Public art : The missing narrative :

Hillmanhunter1

Their is a need to balance our towns cultural statues/public art. It has been suggested we add to the public art and not remove any that currently exists. What statues do you think would balance the public narrative in your home town? I personally would be boring and love a big statue of Sétanta/Cú Chulainn.

Magherafelt's new sculpture branded a 'monstrosity' - Mid Ulster Mail
I think that you can't be allowed to get away with the bald statement that "Their (sic) is a need to balance our towns cultural statues/public art." without explaining what you consider the imbalance to be.

Your post is deficient - have another stab at it.

McSlaggart

I think that you can't be allowed to get away with the bald statement that "Their (sic) is a need to balance our towns cultural statues/public art." without explaining what you consider the imbalance to be.

What? Outside of Derry the public art is either British/Unionist or bland lets all get along together abstract rubbish.

Hillmanhunter1

What? Outside of Derry the public art is either British/Unionist or bland lets all get along together abstract rubbish.
I don't think this is true, but don't forget that the Unionists and the bland are Irish too.

By the way, there is a beautiful statue of Cu Chulainn in the GPO:
http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/cugpo.jpg

Another in Louth:
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/6d/61/3a/6d613a0e35773be2af94bb7a610127f8--irish-mythology-irish-pride.jpg

And another in Kildare:
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-1C1XwcRvMa8/V_bcJNO4w5I/AAAAAAAALJg/s3JHO-1I6_IJ-65d56Y0_06enLI-GbTxQCLcB/s1600/Cuchulain.jpg

Hillmanhunter1

? No one is taking down the existing public art. It is time that Nationalist/Republican art to put up on public display.
Without for a minute diminishing the importance of Nationalist/Republican art, I think principal merit is not artistic, that is certainly true of anything I've seen in Derry.

vivabrigada

Tower Blocks in the New Lodge were named after British military leaders, racist politicians and military jargon by the old unionist Belfast City Corporation.
Local people changed them legally.
What unionists don't understand is they no longer control, legislation, the police, the courts and the councils.
Balance means my culture is enitled to equality, curry my yoghurt crassness backfired, it won't be tolerated. Five parties showed up today to support an Irish Language Act.
Well done Fleggory.

GDPR

Their is a need to balance our towns cultural statues/public art. It has been suggested we add to the public art and not remove any that currently exists. What statues do you think would balance the public narrative in your home town? I personally would be boring and love a big statue of Sétanta/Cú Chulainn.

Magherafelt's new sculpture branded a 'monstrosity' - Mid Ulster Mail
That sounds really cool. One of the bad things about the South is that a lot of the more recent public sculpture down here is utterly meaningless and grotesque abstract nonsense, the Spike in Dublin being the prime example.

Ó Ghabhainn

Statues are being torn down in the US because they are offensive to equality. The seeds of the current division were sewed when they were put up. So that should be avoided here.

Cú Chulainn is not offensive as I see it, nor should the Red Hand be. And there are current prominent figures.

Do centuries get ignored?

McSlaggart

Statues are being torn down in the US because they are offensive to equality. The seeds of the current division were sewed when they were put up. So that should be avoided here.
Do you want to take down Queen victoria statue?

Socratus O' Pericles

We have this:

which becomes this around the Winter Solstice each year:

Personally I'd like a fiberglass flying saucer.

Mickeymac

I find this monument very suitable for small towns and communities and for all those who value peace/equality and Liberty.

Sword of Gideon

? No one is taking down the existing public art. It is time that Nationalist/Republican art to put up on public display.
Why should any new art that is political be displayed in public, if it is going to cause division? Is it not the same as flags, marking out territory, and we know what people think about that.

AhNowStop

Why should any new art that is political be displayed in public, if it is going to cause division? Is it not the same as flags, marking out territory, and we know what people think about that.
Hmmm, so I presume it would follow that all "existing" political displays be removed ?

McSlaggart

Either you have a situation that the only public art is that which does not cause division or you have a balance approach to public art.

Popular Threads

Most Replies