It's certainly interesting as to why the appeal has taken so long to amterialise - though I can think of one innocent explanation.

And the BBC has run with it immediately - I don't see any mention of it on the irish News, Bel tel or RTE as yet.

idle tim

The point isn't that culprits might come forward now - the point is that at a future trial the defence lawyer could claim that a Jury might have been prejudiced.

It's certainly interesting as to why the appeal has taken so long to amterialise - though I can think of one innocent explanation.

And the BBC has run with it immediately - I don't see any mention of it on the irish News, Bel tel or RTE as yet.
Dont hold your breath waiting for RTE to catch up on the story,too busy out in FFs propaganda headquarters making puke enducing diatribe TV/Radio programmes for the Sheeple.

Cruimh

The Journal isn't carrying it - but the Sentinel has this

Three men suffer broken noses in sectarian attack

Published Date: 01 December 2010

THREE men have suffered broken noses and bruising in a suspected sectarian attack in Londonderry.
Neither the Journal nor the Sentinel have a mention of the incident in their archives though the Journal has a piece on thuggery - 3 punishment attacks that week.

picador

A matter does not become sub-judice until charges are brought.

As a quick Google search reveals the BBC reports 'sectarian' incidents differently from racial / xenophobic incidents. The BBC is 'sceptical' about sectarian incidents in a way which it is not generally sceptical about racist / xenophobic incidents which are invariably labelled racist without the speech marks. The term racist is very bad in BBC-speak though often the term xenophobic would be more appropriate (e.g. where Eastern Europeans are involved). Sectarian generally gets the speech marks treatment.

I can think of some not so innocent explantions, which may or may not be close to the mark

The BBC has reported the story albeit very low down on its NI page. I imagine the others will catch up when the PSNI bother to put a statement about the incident on their website.

This was a serious incident and the people responsible should be taken off the streets before they do it to somebody else.

james toney

That didnt take long.

picador

It's priorities though - I'd say the 3 shootings in Derry that week would be more urgent.
Cruimh, these guys sustained pretty serious injuries. A guy who tried to help the first two was attacked. It could easily have turned out worse - as this case (also from Derry) illustrates.

The gang that did this must be stopped - just as the gang that carried out the shooting must be stopped. It's not an either / or situation.

Cruimh

Cruimh, these guys sustained pretty serious injuries. A guy who tried to help the first two was attacked. It could easily have turned out worse - as this case (also from Derry) illustrates.

The gang that did this must be stopped - just as the gang that carried out the shooting must be stopped. It's not an either / or situation.
The way to tackle it is to give the PSNI support, not criticise them.

Mickeymac

"PSNI Suppress News of Sectarian Assault For Five Weeks, BBC Content to Downplay It"

When the PSNI release a statement saying "they are looking into a motive for this attack" you can bet your bottom dollar the victims are Catholic.

picador

The way to tackle it is to give the PSNI support, not criticise them.
Ha, ha, typical lazy peeler cover your own arse defence. Sure what does it matter if thugs gets off scot free!?

picador

When the PSNI release a statement saying "they are looking into a motive for this attack" you can bet your bottom dollar the victims are Catholic.
It seems the PSNI told someone at the BBC that the attack was sectarian. However I suspect from the apparent lack of vigour in the police investigation that you may be well right in your assumption.

Mickeymac

It seems the PSNI told someone at the BBC that the attack was sectarian. However I suspect from the apparent lack of vigour in the police investigation that you may be well right in your assumption.

It's a very safe assumption Pic, they have been doing it for yonks.

picador

It's a very safe assumption Pic, they have been doing it for yonks.
Well, we'll have to see. Naturally people will share your suspicions. And naturally the likes of our friend will pretend the police should be above criticism.

Mickeymac

Well, we'll have to see. Naturally people will share your suspicions. And naturally the likes of our friend will pretend the police should be above criticism.

Our friend like many onionists will never accept the fact that the BA/UDR/B Specials/RUC/PSNI ever done anthing untoward.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies