Public consultation on Dublin's LPT FF/FG/Labour's Bankster Tax

venusian

https://consultation.dublincity.ie/finance/lpt-consultation-2018/
Under section 20 of the Finance (Local Property Tax) Act 2012, a Local Authority may as a reserved function resolve to vary the basic rate of the Local Property Tax within its functional area by a maximum of +/-15%

Dublin City Council has an online survey on whether Dubliner's want the LPT increased or decreased.
Have your say here:-
https://consultation.dublincity.ie/finance/lpt-consultation-2018/consultation/intro/

Piesters, The totally inequitable LPT charge, the debased Noonan's tax rape of private family homes Banksters tax, was brought in by FF/FG/"labour'. A tax based on private family homes based on where a person lives is and always will be totally inequitable and it is an anti Dublin and anti urban dwellers tax. Services provided by DCC should be paid from fair and equitable general taxation, not money looted from family homes! I look forward to kicking the political head in of any piece of political faeces of a politician that dares to defend it. So roll on the next election.

In the mean time you can take the survey and have your say here online in DCC
https://consultation.dublincity.ie/finance/lpt-consultation-2018/consultation/intro/

D

Deleted member 48908

That's about the most ridiculous survey I've ever seen. One or two overly simplistic questions per page.

Asking whether you want the govt to increase your tax burden! Really?! What's the point of this? Who in their right mind thought it was worthwhile spending that tax money on such a frivolous survey. FFS, someone at Dublincity.ie would want to have their head examined.

edwin

https://consultation.dublincity.ie/finance/lpt-consultation-2018/
Under section 20 of the Finance (Local Property Tax) Act 2012, a Local Authority may as a reserved function resolve to vary the basic rate of the Local Property Tax within its functional area by a maximum of +/-15%

Dublin City Council has an online survey on whether Dubliner's want the LPT increased or decreased.
Have your say here:-

Piesters, The totally inequitable LPT charge, the debased Noonan's tax rape of private family homes Banksters tax, was brought in by FF/FG/"labour'. A tax based on private family homes based on where a person lives is and always will be totally inequitable and it is an anti Dublin and anti urban dwellers tax. Services provided by DCC should be paid from fair and equitable general taxation, not money looted from family homes! I look forward to kicking the political head in of any piece of political faeces of a politician that dares to defend it. So roll on the next election.

In the mean time you can take the survey and have your say here online in DCC
Property tax is a perfectly fair form of taxing wealth and is a feature of taxation in most developed countries. I suggest you suck it up and quit the hyperventilating.

D

Deleted member 48908

Property tax is a perfectly fair form of taxing wealth and is a feature of taxation in most developed countries. I suggest you suck it up and quit the hyperventilating.
I agree with your sentiments, but I do think that there's room for improvement in the way that it's applied in Ireland.

venusian

LPT is not a fair and equitable tax. :roll:property tax per se may be a fair tax if correctly and equitably constructed. LPT is a totally unfair rip off charge on family homes.
By all means please be happy yourself to suck up whatever loathsome politician that supports LPT if it keeps you happy.;)

bonkers

How much do millionaire ranchers pay?

Old Mr Grouser

Property tax is a perfectly fair form of taxing wealth ...
No, it isn't, or at least not always.

In the case of Ireland property prices vary massively from county to county, so this is going to be very much a tax on Dubliners.

Further a very high rate tax, going along with a rapid rise in property values if a road is 'gentrified' might mean that a poor family, living in a house that their family have lived in and owned for generations, could be forced out.

I'm not making this up. Before Mrs Thatcher replaced the Rates with the Poll Tax that was happening in parts of Islington and elsewhere.here in London.

I knew of one family that went out of their house with all of them crying; and their new neighbours were glad to see them go. "At least the high rates are getting rid of the riff-raff", was their idea. And since those new people had no intention of living in the area for more than a few years they in their minds were setting-off the annual property tax against the vastly larger appreciation in the re-sale value of their houses.

Property taxes can be an abomination.

Think about it. Isn't it a Penal Law situation if a man is forced out of his house simply because another richer man wants to live there? Because that's all it is in situations where people are hit with a high property tax along with frequent Re-Valuations and "Gentrification".

Last edited:

HarshBuzz

It would depend on the value of their individual property or properties. Why do you ask?

Also, 'ranch'? Are you American?
He eats large quantities of Rancheros and is thus naturally concerned

ShoutingIsLeadership

It's a house tax, not a property tax.

If it's a wealth tax, why is it charged against negative equity houses, where the value of the house is less than the amount paid for it?

And if it's a taxation of wealth, why are mortgaged houses taxed?

Also, there's a generation living in houses which they paid tens of thousands in property tax on (aka stamp duty), at the point of purchase.

Last edited:

greengoose2

If it's a wealth tax, why is it charged against negative equity houses, where the value of the house is less than the amount paid for it?

Also, there's a generation living in houses which they paid tens of thousands in property tax (aka stamp duty), at the point of purchase.
That narrative doesn't suit the looney left so leave it out! Everybody should be entitled to free houses, free medical care, free whatever you're having yourself.

Remember the "work is the curse of the drinking class" saying, attributed to Wilde?

People are entitled to whatever but who gets to pay? The eejit who bought a house perhaps?

HarshBuzz

Also, there's a generation living in houses which they paid tens of thousands in property tax on (aka stamp duty), at the point of purchase.
I always thought of property tax as a 'provision of local services' tax.

It's not as though it's a new concept. We're whining about something that exists in every other developed country - usually at much higher rates.

ShoutingIsLeadership

I always thought of property tax as a 'provision of local services' tax.

It's not as though it's a new concept. We're whining about something that exists in every other developed country - usually at much higher rates.
Renters don't avail of those services?

Taxing people on the paper value of their home, while ignoring how much they owe on it, is very much a new concept in this country.

HarshBuzz

Renters don't avail of those services?

Taxing people on the paper value of their home, while ignoring how much they owe on it, is very much a new concept in this country.
But not in France, Britain, Germany, Australia, the US, Sweden....

Just because people don't like paying certain taxes doesn't mean they're a bad idea.

Also, and at a tax policy level, having an overly narrow tax base was one of the root causes of the crash. This was one of the (correct) Troika measures to remediate that. As was water charges. Populist calks to remove LPT are short-sighted in the extreme.

ShoutingIsLeadership

But not in France, Britain, Germany, Australia, the US, Sweden....

Just because people don't like paying certain taxes doesn't mean they're a bad idea.

Also, and at a tax policy level, having an overly narrow tax base was one of the root causes of the crash. This was one of the (correct) Troika measures to remediate that. As was water charges. Populist calks to remove LPT are short-sighted in the extreme.

Taxing the same people in additional ways is not broadening the tax base, it's just taxing the same people more.

Also, just because somebody doesn't like a tax, it doesn't mean that they are wrong.

Ireland has a generation of people living in homes which are symbols of debt and suffering, not wealth.

Speaking of France...

The world’s most famous economist thinks the property tax is unfair*

New Threads

Most Replies