Public and Private Sector Workers - common ground??

inthemire

Actually, this thread comes from a post i put up earlier in the Private Sector Workers thread

I'm trying to establish common ground between the put upon Private Sector worker and the similarly put upon Public Sector Worker

1. both have mortgages/borrowings/debts to meet
2. both fear reduction in salaries
3. both have dependents in most cases
4. both don't really understand the economic disaster fully
5. both are desperately seeking leadership which is not forthcoming from ANY sector of society
6. both feel completely helpless at what is occurring
7. both are VERY VERY angry that they are being asked to pay for the sins of people who are still in positions of authority, power and wealth
8. both are very worried about the corruption in banks, politics and positions of influence
9. both are aware that cutting and raising taxes will probably screw up the growth in the economy, and in all probability lead us into depression, unless we lengthen the repayment date to 2016 or 2017
10. both have children who will be looking for jobs in the future and both realise the importance of an economy that is growing or at least marking time.
11. both have been manipulated into entrenched positions by spin from both politicians, Media organisations employer organisations and trade unions, leading to a lack of dialogue and mutually beneficial ideas to move things forward.

That said,

I accept and agree that Private Sector workers face the spectre of unemployment FAR MORE FREQUENTLY AND PROBABLY than those in the public sector.

I accept and agree that some in the Public Sector are cushioned from the realities of working in the private Sector.

I don't accept for a moment that Public Sector workers are SOLELY to blame for the current economic crisis.

I don't accept for a moment that Public Servants are to SOLELY to blame for the banking crisis and the losses incurred by banks.

Please add to the list if you can see areas where BOTH Public and Private Sector people share worries, concerns or IDEAS!!!!!

Come on - most people who post here CARE about Ireland, CARE about what's happening, regardless of the Public/Private non-issues.

Last edited:

Gardener

Actually, this thread comes from a post i put up earlier in the Private Sector Workers thread

I'm trying to establish common ground between the put upon Private Sector worker and the similarly put upon Public Sector Worker

1. both have mortgages/borrowings/debts to meet
2. both fear reduction in salaries
3. both have dependents in most cases
4. both don't really understand the economic disaster fully
5. both are desperately seeking leadership which is not forthcoming from ANY sector of society
6. both feel completely helpless at what is occurring
7. both are VERY VERY angry that they are being asked to pay for the sins of people who are still in positions of authority, power and wealth
8. both are very worried about the corruption in banks, politics and positions of influence
9. both are aware that cutting and raising taxes will probably screw up the growth in the economy, and in all probability lead us into depression, unless we lengthen the repayment date to 2016 or 2017
10. both have children who will be looking for jobs in the future and both realise the importance of an economy that is growing or at least marking time.
11. both have been manipulated into entrenched positions by spin from both politicians, Media organisations employer organisations and trade unions, leading to a lack of dialogue and mutually beneficial ideas to move things forward.

That said,

I accept and agree that Private Sector workers face the spectre of unemployment FAR MORE FREQUENTLY AND PROBABLY than those in the public sector.

I accept and agree that some in the Public Sector are cushioned from the realities of working in the private Sector.

I don't accept for a moment that Public Sector workers are to blame for the current economic crisis.

I don't accept for a moment that Public Servants are to blame for the banking crisis.

Please add to the list if you can see areas where BOTH Public and Private Sector people share worries, concerns or IDEAS!!!!!

Come on - most people who post here CARE about Ireland, CARE about what's happening, regardless of the Public/Private non-issues.
Great post..about time someone posted something like this. Instead of blaming one side or the other (which is absolute rubbish and a complete waste of time) we need to recognise that private sector workers and public sector workers have many of the same worries/issues and should be directing their anger in the same direction (at the government if you ask me..they had, what 12/13 years in power after all) and try and find solutions out of this mess that are fair to every member and group of society

fizzgig

I think all ordinary citizens both private and public realise that we are the ones who are going to be shafted. We go to work everyday, try to pay our bills and have all taken cuts over the past few years. Then we look at our politicians and see that they are happy to tell us that we must sacrifice and take the burden of cuts but they are going to keep on going in the same old way. We, as the citizens of this country need to stand together and hold the ground against these gombeen men.

maxthedog

A

I don't accept for a moment that Public Sector workers are to blame for the current economic crisis.

I don't accept for a moment that Public Servants are to blame for the banking crisis.

The financial reguator is a PS worker and he was incompetent.

inthemire

The financial reguator is a PS worker and he was incompetent.
Fair point!:oops:

How about this for an amendment?

"I don't accept that Public Sector workers are SOLELY responsible for the banking crisis?"

I think they've been demonised disproportionately when compared to the many banks who gave out the money!

But I am VERY Angry with the regulator, the government, and any other person who facilitated this disaster, be they public or private. they ALL must be accountable. And it is up to us public and private sector honest citizens to insist that this happen.

ifreannach

who do we insist to? I mean as i pointed out in your other thread we know we are being shafted and passed around but our ability to stop this in the eyes of the law, media etc is zero.

youhad people on here complaining about the councilor pouring paint on harney yet she is the one being demonised and criminalised by the media and posters.

it was the same with the protests last wednesday, eirigi are demonised and sinn fein ridiculed yet brian lenihan is hailed as a master of his brief...go figure

I have worked in both public and private sector and i know that the operational word in that statement is WORKED, however a lot of people are so stupid they allow themselves be lied to and will vote for the gombeens who promote the divide

Barnacle

The Public/Private Sector divide is mainly argued by and on behalf of the Low/Middle Income Earners. Each sector has a valid argument and are both affected. This divide does not go on between the higher Income Earners in both sectors. The Government are quite happy with this argument continuing as it distracts from many other issues. As per usual, it will be Low/Middle Income Earners that are hit most. This will be highlighted in their failure to bring in any form of Wealth Tax, their attempt will be in the form of a Property Tax and has been highlighted in their failure to reduce the salaries of the High Earners in the Public Service.

The country is broke, the people who have the money should be targeted before the average citizen. They are always making excuses that this tax, or that tax will only bring in a small amount and then they choose to ignore it totally. Cutting the cars will only save a small amount, so what if it is only a small amount, all these small amounts add up. There are so many tax breaks that can really only be accessed by the High Income Earners and the Wealthy, will they touch them, highly unlikely.

Tea Party Patriot

No one is saying Public Sector workers were responsible for the banking crisis.

However it is well know that several departments are overstaffed, underproductive, and need to be seriously rationalised. Public Sector pay is also running well ahead of private sector pay, where are the calls for benchmarking now?

While people in general in Ireland will share many of the issues you have outlined above in common, it still does not justify the size of our public sector and will not close our budget deficit.

I swear it’s like civil servants are spamming threads this morning calling for unity with private sector workers, when in reality they are saying: "we want our jobs for life and no pay cut at your expense".

Just because people aren’t happy with the government doesn’t mean they can’t be justifiably unhappy with the civil service as well.

limericklady

Surely this isnt still a public/private row - there are powerful and powerless people in both sectors. The powerful make decisions and the rest of us do the work.

inthemire

Surely this isnt still a public/private row - there are powerful and powerless people in both sectors. The powerful make decisions and the rest of us do the work.
Thank you.

can we try to stay on Topic and have posters suggest areas of COMMON GROUND That's the intention of this topic!! Ways forward, not ways backward and pointless (pun intended) finger pointing!!

I've never said the public service were perfect, far from it! But to infer that the private sector is "better" than the Public service is like comparing apples and oranges, imo. They're completely different environments, having worked for many years in both.

Suggestions please!!!

inthemire

8 hours later. no suggestions.

interesting. Sad, but interesting. peoples positive energies being channelled into negative name calling, sniping, etc..etc.. judging by many of the more recent posts!!

Ah well, we'll keep on trying!

waterford

I thought it was a great idea for a thread and the common ground is pointed out clearly on the post. People need to start thinking positive if we are to move on.

TonyBird

Seems to be some agenda at work . If ideas are welcome , why was 'limericklady' pulled up for going 'off topic' ? Even though she made a valid point .
It is about the 'powerful' folks making decisions . Bad decisions imo .
The 'grunts' on the floor , in both sectors have to take the consequences .
Im afraid I cant be positive about that situation .

scallioneater

I would suggest that public sector and private sector workers unite for the one that that most can agree on. March for an election now before FF can make the situation even worse.
This would be a start of calling people to account for this mess and appropriately it would be at the top. After we get rid of FF then the public sector and private sector workers can start blaming each other for the mess. At least well have a government that is not trying to hide previous mistakes by making bigger ones.

new politics

Well, first of all, the GOVERNMENT are totally at fault here. They encouraged the bankers to lend money left right and centre in order to bring in tax revenues that had begun to decline.
There is TWO storms at work here.

1.The property bubble, which was blown up by bankers and developers, with air from the government.
2. The Public sector Unions, who seeing all this money succumed to temptation and discracefuly hiked up the pay of public sector workers to a level that is now unsustainable. And they also introduced discraceful 'entitlements' which when you look at them are embarassing.

The private sector people who are at fault here are less than 1%.
The public sector now have to cut their cloth to measure.

If you have a mortage and debt so what? thats a personal choice that other people havent made.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies