Psychiatry to update its illnesses manual, invites debate: do you agree ?

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
DSM V - the 5th edition of Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders is now available in draft form. This is pretty much the standard manual for mental illnesses and - as mental illnesses have a social element, the categorizations prove controversial

Homosexuality for example used to be classified as a paraphilla in DSM I & II

Fetishests had been campaigning to get some of their paraphilias removed... but to no avail, indeed the manual recognizes a new one - Paraphilic Coercive Disorder, along with controversial old ones such as : Transvestic Fetishism ,Sexual Masochism & Voyeurism.

Addiction to "normal" sex has not yet been categorised as a paraphilia - but they're keeping a watchful eye.

There's also changes to learning disorders - e.g. replacing the controversial term "mental retardation" with "intellectual disability" ... and new "moral disorders" e.g. Callous and Unemotional Specifier for Conduct Disorder

What is mad... and what is not is a subject that needs healthy debate - "madness" is often informed by the norms of our time.... are all these disorders madness ?

Ultimately this new manual will cause political and legislative action - so it needs wide debate !

Here's a good overview news story:
Big Changes for Psychiatrist's 'Bible'

Here's the proposed draft
Home | APA DSM-5

cYp

liamfoley

I hear binge eating will be added, on a serious note the manual is used by insurance providers and if a new disorder is added it might make it more difficult for people with disorders to get insurance.

TradCat

cYp

"madness" is often informed by the norms of our time
No doubt. So let's not be shy about it.

I suggest fiscal irresponsibility. Let's lobotomise Bertie.

Celebrity obsession, Compulsive Facebook Disorder.

Dictatorship Syndrome by Proxy, the main symptom is trying to run the country and/or the world through a talkboard.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnzHtm1jhL4"]YouTube- Napoleon XIV: 'They're coming to take me away'[/ame]

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
I hear binge eating will be added, on a serious note the manual is used by insurance providers and if a new disorder is added it might make it more difficult for people with disorders to get insurance.
Yep - binge eating as distinct from bulimia is going in

Proposed Revision | APA DSM-5
A. Recurrent episodes of binge eating. An episode of binge eating is characterized by both of the following:

1. eating, in a discrete period of time (e.g., within any 2-hour period), an amount of food that is definitely larger than most people would eat in a similar period of time under similar circumstances

2. a sense of lack of control over eating during the episode (e.g., a feeling that one cannot stop eating or control what or how much one is eating)

B. The binge-eating episodes are associated with three (or more) of the following:[more]

cYp

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com

politicaldonations

I think these diagnostic criteria are becoming less morally or culturally based and rightly so. Just waiting for the anti psychiatry posters to come on here and slam the profession and claim theres no such thing as mental illness.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
I think it is awful that psychiatrists are backing up the persecution of those with unusual sexual tastes:

'Sex dungeon' found in sleepy Devon village - Telegraph

Officers were alerted after neighbours reported "unusual behaviour" and "strange sounds" coming from the four-bedroomed house in Lee Mill, Devon.
The sex dungeon was then found in a converted room filled with "hundreds" of items including whips, gas masks, wooden bats, handcuffs, clothes pegs and shackles.
A 38-year-old man from Lee Mill, a 21-year-old woman from Ivybridge, Devon, and a 24-year-old woman from Plymouth have been arrested in connection with the incident.
They have been released on police bail until April 30 to allow police to carry out further enquiries.
DS Gilroy said: "We are glad to have disturbed this activity and restored normality to the neighbourhood. We would also like to thank residents who reported the activity to us."

Eurocitizen

There are some pople on this site that need help , they do this to people;)

Eurocitizen

:eek:

Cassandra Syndrome

Psychiatry's biggest failure is that it never found a cure for Psychopaths. These people have disrupted the progress of humanity to the nth degree and find their way into being prominent decision makers.

Eurocitizen

Fing Fers

From the day of the first Psychiatrist to today, not one single patent has been cured of illness diagnosed by Psychiatrist. The illness diagnosed by Psychiatrist is a made up illness, an illness not based on scientific study its an illness created then voted into their "bible".

Every year more and more illnesses are added to their "bible". Some of their illness are ridiculous, no matter who you are or what you do a Psychiatrist will find something wrong with you.

When is the last time you heard someone say, "Psychiatrist gave me the all clear".

Con job, money and drugs racket, swine flu on a much greater scale. School Kids in the USA are forced into meeting's with Psychiatrist against parents will, they are being diagnosed for all kinds of stuff an made take medication. Pretty much all the school kids responsible for the mass shootings were on medication advised to take via Psychiatrist.

Eurocitizen

Last edited:

Eurocitizen

pjoz

I heard Kenny of late convey pride in being the leader of the party that oversaw the formation of the defence forces.If he can take pride in that act Id love to know what his views are on that bunch pictured above.Would the new or the old Enda answer I wonder?Illnesses really are so difficult to define.I listen to Enda and think he's delusional,yet he leads the most popular party in the country.Is it just me im left to ponder?

irish_bob

unfortunatley , due to the fact that pc wooly liberals call the shots in relation to mental health in this country , it is in reality almost impossible to have someone admitted against thier will in this country unless they litterally kill someone 1st

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies